Help with the first submersion

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Common3000

Help with the first submersion

Postby Common3000 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:37 pm

Hello, I'm a new member of this community. I have been into sinking for a while now, and I'd like to try out submersion for the first time ever. What should I exactly know before I get started? Any useful tips?

Re: Help with the first submersion

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:22 am

Common3000 wrote:Hello, I'm a new member of this community. I have been into sinking for a while now, and I'd like to try out submersion for the first time ever. What should I exactly know before I get started? Any useful tips?

Here is one from Quicksandfans.

Do not go sinking alone.

stevensh12

Postby stevensh12 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:18 am

Take a strong sturdy rope with you
i'm just an idiot with a box and a screwdriver

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:48 am

The above, plus earplugs, and one of those industrial safety eyewash bottles.

Actually, just found this- turns a regular water bottle into an eyewash bottle:

https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Eye-Wash-Adapter-Contaminants/dp/B01AT3LOD4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1483580753&sr=8-10&keywords=eye+wash+bottle
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:58 am

Hold your breath. You might even want to practice. you'll start breathing again after you black out.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:21 pm

Common3000 wrote:Hello, I'm a new member of this community. I have been into sinking for a while now, and I'd like to try out submersion for the first time ever. What should I exactly know before I get started? Any useful tips?

Define "into sinking".

Have you been sinking in quicksand for awhile or have you only been fantasizing about sinking in quicksand for awhile?

If you have been sinking into mud deep enough to play the role of quicksand at natural locations for awhile and have not yet submerged, then I wonder what you're sinking into that has such a grip on you that you're afraid to submerge. Don't do it.

If you have only been fantasizing about sinking, then, you have no experience and so you need to start at the beginning. Find your mudpit (the biggest challenge of all), go slow, sink shallowly, and only attempt a submersion when you have 100% confidence that you can handle your body in your mudpit.

It could take awhile.

Nessie

joedeep130535

Postby joedeep130535 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:27 pm

A suggestion,which is cheating ,for a first submersion Find your mud-it only needs to be a couple of feet deep,Lie down in it, roll about until covered. Then ,lying on your front ,put your face & head under This gives a reasonable idea of what full submersion feels like & you can "surface" very easily. If you enjoy this & can clean eyes ,nose etc well you are ready for the real thing At least you will know what you are getting into & how to deal with it
Do remember that coming up is possibly harder work than going down & have a few trial sinks to mouth,nose etc before submerging completely
ENJOY

Diremire1234

Postby Diremire1234 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:10 am

You will feel as if you are entering another dimension, but in reality, you simply hold your breath and voila! You are there. In fact, when you go swimming and hold your breath, it is, in many ways, the same. One important thing to remember, nonetheless, is that your mobility will be significantly more limited. Still, to test the proverbial 'waters', I would strongly advise a 'quickie' in order to familiarize yourself with the act should you get a bit excited and respiration becomes out of sync. Be sure to keep your eyes closed until you can effectively clear them of most of the mud as it can be gritty at times and may even sting a bit on occasion should you fail to clean them sufficiently. It will get into your ears as well, but this is to be expected. Funny, that as many times as i have done this, never has any gotten up my nose or into my mouth. As you become more and more acclimated to this most pleasing of endeavors, you'll find it easier and easier to do. I must tell you, however, that one time in Petersburg, Va. at a place we called 'Puddledock' ( have no idea where the name came from- quarry ), the mud was so thick and deep that I found myself with at least a foot to two feet of silt/mud above me and could still see the stars. Initially, I thought this was the coolest of experiences until the earthen layer(s) above me collapsed unexpectedly. It proved quite the struggle to resurface, though I didn't panic. I was just thankful I had plenty of air reserves and soon broke through to the surface. And yes, I was gasping for air, but this is exceedingly rare and it was entirely my own fault as I should have known better. The consistency was actually more clay-like at this depth, but still nature abhors a vacuum and the opening could simply not be sustained. A few inches in this sort of consistency is one thing, a few feet that I had to admittedly work myself down into is quite another. I would wager that you will likely never come across this sort of phenomenon, but if you do as you acquire more and more experience, you'll know not to do this or at least, what not to do. I must say it was simultaneously quite the sensation feeling trapped, but again, not advised. Thicker is better, but this was way too thick!! WHOA!!! BTW, welcome and I do hope this has proven helpful. No worries. I think you'll find that is a most thrilling experience and so desireable, that many of us will travel great distances to find the very best QS, silt or mud possible. If it is almost effortless to submerge, you have found Nirvanna!!! Good luck in your pursuits.
From a strictly psychological perspective, is it not a return to the womb?

Return to “General Discussion”