BM Adventure #8 With BG Pix: Successful Sinking Day!

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Boggy Man

BM Adventure #8 With BG Pix: Successful Sinking Day!

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:33 am

After my last bikeride, where I finally had my first underbog sink of the season, I was extremely frustrated with one injury being replaced with another! :x My right foot improved enough for me to hike again, but my right knee turned bad, preventing me from future biking for some unknown time! :x I tried doing some biking a couple of times for around half an hour, but each time it resulted in increased sensitivity, making me think that if I hadn't done those two, I would have been further ahead of my healing. :? And to really rub things in, after a few cooler days, we wound up getting the warmest sunniest airmass this year, with a number of places in western Canada hitting record highs, and I couldn't take full advantage of it, since I was "grounded" by my right knee! :x But, hunting season for deer and grouse was to begin on September 10'th, and I wanted to try going on a bikeride before then. I decided to wait for the longest possible time for healing, and go on Friday, September 9'th. The forecast for that day was calling for sunshine with temperatures around 31 to 32˚C (87.8 to 89.6˚F). The normal temperatures for that day are 21˚C, or 69.8˚F!

My plan for the day was, if I was able to make it up to my sinking area without being stopped by knee pain, to first have an off-camera sink, where I would sink beneath the surface with swim goggles on to protect my eyes, and the breathing pipe (which I had to first locate at home) to breathe through during the extended sink. Once I finished that sink, I would mush up the surface until it was all homogeneous sticky goo like the stuff below the surface, and then have an on-camera sink with the surface being all quivering and sticky and gooey, to be swallowed whole. If I had the videoed sink first, then colder mud would have been dragged up to the surface during my escape, which would have made an extended underbog sink there a bit more uncomfortable than it would be if my head was exposed to undisturbed solar-heated mud at the surface.

This time, because I wanted to take my time biking, I got up at 5 am instead of 6 am. I tried wrapping an elastic bandage around my right knee to see if it made it feel comfortable, but it constantly rubbed the joint with each move I made, making it sore. So, I took it off. I decided to try taking anti-inflammatories to see if that would keep the pain at bay. I still had my prescription of diclofenac (with misoprostol for the stomach) left over from last year, when I was recovering from surgery on a snapped tendon in my baby finger on my right hand. So, that was what I took, starting with one with breakfast, and then wrapping two others in plastic wrap to take with me on my bikeride. After some searching, I finally found my breathing pipe that I had put away last year, which I wanted to use while lingering underneath the bog, if I was able to make it. :?

I left some time between 7:30 and 7:45 am, pedaling very cautiously so as to preserve my knee for the climb, if I could even make it there. I saw a dead snake upside down on our street, and turned it over to see what it was, and it turned out to be a garter snake. While biking up the highway later on, I came across a dead rubber boa, which was a little bit larger (closer to garter snake size) than previous tiny ones I had seen before. It is a shame that most times I see rare creatures like that are when they have been killed on the road. :(

I was amazed that I was not only able to make it to the beginning of the climb, but I was able to bike up the mountain road without feeling any pain at all! :D Either my knee had recovered enough to allow for it, the diclofenac's suppression of inflammation made all the difference, I wore boots which positioned my foot differently such that less stress was put on my fibula, or any combination of these! :D But, around 15 minutes before I reached the top of the climb, I did start to feel some slight irritation. However, it didn't get any worse, and perhaps my anti-inflammatory was wearing off after 6 hours, so I took another one after I had a couple of Pizza Pops for lunch. I had hoped that I would get past the point where my soreness started last time without any sensitivity, but it wasn't the case. I took it easy, and was happy that it was only intermittent, and not getting worse. :) I had usually passed my usual "dropoff" point at around 12:30 to 12:45 pm, and thanks to me leaving 30 minutes earlier, I was still able to reach that point some time around 12:45 pm, even though I had been biking much more slowly than usual. :) I was glad I got up earlier! :)

When I reached Crescent Road, I walked my bike up the main climb there, since I didn't want to put my knee through any more great stress. The low seasonal marshy areas that used to have water below the road were now black mud and grass with cattle tracks in it, meaning that things have been drying out quite a bit. Even the spring-fed puddles on the sideroad that led past my pond were either drying up or had much less water in it, which was promising. :)

