Dog in quicksand/mud?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
wolfpackalpha

Re: Dog in quicksand/mud?

Postby wolfpackalpha » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:37 am

dlodoski wrote:
wolfpackalpha wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:Somewhere in the back of my head I think we touched on the subject once before. Almost within minutes of my first arrival at the MPV Ranch in '98 we had a stray canine that plunged into the big Clay pit. I really don't think the little guy was very bright. Just sat there kind of looking like "Did I do that?" He managed to be just out of reach and Dave being a dog lover held on to the nearest tree and reached out to grab him by his long fur.

It might have been in 2000 that Janice's dog, a big Rottweiler named Atlas, walked into a scene thinking she was actually in trouble.

Then there was the time at Camp MPV that Dave's dog charged head long into a "Hollywood Quicksand" area. We laughed but he wasn't in on the joke. One very confused dog there.

Is the Clay pit thick or sticky enough for a dog to possibly get stuck or struggle in?

Yes, but fortunately for my dog, his feet now get dipped in fairy dust each spring. So he is able to walk across the clay pits with no problem.

I almost got sued though, because someone from town crashed his truck when he saw him running across the the pond on the property next to Camp MPV. :shock:

O_O

Tim Kelly

Postby Tim Kelly » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:51 am

It's my recollection that this happened at least once in "Land Of The Giants"; the (un)lucky mutt was Chipper, Barry(Stenfan Arngrim)'s bitser; on one occaision he was rescued by by android constructed by a giant, proving that the true test of humanity is kindness to animals (a rare reference to Philip K. Dick).
"Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh! Quicksand! I'm sinking! I'll go straight to the bottom of.......GLURP!"
(a month later)
"Ugh! Yukkkh! Ptui! I'm out of it! I'm free! Not even quicksand can defeat the power of.....the Eye of Zoltec!"

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:34 am

Tried to walk out, without notable success. That mud was really soft.

wolfpackalpha wrote:
nachtjaeger wrote:I used to have a Beagle/Rat Terrier cross named Samantha. One day, we were hiking along a swamp, and suddenly she came to perfect point, like a bird dog. I looked where she was pointing, and there was a big old bullfrog sitting on a hummock. That was fine, but then she decided to flush it for me like a bird dog. SPLUT! Up to her belly in soft swamp muck, and I had to drag her out by her leash. So I guess she was a Froghound.

How did she try to get free?
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:52 am

I took my cocker-terrier mix along on one exploration. Just shallow mud, nothing serious.

She turned out not to be heavy enough to sink in anything.

I didn't want her to sink. So when she just tiptoed over the surface, that was perfectly good.

I also didn't want her to bark at every single little thing while we were behind the cattails, which she absolutely did do.

From that day forward, mud-exploration time and doggie-exercising time were firmly separated.

Nessie

wolfpackalpha

Postby wolfpackalpha » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:36 am

nachtjaeger wrote:Tried to walk out, without notable success. That mud was really soft.

wolfpackalpha wrote:
nachtjaeger wrote:I used to have a Beagle/Rat Terrier cross named Samantha. One day, we were hiking along a swamp, and suddenly she came to perfect point, like a bird dog. I looked where she was pointing, and there was a big old bullfrog sitting on a hummock. That was fine, but then she decided to flush it for me like a bird dog. SPLUT! Up to her belly in soft swamp muck, and I had to drag her out by her leash. So I guess she was a Froghound.

How did she try to get free?

Was she struggling to walk out?

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:44 am

I recall a movie years ago, which I believe it might have been "The Ghost Of Cypress Swamp" (unless I got the movie mixed up with another), where early in the movie, a dog bolted off into the woods, and got stuck in quicksand. A boy who was chasing the dog waded into it, holding onto a log, and got the dog out, which then continued to bolt away, going after something.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

wolfpackalpha

Postby wolfpackalpha » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Anyone else?

wolfpackalpha

Postby wolfpackalpha » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:17 am

anything recently? :)

Return to “General Discussion”