Anyone want to go sinking in Colorado?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
blazeskier

Anyone want to go sinking in Colorado?

Postby blazeskier » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Hey, is there anyone that wants to go sinking, once it warms up, in the Denver or Colorado Springs area? Let me know. If you don't but have been to some of the spots recorded on the Google map, let me know if they are worth while - thanks!

MuddyEddie

Re: Anyone want to go sinking in Colorado?

Postby MuddyEddie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:40 am

blazeskier wrote:If you don't but have been to some of the spots recorded on the Google map, let me know if they are worth while - thanks!

I'm the one that posted those spots! Probably the best one is the one south of Chatfield (it's labeled "Chatfield Ponds"). It's also a nice hike, as you get to see some beautiful scenery and lots of wildlife! Just watch out for the poison ivy!

Unfortunately I'm no longer living in Colorado, so I wouldn't be able to be a guide for you.

Eddie

newtothis2

Postby newtothis2 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Just found your post, I may be up for some sinking as it warms up. Send me a PM through here and I'll fill you in.

arisumudvixen

Postby arisumudvixen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:30 pm

not in colorado, but in utah, however i would love to sink.

blazeskier

Postby blazeskier » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:23 am

arisumudvixen wrote:not in colorado, but in utah, however i would love to sink.

Is that where you live? Do you know of any good spots?

arisumudvixen

Postby arisumudvixen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 pm

blazeskier wrote:
arisumudvixen wrote:not in colorado, but in utah, however i would love to sink.

Is that where you live? Do you know of any good spots?

no, i don't i don't have the chance to get out much

Quicksand_Lover

Postby Quicksand_Lover » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:14 am

I live in Denver now, I've never been able to actually find any quicksand before, but I'd love to try it out with someone.

Diremire1234

Postby Diremire1234 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:27 am

What is that town well-west of Denver....the Colorado runs right through it. I have and will soon upload 2 spots here with one really nice, equally public ( gotta be tricky with this one )and another even nice...inland a ways further, but still within view of the Interstate. It is called...Grand Junction! I would imagine that certain parts of the year are better than others only because in late summer. it appears thousands lie across the two shores. Drive by, slower than the rest and you will see what I'm talking about. When you pass a site that has this kinda appeal 1st look and with breakneck scruitiny, something good lies in wait. Should anyone else read this and live near there or in close proximty, get access and go for it!!! I fully expect the report to be glorious!
Last edited by Diremire1234 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
From a strictly psychological perspective, is it not a return to the womb?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Lucky you! Still trying to find people to sink in my area of the country.

Diremire1234

Postby Diremire1234 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:06 am

It is my opinion that in the States, UTAH remains the reigning king of availability and easy access. Almost any area that is in close proximty to the Colorado river is likely to come up with something...some, considerably more than others. Nothing on the Green River have I ever seen. South, go south toward Hite, Utah and you will find the very best 'siltsand' imaginable. It is radically different from that which you will find let's say anywhere in the lower 48, that is. Although I have yet to do it, I have researched this exhaustively and found you will have an absolutely glorious time should you go to Lake Powell ( Arizona entrance ) and rent a jet-ski and cruise the lake taking nearly every little inland creek/waterway that swings left or right. Some are much longer and perhaps a look at Google Maps of the area would reveal the much shorter ones. THAT is where you look. In some spots, it will be almost a reddish-pink hue ( the silt ) surrounded by short but fairly thick grasslands adjacent to small and some high cliffs. Bottom line is that at the Dirty Devil and Colorado River junction ( at Hite ), this is where you'll want to be sure and hit. So much is being drained out of the Colorado, I can't imagine any rain having been sufficient of late to alter this in the slightest. Bring plenty of water with you as it can get really hot in this area, but the lake itself is almost always much colder with plenty of places to wash off. Careful though, as there is the occasional tourist fly-over using puddle-jumpers and at low-altitude. Actually 'pushed' myself under one time to avoid being see by either the pilot or passengers. Funny!!
From a strictly psychological perspective, is it not a return to the womb?

Return to “General Discussion”