I walked my bike to the clearing to the north of the pond and set it down in the shade of a tree. It was so hot that I couldn't wait to start my sinking! :D I then began to take out my things, including my breathing tube, swim goggles, junk shorts, doubled-up margarine containers containing my gorillapod, an extra bag for putting on my head to keep my hair clean for my first planned sink, and a bottle of Kool-Aid. While there, I was briefly entertained by a couple of squirrels that were making a lot of noise, with one chasing the other around. I stood still and watched as they ran from one bush/tree to another and back again, chattering loudly, running up a tree and doing circles around the trunk, and then going back down to the ground. Finally, the one that was being chased ran away, straight towards me, between my legs, through the edge of my bike, and into some bushes there, to the south of me, before afterwards taking off to the woods to the east. I guessed that it must have encroached on the other's territory. :? I wished I had gotten my camera out to shoot a video of that when I first saw the commotion between the two squirrels, squeaking and chattering, but I thought at the time that it wasn't going to last long enough for me to get the camera ready. Before moving on, I switched the memory cards in my camera.

I headed southward to the pond, not bothering to get the breathing hose, since if I wanted to have an extended underbog sink, I wanted to just use the tube so I could both inhale and exhale through the tube, making it easier to breathe. I was happy to see that there was a fair bit of mud exposed amongst the grass on the north side, and thought about getting the camera out and taking pictures of it. But, since I was carrying my things, I decided to first head to my main sinking spot and drop off everything in the usual spot before taking the pictures. On the way there, I was happy to see how much the water had dropped, a number of places I would take pictures of. :) When I reached my sinking spot, it definitely looked thicker, with the surface looking gray with long cracks. I put my things in the shade of alders, got out my camera, and returned to the north end, where I started to take pictures of various patches of exposed mud, working my way southward along the western edge back to my sinking spot:

I posted the set of pix of the spots before my sinking area in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5506&p=40934#p40934

And here are the ones of my sinking spot:

CrescentD11.JPG

Looking eastward at my favorite sinking spot, nice and thick and doughy underneath, with a stiffer surface that will give way under my feet. Taken at 2:05 pm.
CrescentD12.JPG

Looking northeastward at the patch of deep, sucking quagmire that would soon swallow me whole! Taken at 2:05 pm.
CrescentD13.JPG

Standing on the west side, looking down at the "innocent" looking patch of ground that is a source of so much fun once one steps onto its surface! Taken at 2:06 pm.

I put my camera back with my things and then checked out my bog. I had felt the surface of the mud with my hands, and it felt reasonably stiff, perhaps stiff enough to support my weight if I was to step on it carefully enough! :? Due to the stiffness of the surface, I had doubts about whether I would be easily able to mush up the surface to turn it into the sticky mess that I had planned on for the video. :? So, I changed my plans, and decided on shooting a video of me stepping onto the stiffer surface, and see if it would support me before sucking me down. I also hoped that the surface would be stiff enough for me to breathe through cracks in it. :)

I changed into my junk shorts and then checked out the cleanup water in the pond. While it wasn't that warm, it wasn't that cold, either. :? I felt that it was still nice enough for me to clean my head, and would just get warmer as the day went on. :) I grabbed my long stick for my camera, and after spending a moment deciding where to put it, finally placed it in the same spot as last time, on the southwest side. I then got the camera, set the display to show the 16:9 viewing area, screwed the gorillapod onto it, and wrapped its three knobby tentacles around the upper part of the stick. I zoomed in on, and framed, the area, deciding to center it roughly on the horizontal crack on the surface, and planning on stepping just on or in front of it. I headed back to my things, where I took off my glasses, and returned to my camera, where I made certain everything was properly framed again. I also had my breathing pipe laying in the grass nearby, on the northwest side, out of sight, in case I did decide to use it some time. I clicked the red dot recording button, and the shooting of my scene began at 2:17 pm! :D

