BM Report #5:And The Stuff Just Keeps Getting Thicker!

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Boggy Man

BM Report #5:And The Stuff Just Keeps Getting Thicker!

Postby Boggy Man » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:39 am

The Boggy Man Report #5: And The Stuff Just Keeps Getting Thicker And Thicker - The Day That Almost Wasn't!

I targeted Friday, August 6'th for my next adventure, because they were predicting sunny skies with a high of 28˚C, or 82.4˚F! But, that morning, the forecast changed, calling for sunshine in the morning, becoming a mix of sun and clouds in the afternoon, with 60% chance of thunderstorms with a threat of hail and winds gusting to 70 kph, or 43.5 mph! :shock: So, I let the morning go by because I noticed clouds to the southeast and to the west, but after I had a bit more sleep in the morning, the clouds had gone! But, however, the air went from clear at 7 am to totally smoky by 10 am! :shock: The loss of visibility made it difficult to see what the clouds were doing at first, but I did make out some thunderheads to the southeast, which made me doubt going anywhere at all. :( But, I noticed that they quickly moved off to the east or northeast, as indicated by satellite imagery and radar imagery! :D So, after studying the skies, satellite and radar imagery all morning and hemming and hawing, I finally decided to go for it, since the weather was going to turn cooler and showerier over the next several days. My parents were also going on a trip for around 10 days, meaning my next opportunity later next week would involve me having to bike into the mountains on my own, and risk knee pain on the way up, and painful cramps in every leg muscle imaginable during my sinks! :shock: So, I couldn't wait to get a lift into the mountains by my dad, and sink into my Crescent Road pond bog again, seeing how much thicker it has become, mush up the surface to improve its surface texture, and finally shoot a video of a sink ! :D

So, I was dropped off in the very early afternoon by my dad, noticing a few small discarded marijuana plants laying on the side of the road. :shock: It felt not as warm as I had thought, and the smoke-filtered sun kept on going behind clouds that I hoped wouldn't turn into thunderstorms. Luckily, they kept on building and breaking up, and moving by. :)

I had anticipated having an off-camera underbog sink using either the breathing hose which I had to retrieve from its hiding spot on a beaver lodge by the northeast part of the pond, or a breathing tube (pvc pipe) that I brought along from home. I also took along my swim goggles and some other things, and headed to my sinking spot, noticing how the water levels did drop a bit, exposing more mud around the area. :) My sinking spot was still exposed, but once again, it had a thin film of mushy, wetter mud on top, likely because of a thundershower that passed through the previous day (I noticed some puddles on the main roads coming up). I could see how the rain had started to level out the irregularities of the surface that I had made last time. Because it still felt a bit on the marginal side temperature-wise, due to the smoky haze making the sunlight orangy, as well as the clouds that the sun kept on going behind, I decided not to bother with an underbog sink, instead opting for just a chest-deep sink to mix the mud nicely, whipping the surface up into a real nice gooey mess for the video later on. I swapped SDHC cards in my camera, to keep my sinking stuff separate from the other stuff.

I took some pictures of the state of the mud before I began my work:

CrescentBogViewD1.JPG

CrescentBogViewD2.JPG

I got undressed, and kept my glasses on, since I wasn't going under this time. Crouching on the north edge, I tested the thickness of the mire by stretching my legs over the mire, and placing my feet down onto the surface before standing up, to see how far I plunge down and how high I can carefully stand in it before the steady sink occurs. It turned out that that starting point was my waist, which I immediately plunged down to, so it was not as thick as I had hoped, but definitely thicker than before! :D I struggled, and savored the sink into the soft, but slightly thicker muck, with a dark brown upper surface that rose to my chest. I struggled, and then gradually worked my arms down into the mire, the surface closing over them. I proceeded to mush up the mud around me into a real pasty goo, working my body almost horizontal as I made swimming motions to break up the surface and mix it in. I also noticed that it was thicker around the edges and softer in the center, so I dragged thicker stuff from the sides towards the center, and evened out the resulting depressions on the edges. Once I was finished, I laid on my stomach, facing west, loving the feel of resting on my gooey, muddy "waterbed", the upper part of the mire feeling nice and warm on my body, meaning that some sunshine was actually working to warm the mud! :) I pushed my arms straight down, feeling the coolness deeper down, and struggled there, imagining that I was going to be sucked under, and didn't have anything to push down on to get up! :shock: After laying on my stomach for a brief time, I worked myself over to the north side, swishing mud from in front of me to behind me to keep it from bunching up between me and the edge. I wiped mud off my body and back into the bog as I dragged myself up higher and higher until I was sitting on the edge. I worked my legs and feet out, wiping the mud back into the bog, making certain I left no imprints in the mud, before finally cleaning up.

