BM Report #8: Thickest Sinks Yet, Before Season Winds Down!

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Boggy Man

BM Report #8: Thickest Sinks Yet, Before Season Winds Down!

Postby Boggy Man » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:42 am

The Boggy Man Report #8: The Thickest Sinks Yet, Before Season Winds Down!

Since my 7'th adventure on Wednesday, August 18'th, things turned cooler and cloudier briefly, but the showers weren't that extensive. The weather then improved the following week, with temperatures getting up past 30˚C, or 80˚F, for the middle of the week! :D But, after Wednesday, August 25'th, another cold front was going to bring wind and cooler temperatures, with things remaining cool for the next while. So, I targeted Wednesday, August 25'th for the day of my 8'th adventure of the year, since the weather was going to peak that day, with sunshine and a high expected of around 32˚C, or 89.6˚F for Vernon. There was originally plans of going camping this particular week, but my parents had so much work to catch up on after their trip, that the camping trip was cancelled, or delayed if I still wanted to go. I am not that disappointed about that, since I just couldn't wait to see how thick my Crescent Road pond sinking spot was! :D

My dad dropped me off in the mountains some time between 8:30 and 9 am, much earlier than when I went up on my own! :D Even though it was nice and warm already, I needed time for the sun to warm the upper part of the mud and the cleanup water. So, I planned on not beginning my sinking until around 12 noon.

Because I had a bit of extra time, I had planned on checking out a couple of areas I saw on Google Earth the previous night. One of them was a pond I had searched for on my 4'th adventure, back on Thursday, July 29'th. I now knew that it wasn't to the east of the main (Crescent?) road, but to the west of it. There was also another meadow to the northwest of that, that looked like it had lots of water in it as well, and with the hot dry summer, it looked like there could be some decent mud exposed. :) I also eyed a couple of other places, but didn't think I would have enough time to go everywhere. :?

Since a sideroad where I got dropped off at headed straight to the part of Crescent Road between the two areas I was interested in exploring, I headed westward up that road instead of the usual route I took, which would have added extra distance to my biking. On the way up that sideroad, some patches of thick clay mushed up by atv's from a recent jamboree looked quite alluring, but it was in the middle of the road. I would have loved to have gathered it up into one large blob to play in, since my local clay options have been so limited! :roll:

I reached Crescent Road, and then headed to the other northwest meadow that looked like it had lots of water first, since it was the furthest away. I watched for a stream with willows or alders that would stand out from the rest of the area which would mark the area, and when I found it, I hid my bike, and headed to the meadow.

It had no water in it, but definitely looked like it used to! On the northeast portion, there were some small expanses of bare mud, which looked interesting. I probed it with a stick, and discovered it to be only around 2 feet deep, give or take. I walked around the meadow, finding no more mud, and then returned to the northeast part, where I took a few pictures:

AnotherMeadow1.JPG

AnotherMeadow2.JPG

AnotherMeadow3.JPG

While walking around on that side, I noticed that the mud quaked a bit more in that area, so I searched for where I dropped the stick I had used earlier, but remembered I had left it near the marshy remains of the wooded stream to the south of the meadow. So, I found another stick, and tested the ground on the north side, finding it to be waist deep! :) But, as appealing as it was, there wasn't water there, and I had thick, bottomless stuff waiting me at my Crescent Road pond. 8-) I took one last picture there:

AnotherMeadow4.JPG

I then returned to my bike, and wondered if this was the correct meadow, or if this was a different one, and the one I was looking for was further to the west. :? So, I headed further down that road for a ways, until it joined with another road, and then crossed another marshy creek. I briefly checked the marshy area to the south of the road, finding the willowy wet area, with low patches free of water but full of skunk cabbage, leading to no meadow. It looked like the one I explored was the correct one after all! :)

So, I headed to my next destination, the pond I had encountered years ago, where it was in a curved meadow or chain of meadows, just after the forest had been clearcut and a young forest of replanted small trees were starting to grow back. I hoped that it would be a bit more hidden from the road by now, or the road be in poor condition, and that the water would be low enough to expose interesting mud where the meadow joined it. :roll:

I found the turnoff, which was uphill. On the way there, I parked my bike near another meadow to the east of it to briefly check it out, finding nothing. :( I walked to a sideroad branching from the road I was on, and followed it back to my bike and continued on, further west.