I headed over to the northwest side and then first lightly put my left foot onto the surface just before the horizontal crack, but took it away when the surface started to give way more easily than I had thought it would. I then knew that it wouldn't support my full weight, so I instead took a giant step into the middle, in the vicinity of the horizontal crack, immediately plunging through the stiffer surface, down to my knees in the quivering mire. I then began to slowly sink, deeper and deeper into the thick mire, pushing down around me to try getting out, but with no success. I was stuck and slowly getting sucked down more and more into the doughy undulating quagmire! :shock: Swamp gas was occasionally farting, and because of less wind this time, I hoped that the camera's mic would pick it up. As it rose past my waist and up my abdomen, the feel of the mud holding me so tight and sucking me down deeper felt stimulating, but I resisted the temptation, since this was a melodramatic sink. As I got sucked down deeper, I was pushing my arms down more into the mire as I continued to struggle, getting quite exhausted and out of breath in the process. It made interesting sounds as it closed over my shoulders, farting nicely, and started to cushion my head as I slowly settled in deeper. I was feeling some leg cramps but they weren't that painful, probably due to the two bottles of Poweraid with electrolytes that I had drank on the way up, so I ignored them and continued to sink deeper, hoping that they wouldn't intensify to the point of me having to abandon the sink. :?

As the thick quilt of quaking "elephant-skin" rose up the sides of my head, I had to tilt it further back to continue to keep my mouth, nose and eyes free of the mire. The pulsating doughy quagmire continued to rise even higher, walls of mire around the gap over my face. I made certain that the camera was in my sight for as long as possible, and also wanted to quickly get down deep enough for the mire to shade the sun from my eyes. As I sunk deeper, I tilted my head even further back, with my head moving diagonally, and under the thick stuff behind me, with the gap more in front of me, and getting smaller, until I could no longer see the camera. I had to close my eyes in the blackness as the gap in front of me closed shut, making it harder to suck air through it. But, when I tilted my head even further back, I discovered that I was able to breathe though a different crack in the stiffer mud directly above my head! :) I could linger there longer and suck air in and out through the crack, just as I had hoped! :D I put my hands up and then retracted them back down into the mire a couple of times, as well as made some humorous remarks from beneath the bog. I wished I could have stayed under longer, but the camera was still running, and I didn't think that an extended video of a "breathing bog" would be that interesting for too long.

So, I then began to work myself up, with my head breaking the surface, and then followed by more of me, as I bent my legs upward, and straightened out my body, wiggling and rising progressively higher each time in the brown doughy mess, the odd bubble of swamp gas farting around me. But, once my stomach was above the surface, I couldn't get much higher than my waist in the sticky doughy ooze in the vertical position, no matter how much I tried. So, I then had to sit and lean back, slightly on the stiffer undisturbed mud, and work my legs up, wiping the sticky muck off them, once again feeling some more leg cramps. I then crawled to the south side and headed to the water to clean up my hands before stopping the recording and turning off the camera.

The three parts of the video are linked to from this thread.

I unwrapped the gorillapod from the stick and put the camera with gorillapod back with my things. I removed the stick, put it back on the north side of my path between my sinking spot and my things, and then headed to the water for cleanup. I had to do it quickly, before the sun had a chance to warm me up too much, especially my head, since I didn't want to lose my acclimatization to the coolness of the mud/water. I was able to kneel on a mat of rushes at the edge of the pond, which was floating on loose mud, and therefore sagged down below the water from my weight, allowing me to clean up there. I leaned forward and managed to immerse most of my head in the cool water, and was relieved that the slightly cool but mild water wasn't a shock on my head. But, I still had to do it briefly, and did lots of splashing of warmer surface water on my head to clean it better. I was happy that my hair didn't feel too muddy, and I hoped that I had it cleaned well enough. I hoped that the mud in my ears was cleaned out when they were immersed in the water, which was fairly shallow there, with loose sediment just inches below the surface. When I opened my eyes, I noticed how the thick mud left a brown film on my skin, which I had to rub hard to remove, and hoped that my face was free of that film. I blindly rubbed my face/neck and cleaned it more to make certain of that, and then cleaned myself from the top down, eventually standing up to finish the job. I also cleaned my junk shorts, wrung it out, and hung it on a dead alder tree to dry in the sun and light wind.

All (hopefully) clean, I put my glasses back on, air dried, and while waiting to warm up in the warm sun, took pictures of the bog, showing the center all disturbed from my sink and escape:

CrescentD14.JPG

Looking northeastward at the patch of ground that sucked me completely under before I managed to escape! Taken at 3:10 pm.
CrescentD15.JPG

A higher view of that patch of sucking mire. Taken at 3:11 pm.

