My first sink!

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Rickington

My first sink!

Postby Rickington » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:04 am

Today, I had my first experience (finally!) of sinking into deep mud. I've been wanting to get myself into deep mud for a while now and I finally did it!

Where should I begin?

I recently moved from PA to southern NJ and with little luck in finding good mud in PA, I decided to look in NJ!

I looked at topographic maps and the locations of state parks, and I found a sinking location that had potential: Parvin State Park in southern New Jersey, which according to the map, half of which is a forested swamp. I was right! The park was full of mud and boy... was it deep(isn)!

Luckily for me, the spot I sank into today was fairly secluded because it's located at a part of a disused trail. The mud was waist-to-chest deep and was slightly watery, but still thick enough to enjoy. However, since it was in a forest, the spot was full of twigs, underwater branches, etc, thus making a deep spot a challenge. I was unable to lay back in the mud because of this. :/. I intend to go back next weekend to explore the park more

This brings me to my next topic... :D. Does anyone in PA or NJ know of any deep mud that's near-bottomless (or not in a forest ;))?

Boggy Man

Re: My first sink!

Postby Boggy Man » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:57 am

Congrats on your first sink! :D Have you tried Google Maps? The satellite imagery can give you a really good view of your region. 8-)
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Rickington,

I am from central NJ. There are a few nice spots around here. Not near bottomless, but waist deep maybe chest deep. I think Southern Jersey is better for deeper mud.

kwiksand1

Postby kwiksand1 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:01 am

Congratulations!
I totally agree with Boggy, Google Maps is a great companion to find the best sinking spots near you. I use Google Maps quite a bit to locate the sinky spots near me, and so far, it has delivered very good results.

Unfortunately, this past weekend was a bust, paddling for about 2 hours and never finding anything deeper than knee deep... but I managed to get some great exercise and now I know that I will be going back to the place I was at about 2 weeks ago.

Congrats, again!

Rickington

Postby Rickington » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:49 pm

Boggy Man wrote:Congrats on your first sink! :D Have you tried Google Maps? The satellite imagery can give you a really good view of your region. 8-)

That's what I used to find the spot, however, I was limiting myself to state/regional parks in my search. :P I also used a topographic map overlay for Google Earth to find marshes/swamps/etc. Personally, I'm ruling out quarries for legal and safety reasons, but hopefully with further searching, I'll find mud that's relatively free of debris in it. :D

bart1997

Postby bart1997 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Last edited by bart1997 on Fri May 08, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rickington

Postby Rickington » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:43 pm

bart1997 wrote:Another good source for possible spots are the geocaching sites / maps like this one:

https://www.geocaching.com/map/default. ... 14163&z=15
(It's more useful to switch the upper right button to "OSM default style")

Sometimes you are lucky and the caches at marshy/boggy locations do even contain hints like "very muddy terrain", "don't leave the path" or the like ;)

Thanks!

Rickington

Postby Rickington » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:56 am

Well, I had another sink today, thigh deep this time, it wasn't very stimulating :twisted:... probably because it wasn't smooth or creamy mud :|. It was gritty and full of twigs... even found the odd plastic cup (I hate people who litter at parks!) in the water. Here's hoping to finding something deeper and smoother!

Question for those who've sunken in other types of mud, what's your favorite type of mud to sink into?

mrcactus747

Postby mrcactus747 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:45 am

HI there! Is there any place in Western PA????

mrcactus747

Postby mrcactus747 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:48 am

And also is there a place where I can park my camper trailer while I go sinking someday we could meet and share the experience.

Return to “General Discussion”