Just a little ways further west down the road, it was partially overgrown with alders, and then there was the pond to the left, the one I was searching for back on July 29'th, which I hadn't seen in many years! :D But, when I took a look at it, I was disappointed to see that it was so badly flooded, that where there used to be meadow, was all water! :( Snacking on a Pizza Pop, I followed the eastern (southeastern) shore, and headed up the hillside overlooking the pond, to come across the same sideroad I was on earlier. I also noticed that to the southwest of the pond, there was a meadow there, but with lots of high water, and a smaller pond on the north side. :( I followed the road a little further to the south before heading back, snacking on another Pizza Pop, returning to my bike and following the road a little further. It turned from northwest to southwest, and I noticed how another adjacent marshy area was also flooded, forming another pond. So, this area was a bust. :( I guessed that perhaps the road itself formed a dike to raise the water level there. :?

It was already after 12 noon, the time I had planned on doing my sinking, and I was just heading back! But, I still got back to my pond between 12:30 and 1 pm, got my stuff together, retrieved my breathing hose from its hiding spot on an abandoned beaver lodge hidden in the alders on the east side of the northern part of the pond, and reached my sinking spot on the western shore, where I set my things down in the shade of an alder bush.

I had a look at my sinking spot, and felt the surface. It felt nice and firm on top. Here is a picture I took of it:

CrescentBogViewG1.JPG

One of the first things I had to do was search for a longer stick to mount my camera on, because with the ever-thickening mud, I could sink more and more beneath the surface before it closes over me! :D With my original stick, the camera was so low that you couldn't get as good a view of the gap over my head. So, a larger stick could allow me to mount my camera higher, and get a better view. After a little bit of searching, I found a nice, large one. :)

The next thing I had to do was change into my junk shorts, and search for a good spot to do another introductory sinking scene, just like last time, so that I could try and ease myself into the thick bottomless mud for the main sink, and have something to fill in the initial "stepping in" part. Just shooting me stepping in would result in my downward momentum plunging me down deeper than if I had carefully stood up in the middle.

I looked at various bare spots, since I wasn't certain about using the same spot as last time. But, most were spongy moss underneath a film of mud, which made watery squishing noises when I walked over it, and my footprints in the areas I tested filled with water. :( So, I started to set things up again in the same spot as before, when I put my foot down and decided that I *HAD* to open with a shot in a different location! So, I went with a muddy area north of the pond, where there were some muddy spots, where the mud was a couple feet deep.

I set the camera up, with it aiming higher up, so that you wouldn't see where I was stepping at the fateful moment, and made several takes, deleting the first ones, but keeping one at 1:42 pm, but each time they still didn't feel right. :? I hoped to step beside the "hole", but instead sunk in, which made my descent a bit faster than I hoped. I then made one long shoot starting at 1:42 pm, where I went through the entrance scene a few times, until I realized I was doing them with muddy legs from the earlier tries! :shock: So, I stopped the recording, cleaned my legs off, shifted my choice of spots, and did it again at 2:03 pm, and felt that the results were satisfactory! :) During my trial-and-error shoots, I also had to pause at times, waiting for the odd gust of wind to die down.

So, with my entrance scene done, I returned to my main sinking spot, and set up my camera-on-a-stick on the southwest side of my bog, because sticking it in the middle of the south side was no longer viable, due to the longer shadows due to the lower sun. :x I hate the approach of autumn! :x If I had positioned my camera-on-a-stick far enough away to keep the shadow off the mud, then I wouldn't get the better angle for capturing my face disappearing into the gap in the mud. I just hoped that the shadow of the stick/camera, which was to the west of the bog, wouldn't move over the bog during the course of the shoot. :? I took a lot of time trying to get the angle right, and wondered if I should have zoomed in more on the center, but decided that I wanted to capture the entire bog for the scene.