I then watched the video to see how it turned out. I was happy to see that the sound was much better, thanks to much less wind! :D But, I noticed that I hadn't stepped quite in the center, winding up a little bit higher in the shot than I had planned, but it still looked okay. I watched it through the entire sink, and then the underbog portion, before stopping it somewhere around the 20 minute mark (it was 25 minutes and 8 seconds long), since growing shadows from the trees moving slowly towards the bog were telling me that it was getting late, and I wanted to do some more sinking, this time off-camera. I decided I would watch my escape portion later on, so I put my camera back with my things, and was ready for my second sink of the day, but this time not underbog, since I still felt a little bit cool, and wasn't certain if I wanted to have to clean my higher part of my body this time, since I may be pressed for time! :?

So, keeping my glasses on, I returned to my bog. Remembering how I was starting to feel some stimulation early in my on-camera sink, I wanted to have a sink in an undisturbed part of the bog, where the surface mud was still stiff. So, I chose the east side, and facing west, I stepped into that part, sinking to my waist in the thick ooze! I struggled and savored the slow sink, loving how it felt, with the occasional bubble of swamp gas rising along my body and farting or hissing at the surface. But, the fact that the grass was in reach behind me kinda took away from the fantasy, since in order to be helpless and at the mercy of the deadly bottomless quagmire :twisted: , I needed to be out of reach of anything solid. I thought about extracting myself and moving back into the center, where I had already sunk, since it would have already been slightly warmer from absorbing my body heat from the first sink, but I didn't want to move from that spot. But, while at my lower chest in the sucking ooze, I heard an airplane that seemed to be getting closer, at which point, I quickly pulled myself out onto the grass on the east side, wiping the mud off, and then headed towards the shade of the alders. But fortunately, the plane wasn't that close, and I returned to the bog.

Once again, facing west, I stepped back into the bog, this time in the center, sinking to around my waist in the doughy quagmire. I then started to struggle and slowly sink deeper, pushing down on the mushy, gooey churned mud to my sides to slow down my descent. I continued to savor the sink, slowly struggling to escape without luck. I found that while I had my arms/hands down on the doughy surface, putting some pressure on it, I was able to stop sinking. But, each time I lifted my hands/arms, the mire would slowly suck me down deeper and deeper, especially with each movement! I noticed that during my struggling, when I pushed down on the surface of the thick mud with the palm of my hands, my wrists were becoming sore. So, every once in a while, I would push down with closed fists, which made them sink more easily. While it was tempting to sink progressively deeper, I wanted to limit the depth of my sink, since I wanted to keep the hard-to-reach parts of my back clean this time. But, I just couldn't resist getting gulped down a little bit deeper and deeper, struggling vigorously, with no solid ground within reach, no solid bottom beneath my feet, my stimulation exploding into convulsions of ecstasy! :D

I continued to enjoy the gulping mire and began to work myself back up higher, so that I could begin to mush up the rest of the undisturbed surface to make it all homogeneous in terms of looseness. Starting on the north side, I worked/crawled my way clockwise around the entire bog, turning it all into a sticky, doughy, pulsating mess of quivering bottomless sucking quagmire! I then crawled back to the center, where escape would now be even more difficult with no more stiff mud at the surface! :twisted: I was first kneeling in the mire, facing north, sinking down past my waist in that position, before slowly moving my knees to point them downward, leg cramps making things slightly uncomfortable. I leaned forward, putting my hands/arms on the surface in front of me, with the sticky goo sucking them in. I struggled, enjoying the feel, with the solid ground just out of reach. I could feel the mire quivering around me as I struggled, and eventually straightened my legs until I was sunk in more of a diagonal position in the mire, still facing north. I just loved the feel of it, like laying, partially immersed in a quagmire waterbed that had wrapped itself around over half of my body from my lower back downwards, as well as embracing the front of my chest! :D I periodically extracted my arms and placed them back on the surface, to be sucked back in again, loving the sight of the doughy slime gulping my muddy arms back down, which kept on getting sucked in deeper and deeper. I let the mire cradle my front up to my upper chest, but stopped at that, since I wanted to have an easy cleanup this time.

I finally stood up and faced west, and lingered there some more to take it all in, since this could possibly be my last sink of the season. I had been feeling a little bit on the chilled side because of the shadows of the trees that were slowly growing and sweeping over the bog, with some sun in between. I just lingered there around chest deep, struggling and enjoying it, before finally deciding to call it quits, working myself back up to my waist, and then sitting back and working my legs up. When I had finished mushing up the mud around the edge of the bog earlier, the surface was all quite lumpy and uneven. But, after the sinking and struggling, it mostly flattened out nicely. :) I smoothed it out all over nicely as I exited it, wiping the mud off my body back into the bog as well, before crawling around the grass on the edge and smoothing the rest of the bog out, trying to eliminate any low or high spots.
Last edited by Boggy Man on Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM Adventure #8 With BG Pix: Successful Sinking Day!