I headed to the south side, where there was a tinier pond, and stopped at the pasty clay on the western shoreline, to have another stimulating :twisted: horizontal struggle in its sticky thick gooeyness, first sinking my bent knees into the thick dough up to my crotch, and then my hands and arms in front of me, my stomach and chest starting to come into contact with the sticky surface, imagining that I was stuck and going to be sucked under! :shock: After that, I headed to the south side, where I cleaned up, finding myself feeling a bit chilled, making me wonder if I was going to be able to have a second sink. I returned to my things, got dressed, and on my way back to the north side, took a picture of some exposed mud on the western shore:

CrescentBogViewD3.JPG

I put my breathing hose back in its hiding place at a beaver lodge on the east shore of the northern part of the pond, and as I headed towards my bike, I snapped another picture:

CrescentBogViewD4.JPG

I put my things back into my saddlebags and took off for an hour, to let myself warm up, deciding to head up Crescent Road, to look at the area, since I hadn't been up there in quite some time. I discovered that there was a second roadside beaver pond to the west of the first that I had seen last time, to the south of the road, and this second one had some mud exposed, but it was also in view of the road. I decided to take a picture of it on the way back. I headed up to the lake that I believed to be Crescent Lake, and walked westward along a tiny part of its northern boggy shoreline, noticing the odd patch of mud here and there, but nothing much of interest. Feeling nicely warmed up, I headed back, briefly checking the beginning of another sideroad and noticing it branched in two directions, one heading south uphill, and the other heading west or northwest, following a marshy, willowy stream that fed the two ponds I had seen from the roadside. With that brief check of the road, I headed back, stopping at the other beaver pond, and took a picture of the band of black mud exposed there, although it did have some eroded tracks in it:

CrescentRoadsideBogView.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM Report #5:And The Stuff Just Keeps Getting Thicker!

Postby Boggy Man » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:47 am

I returned to my Crescent Road pond and to my sinking spot with only the things I needed, except for my insect repellent, which I wished I had retrieved from my bike. I took some pictures of my sinking spot, all mushed up nicely, and ready to suck me back in, this time all the way: :twisted:

CrescentBogViewD5.JPG

CrescentBogViewD6.JPG

CrescentBogViewD7.JPG

It was some time around 4:30 pm, so the sun was getting lower, that is when I was able to see it coming out from behind the clouds. I hoped that it would still be warm enough to comfortably accomplish my videoed sink and subsequent cleanup after it was over.

I changed into my junk shorts, poked a large stick into the sod mat on the south side of the quagmire, mounted my camera on the Gorillapod, and wrapped the Gorillapod's three knobby tentacles around the upper part of the stick. I turned the camera on and centered the scene nicely, centering it on a noticeable irregularity in the center, which was my target mark. With me wearing just my junk shorts, I pressed the record button, and was ready to begin some on-camera fun! :D

CrescentBogViewD8.JPG

I headed over to the west side, or the northwest side, since it was closer to the mark, and then jumped in, landing facing south, roughly on the mark, up to my chest in the gooey morass, a couple of noticeable bubbles bursting immediately to my right, one big and one small, which I hoped would be picked up by the camera. I finally started using the term "quicksand" in this sink this time, and began to struggle, working myself up higher to escape, only to be sucked back down again! I kept on struggling to work myself back up, only to sink back down even deeper yet! :shock: I really struggled, the gooey mire sticking thickly to my arms, my feeble attempts to escape only tiring me out, and making me sink even deeper. I struggled more vigorously, only to get sucked down that much faster, down to my chin! :shock: I continued to sink deeper and deeper, the mire rising up around my head, over my mouth and nose, forcing me to tilt my head back to breathe! I had to close my eyes when the greedy, voracious ooze closed over them! It felt soooo wonderful being engulfed by the mire! :D I was really having a lot of fun with this video, especially since it was now getting to the thickness that I sooo loved! :D I struggled to stay at the surface, but the mire kept rising, forcing me to repeatedly dig it away from my mouth so that I could breath briefly before it closed back over again! I tried pulling myself up higher briefly before getting sucked back down again. No longer able to remain above the surface, I kept on digging the suffocating muck from my mouth to breathe, with it closing back up faster and faster, until I was too exhausted to keep struggling to stay at the surface! I finally slipped under the gooey surface, with it first filling in the gap over my closed mouth, which had been the only thing exposed from my continual digging, and then my muddy hands disappearing beneath the surface! I then let out my last breath, which phlup, phlup, phlupped to the surface. I then stayed still under the surface as long as I could, counting to perhaps 10 (not seconds, but a rapid count), before working myself back to the surface quickly to breathe again!