So, with everything in place and me all ready, I clicked the record button at 2:12 pm, crouched down on the west shore, carefully stretched my left leg, and then my right leg over to the center of the bog, and started to stand up, initially still crouched down, quickly sinking to my thighs, putting my hands down on the firm muddy surface in front of me briefly before standing completely straight up. Then the fun began :twisted: , as I slowly sunk towards my waist in the thick doughy mire! :D I heard an airplane pass by behind me (just to the north), very near, and at first thought about exiting the mire before it got too close, but decided to just stay sinking, since I didn't want to ruin this shoot. :? I just worked it into the situation, "wondering" if they saw me, and would send a rescue party.

The mire felt soooo wonderful, like sinking into a pit of bread dough! :D The way it cradled me as it slowly sucked me down, was the best yet this season! :D But, the annoying wind kept on coming back up again, and early on, I paused briefly until it passed, since I was worried that it might drown out the sounds of my struggling. :? I really played the role of someone stuck and v e r y s l o w l y sinking deeper and deeper into the sucking quagmire, making this the longest drawn-out sink yet this year! :D It was darker and stiffer on top, but softer and stickier just below, and the surface quaked nicely as it slowly devoured me on camera! :twisted:

Eventually, I got my arms stuck, and as the doughy mire slowly closed over my shoulders, I could hear it making sucking and farting sounds as I struggled, hoping that the camera picked it up. The darker stiffer surface slowly rose to my chin, and then up to my mouth, forcing me to tilt my head back more, having to turn my head slightly because of the sun in my eyes. But, as the mire slowly rose up around my head, I knew it would soon shadow my eyes from the sun. As the mire rose further above my head, I kept my head positioned such that I could continue to see the camera through the gap in the mud, until the gap closed more, forcing me to tilt my head further back, noticing that the stiffer mud on the surface was such that I was able to partially open my eyes as the mud was over top of them, without the mud really touching them! :D I made one more "attempt" to rise above the surface, before sinking back down again! :twisted: The gap had closed enough that I could just manage to suck air through the crack before holding my breath, sinking myself down deeper, using my submerged hands to make certain it was closed over my head, and letting out my breath, which then hissed to the surface! :twisted: I tried to pause, before quickly working my way back to the surface to breathe. If it weren't for the video recording, I would have remained at the point where I was just able to breathe through the crack in the mud above my head, since I felt sooo comfortable, with the thick layer on top nicely warmed up from the sun. 8-)

So now, it was time for my escape! I began to wipe mud from my face and head, cleaning my hands and fingers repeatedly before clearing more mud from around my eyes. I worked myself up to around stomach/waist deep, before I could no longer raise myself any higher. The static friction of the mud holding me couldn't support any more above-mud weight. I then "struggled" to get out, sinking back down a little a few times, really enjoying playing with my "escape"! :twisted: But, finally, I made my way to the solid ground on the north side, and worked myself out, pushing the mud off my body into the bog, although it was getting easier, due to it being so thick now that it was peeling away from my skin as I extracted myself. I quickly headed to the water to clean my hands, and then turned off the recording on my camera, pulling the stick out of the ground, and setting the camera, still mounted on the stick, on my t-shirt.

Now, it was time for me to have some off-camera horizontal struggling on the thicker undisturbed parts of the surface, but then decided to first clean off my eyes for preparation for using my swim goggles for an extended underbog sink later on, and to clean off my junk shorts so that they would have the rest of the day to dry out, hanging them on an alder branch in the sun after wringing them out.