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:41 am

I headed back to the water, picking a spot not shaded by the lengthening shadows of the trees, and did my cleanup again, this time noticing that the water felt slightly warmer than before. :) I was muddy from the neck/armpits down on the front side, while my upper back was still clean, which made the cleanup much easier. After getting myself clean, I air-dried, taking a couple more pictures of the bog, partially shaded by the trees:

CrescentD16.JPG

Looking eastward at my bog after the entire surface had been mushed up, and then smoothed over. Taken at 4:52 pm.
CrescentD17.JPG

A closer view of the patch of sticky doughy quagmire, looking southeastward. Taken at 4:53 pm.

I also watched the last 4 minutes of the video, where I extracted myself from the mire. I then got dressed, put things away/together, and took one last picture of the bog:

CrescentD18.JPG

Looking roughly eastnortheastward at the patch of sucking muck, with the shadows positioned differently. Taken at 5:03 pm.

I switched the memory cards, jumped on the grass on the west side of the bog for the last time to see the mire quiver, and returned to my bike with my things, with my junk shorts partially dry. While putting things away, I heard something moving, and saw a cow heading down the sidetrail (the one I take to enter/exit this area), into this area. It was soon followed by another cow, and then several more cows and at least one calf. They moved aside down towards the alders/grass as I walked my bike up that trail, although one did stay on the trail and watched me as I walked by. It was just shortly after 5 pm when I left, and I took it easy heading back, since my knee still felt slightly sensitive, but thankfully not in pain. I chased a small garter snake off the road so it would be out of danger. I snacked on a couple of Pizza Pops and some chocolate chunk cookies on the way back, and in the valley took one more diclofenac (which also had misoprostol for the stomach) for the rest of the day. I got home some time just after 8 pm, just as it was getting dark, happy that I had a successful day with sinking! :D My parents had arrived home from their trip perhaps half an hour or less before I got there.

This was the best sinking day for me this season! :D The surface layer was thick enough for me to linger beneath the surface and suck air through the cracks, and the surface was still warm enough to be comfortable for keeping my head under! :) I wished I could have stayed under longer, but the camera was running, and I didn't want to fill up the memory card with gigabytes of a hissing "breathing bog" that talks occasionally, quakes, pulsates, and occasionally sprouts arms which then retract back under. :P I didn't even get a chance to make use of the breathing pipe which I had nearby for lingering under the mire, below that "breathable" depth. But, the brief time spent below the surface, sucking air through a crack in the mud after the lengthy sink, not to mention adding the rest of the muddy fun, was the height of the season! :D

According to Environment Canada, Vernon hit a high of 32˚C (89.6˚F), beating the previous September 9'th record high of 30˚C (86˚F), which was set back in 1963. The Elkhart Lodge (located between the Okanagan valley and the coast), my gauge for high elevation weather, hit 26˚C (78.8˚F), and I really noticed the heat in the higher elevations. It is a shame that my sinking season's peak had to occur just as the season winds down. :( With Hunting season starting the following day (September 10'th), I would assume that there would be an initial rush of hunters who have waited months for this. :? So, if I was to go on another bikeride, it would have to be around a couple of weeks later, when things settle down. :? I would also need the time for my right knee to recover as well. :?

I am glad that I didn't cancel out because of my fears of knee pain recurring and setting me back again. :) I was really happy that my knee made it through the day, since I thought for certain that I wouldn't even manage to make it to the beginning of the climb! I think the anti-inflammatory medication made all the difference in the world, and prevented the day from being a failure! :D A day that I thought that wouldn't be, was! :D

So, I decided I would wait a couple of weeks, and see if there is any return to warm enough weather for another bikeride. But, by then, things would be too cold for an underbog sink, limiting me to a chest-deep sink instead, unless the mud and cleanup water don't chill too much before then. :? But, it looks like this was my final underbog sink of the season, captured on a 2.88 GB 720p AVCHD .mts video, sliced and diced into 3 parts on YouTube:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2588&start=77
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Return to “General Discussion”