I then wiped the mud from my face, and continued to rise, wiping the mud from my body as I went. I then made a comment along the lines of "The Boggy Man emerges (or was it rises) from his native habitat!". 8-) I continued to work myself up and make my way to the north side, where I dragged myself out, wiping the mud off as I went, sitting down on the edge, and pulling out my legs and feet and wiping the mud off them. I was now free of the thick, sticky slimy ooze!

I quickly headed to the water, quickly cleaned my hands and part of my arms, and returned to the camera to stop the recording, only to discover that it had already stopped! I hoped that it got all the good stuff, but I was going to have to wait until later before checking it out. I took the stick with the camera mounted on top and laid it down by my things, with my camera resting on my clothes. I realized that I had actually felt more comfortable under the mud than in the air, which was evaporating the moisture off my skin, cooling me down.

I headed to the pond and into the water, where there were fewest weeds, and laid forward, cleaning my head nicely before standing up, swishing away some of the soft bottom around me, and cleaning more of my upper body. I was happy that the water was nice and comfortable. :) The place I was cleaning up in had around foot or perhaps more, give or take, of water over soft, bottomless ooze like the stuff I had sunk in, just unworked. As long as I kept my legs still, I didn't sink. Someone in hip waders in that spot could be in serious trouble! :shock: Once I cleaned my upper body, I crawled to shore, pulled myself onto the mat of floating weeds, and then rose up, cleaning my chest a little better before heading to the smaller pool on the south end.

On the way to the south side of the smaller pool, I again stopped on the west side, to have another stimulating horizontal struggle in the thick, sticky clay/peaty mud mixture, sinking my bent knees into it until my legs were sucked in to my crotch. I had noticed that it was full of tiny white snail shells the size of coarse sand grains, something that I had seen in mud in other places. I pushed my hands into the thick pasty mud on front of me and struggled until much of my arms were swallowed, and imagined that I was about to be sucked under!

After that stimulating struggle, I felt suddenly quite chilled, and quickly headed to the south side of the pool, where I cleaned myself off, as well as my junk shorts. I returned to my things, and watched my video as I dried off. As it turned out, my sink took up most of the video, and my extraction only got as far as my armpits before it ended. I got dressed and took more pictures of the area:

CrescentBogViewD9.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Boggy Man on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:54 am

CrescentBogViewD10.JPG

CrescentBogViewD11.JPG

CrescentBogViewD12.JPG

CrescentBogViewD13.JPG

CrescentBogViewD14.JPG

After swapping SDHC cards in my camera and putting things away to prepare to return to my bike, I took one last look at my sinking spot, wishing I had more time to jump back in, but had to leave, since it was just after 6 pm. :( I got home before dark, and discovered that there was some muddy scum left on my back :shock: , which I had to secretly wipe off with a facecloth. Good thing I was wearing a shirt!

I was happy that I went, because the thunderstorms failed to materialize! Perhaps the smoky haze cut down the sunshine enough to suppress the convective activity! Vernon hit 31.7˚C, or 89.06˚F, while the Elkhart Lodge, a high elevation place between the Okanagan and the west coast, hit 23˚C, or 73.4˚F, which did reflect the conditions I experienced in the mountains.

I was happy with my sinking video, which was starting to show what the mud is like when it starts to thicken. I was so frustrated last year when my pit was nice and thick with no camera to take videos or pictures of, but now this year I can finally capture its treacherousness! :twisted: Since my sinks are starting to lengthen as the mud gets thicker, I might have to start shooting in AVCHD mode instead, since the next video I create just might exceed the 2 gig limit of motion-JPEG videos on my camera. My next outing will be on my own, which may bring about severe leg cramps in the mud, so I am uncertain whether I would be able to properly function enough to do a video then. I might have to wait until my parents get back from the trip before I can shoot the next video, and hope the hot, dry weather continues. But, in the meantime, I hope that a recent overnight rain didn't set back things in my bog. I will find out soon enough.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

bart1997

Postby bart1997 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Last edited by bart1997 on Sat May 09, 2015 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:41 pm

It's a great example of how Hollywood ideal locations do exist in the real world if you work hard enough to find them and get to them. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:56 am

And now I posted my best sinking footage yet this year in this thread! Enjoy! 8-)

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Return to “General Discussion”