I then started to lay down on the stiffer, undisturbed muck on the south edge of my sinking spot, and then laid down on the eastern edge, first facing north, and then facing south, sinking my bent knees into the thick quagmire, and struggling, my bent legs disappearing into the hungry earth! The warm surface cradled the front of me, and sucked down my arms, feeling sooo comfortable, although my wet hair did feel a little bit uncomfortable, and muddy hair kept on falling over one of my eyes. It was like laying on a soft solar-heated waterbed that wanted to suck me in! :D I struggled on my stomach, with the mire rising to my chin before my stimulating struggle was complete! :D

I was feeling a bit on the cool side from the evaporating moisture, so I headed into the water for cleanup, but this time further out into the pond, where it was deeper, so I could clean my head more completely, finding the layer of warm water on top not as thick as it was last time, with a lot of cooler water further down. But, I managed to get my head cleaned better than last time, and after moving around to a few locations, got the rest of my body cleaned as well, having to work hard with rubbing to remove the brown scum that always stuck to my skin from the thick mud.

Once I was clean, I waited to dry off, checking out my latest video in the shade, since it was harder to view in the sun, which would have warmed and dried me faster. It looked quite nice, but the audio sounded like it was cutting out a lot with a lot of clicking. :? I had to wait until later to view it on the computer to see and hear it better. The total main movie (sinking and escaping) was larger than 15 minutes long (19 minutes, 23 seconds), meaning that I would have to divide it later on before uploading to YouTube. :?
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM Report #8: Thickest Sinks Yet, Before Season Winds Do

Postby Boggy Man » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:46 am

I got dressed, and returned my breathing tube and margarine container with my Gorillapod to my bike, since I didn't need them. To warm up, I went for a walk to the third pond to the north with the sphagnum bog, noticing how the road all the way there was full of shadows from the trees, instead of hot sun that I wanted to be soaking in during the walk. I walked around part of the ring of bog there, noticing some exposed mud in places, but didn't have my camera on me to take any pictures of it. I also knew that it generally wasn't too deep, perhaps the deepest one being close to shoulder deep but likely floating, but solid soft mud being shallower. :? Finally feeling warmer, I then returned to my pond and bog, and took a picture of the patch of quagmire that was going to swallow me whole again, noticing that the shadows were starting to get annoying large:

CrescentBogViewG2.JPG

I wanted to be reminded when 5 pm came along, so that I could clean myself up and be on my way home around 5:30 pm. So, I took the large stick I had used for the camera, stuck it in the ground south of my bog, and hung my watch on it, with the alarm set for 5 pm. That way, my watch's alarm would be within earshot, and the watch would be high and dry. I knew that by the time the alarm went off, I would be lingering with my head above the surface, and would know when to quit. 8-)

Undressed, with swim goggles on my forehead and breathing hose in hand, I jumped in from the south side, facing north, into the middle of the patch of quivering quagmire! I plunged in to between my stomach and chest, with the air trapped in the mud from the plunge escaping as bog farts between my skin and the thick mire contacting me! :D I wished that I could have jumped in and had that happen on camera, since the sounds of the bog farts were more intense than previous times! :)

With the hose laying on the surface in front of me but to my right, I kept my hands in the air, to keep them from being muddy until I was ready to put my swim goggles down over my eyes. The sucking muck closed over my shoulders, and also closed over my elbows and upper arms. It rose to my chin, and as I started to tilt my head back, I put my swim goggles over my eyes, and was able to put my hands down into the mire to help me pull myself down deeper. I inserted the end of the breathing hose into my mouth, and continued to sink down deeper, watching the sky above me slowly shrink by blackness closing in from the sides. I pulled part of the hose in front of me down a little into the mud so that would not be entering from directly above, but from in front of me. I inhaled through the hose and exhaled through my nose, and then the doughy morass finally pinched shut over my face!

I was now enclosed in darkness, with my exhaled air hissing to the surface. At first, there were brief glimpses of light when I exhaled, but once I sunk even deeper beneath the surface, it was all dark, with my exhaled air hissing and then phlupping to the surface. It felt a bit on the cool side down there, but the attraction of the feel of it surrounding my body was stronger than the slight discomfort that the coolness had! :) I lingered there for some time, occasionally reaching my hands up to the surface before retracting them. Even at that depth, I did notice one time when I exhaled, that I did see a brief glimpse of light, when my exhaled air created a more open conduit to the surface. It was quite enjoyable, being totally engulfed in doughy softness contacting me all over, holding me, the only thing keeping me from suffocating in the smothering muck being my breathing hose, my only link to the outside world, and air! After a while, I worked myself up a little bit higher, hoping for my head to reach warmer mud on the surface, but the warmth was only slightly greater. I lingered there for a while longer, with it easier to breathe due to being closer to the surface, my exhaled air hissing to the surface.

Finally, I decided to call it quits, since the mud around my head wasn't as warm as I had hoped, and I wanted to get back into the warmer sun. So, I decided to work myself up all the way to the surface, where the warm sun would make me feel more comfortable, and I would linger chin to neck to shoulder deep, savouring the experience, until 5 pm came. 8-)

I first worked myself high enough for me to be just at the surface, where I could toss the breathing hose aside, and still have mud covering most of my head. I wiped the mud from my swim goggles to see again, and then lingered at the point where the mud covered my entire face, except for my mouth and nose, so I could breathe. I pulled myself completely under, holding my breath, 3 times, exhaling under the mud to hear it hissing to the surface before resurfacing again, just loving the experience. :mrgreen:

Finally, I worked myself higher, so that my head could catch the warm sun, and I could enjoy the mud some more, but with my head above the mire, and with the swim goggles off. When I wiped the mud away from my head and removed the swim goggles, tossing them into a clump of grass to the north of the sinking spot, I was disappointed to see that there was no sun at all! :x Another large shadow from one of the coniferous trees to the west was directly over the bog, keeping me out of the warm sun, with the annoying wind coming up and adding to my feeling on the cool side! :x I lingered there a little bit, but started to wonder if 5 pm had passed while I was under the mud. :? I was concerned that if I left, I wouldn't get back in as deep, but I had to check. :? So, I worked myself out of the sticky bog and checked the time, discovering I still had a little bit of time left, but not too much. I had thought about just calling it quits and starting cleanup then, but wanted to enjoy the mud just a little bit more! :)

I had planned on jumping back into the center, since that was where the mud had absorbed my body heat, making it more comfortable. But, that annoying shadow was something that I didn't really like. However, on the west side, the shadow was moving away, letting the sun edge in there! :D So, I sunk myself into the west side, where the mud was stiffer on top from not being worked, and started to enjoy it a bit, repositioning myself a little further to the south, where it seemed thicker. I just lingered there, between stomach and chest deep, just enjoying the experience, imagining that I was slowly being "fed" to the hungry bog, with its full expanse pulsating and heaving in front of me from my struggles! :twisted: Then, I heard my watch alarm go off, meaning that it was 5 pm, but just wanted to remain in the mud and struggle a little bit longer. Just shortly after the alarm went off a second time, I finally decided to call it quits, and worked myself out of the thick doughy quagmire.

I headed into the pond and proceeded to clean myself off amongst some yellow waterlilies where there were tubers to support me, even though I was in a shaded spot. I eventually moved northward, over to some more yellow waterlilies, where I could have something again solid to kneel on, and it was in the sun. :) I continued cleaning up, but the shadows moved over there as well! :x I finished the cleanup in the floating mats of small rushes, and cleaned my breathing hose and swim goggles as well.

After my cleanup, I didn't have much time to air-dry, because it was already after 5:30 pm, the time I was supposed to be biking home! :shock: I quickly got dressed, after inspecting my crotch area to make certain there were no leeches there. I had encountered some leeches during the day, but it wasn't as bad as last time. I didn't have time to take any final pix of the bog, and just headed back to my bike with my things, stopping to hide my breathing hose on the abandoned beaver lodge hidden in alders on the eastern shore on the northern part of the pond.

By the time I was on my bike, it was around 6 pm, half an hour later than I had expected, although I left at around 6 pm the previous week, and still got home before dark. But, this time, it was getting dark by the time I got home some time after 8:30 pm! :shock: Perhaps next time I should try making 4:30 my quitting time. :?

Overall, it was a nice day, and I got to explore a new area, finding some mud of playable depth, but with no water nearby, although there were some pools of water by the road, but they were by the road, and frequented (and likely fouled :x ) by cattle. I also got to finally check out a pond I hadn't seen in years, and found that the water level was substantially higher than before. I did get a nice video in (that I had to split into two, with the main one to be merged with a short entrance clip), although the wind was a bit of an annoyance. I enjoyed the underbog sink with the breathing hose, but found that the underbog experience was substantially better during my video, since my head was sucked under a thick warm surface, while my later underbog sink occurred in the same spot, where I had dragged up colder mud from below to the surface during my earlier exit. If I had sunk closer to the edge where it wasn't disturbed, the mud engulfing my head would have been warmer. :? In the past, the cold mud pulled up by my extraction would quickly warm up before I had the next sink, but at this time of year, the sun wasn't as strong as before, and so things were slower to warm up in the day, and then cooling off earlier in the day as the shadows were moving over things earlier and earlier in the day. :( I dread the approach of autumn! :x

I transferred the movie to my computer and viewed it, finding that while the scene was the best yet this year, a fair amount of the audio was drowned out by the flapping sound made by the wind blasting past the microphone! :x The part where the mud was making interesting sucking and farting sounds as it closed over my shoulders as I struggled was also drowned out by the wind! :x I was reluctant to try using the "wind cut" function on the camera, because I was worried that it might affect the subtle sounds of the bog making farting and sucking noises. :? Perhaps I should have stuck something behind the camera to shield it from the south wind, such as a margarine lid that I had covering the container I used for storing the Gorillapod, or draping my t-shirt over the stick, although the wind might have blown it over the front of the camera. :? But, at least not all of the audio was drowned out by the flapping sound the wind made, and you can still hear things through some of the lighter wind noise. I had hoped that the wind wouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately, it was. :( I wound up having to divide the main video into two on the camera, because it was 19 minutes and 23 seconds, too long to upload to YouTube, which has a 15 minute video length limit. I also wished that I had zoomed in a little bit more, because it would have improved the view.

I was glad I went that day, since Vernon hit 34.6˚C, or 94.3˚F, while the Elkhart Lodge, my gauge for high elevation weather, hit 27˚C, or 80.6˚F, which showed how warm it was up in the mountains, which I noticed. :) The next day, things started warm, but cooled rapidly after the wind really started to gust, doing some damage, with the Elkhart Lodge in the high elevations being only 12˚C, or 53.6˚F. The day after that, at home, we were having temperatures like that in the valley in the middle of the afternoon, after some more winds picked up from the north with rain! Saturday morning, Vernon had an official overnight low of 3.6˚C, or 38.5˚F! I wouldn't be surprised if some areas, especially in the mountains, had f-f-frost! :shock: The following week, there is no warm stretches of sunshine, just breaks to sun in between cloudy showery cooler weather with things not warm enough to do sinking in the mountains. :( Also, starting in early September, hunting season begins, meaning there will be people with live firearms lurking in the bushes, ready to shoot at anything grey or brown that moves! :shock: So, things are a bit uncertain now, as my season is starting to wind down for the year, just when the mud is getting extra fun! :? But, I usually do get to have another adventure or two before the end of September, so I will just have to wait and see. :roll:

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM Report #8: Thickest Sinks Yet, Before Season Winds Do

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:02 am

My latest videos have been posted here. Enjoy! 8-)

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Return to “General Discussion”