Sinking Locations For Everyone... With your help??

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
fetboy8

Re: Sinking Locations For Everyone... With your help??

Postby fetboy8 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:36 am

This looks like a parking area: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9745226 ... a=!3m1!1e3

If you look at the map I've added a spot which is not to far away on Route 224 which I was to roughly 30 some years ago. If you look at this map closely you can definitely see that there is a lot of mud with very little water in this area. Makes me want to take a quick trip up to Ohio before fall sets in. Let us know if you make it there Cactus.

mrcactus747

Postby mrcactus747 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:15 am

HI there..

Im not sure if Im able to go alone, I have to find the right time to go... I hope to take a look at it before fall sets in.

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:00 pm

Just wondering... Does everyone go alone, or do you go with people?

I'm kind of opening to the idea of looking for and playing in mud with another person near me. Any suggestions on how to go about finding someone?

mrcactus747

Postby mrcactus747 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:11 am

I could go alone, but I would feel comfortable with experienced sinker for now

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:56 am

jungleQSman wrote:
Sinkman61 wrote:I do know where the mud is...if you happen to be in NE Florida. NE Florida has some of the best mud that can be found anywhere in the country. I know where there's mud if you happen to live in San Diego as well.

still hoping to hear where this is in San Diego...

There's plenty of mud down at the border south of Imperial Beach. There's an estuary there where the Tijuana River dumps into the Pacific. To the south of the main river there's tidal creeks. During low tide, the mud at the bottom of these tidal creeks is exposed. This mud is both soft and very, very deep. But, being that the Tijuana River isn't known for its fresh, clean water, don't let any of this mud get in your nose or mouth, because there's no telling what kind of diseases you could end up with. Also, BEWARE...Monday thru Friday helicopters are flying by low overhead as they practice their landings at the outlying Naval Airfield located just to the north. Border Patrol also has a helicopter that they use there often.

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:48 pm

If you happen to be in the San Diego area, you want to head south to the border...along the coast. If you take the last exit, head west until you come to the first main road that heads south. Follow this all the way to boarder field, which is at the ocean. This is where the Tijuana River Estuary is located. After you park, head West toward the beach. Then turn and walk north to the mouth of the Tijuana River. If you then head east, you'll come across a tidal river that heads towards the south. When the tide is out, the mud here is incredibly deep along the sides of the tidal creek. If you skip this and head further east, you'll come across a few other tidal creeks. These too are very muddy, with many areas being really, really deep.

There's another area at the very southern end of the bay, just to the north of Imperial Beach. I always accessed the area with my jetski. Anyhow, there's a tidal creek that comes off the bay about half way across on the very southern end. On the west side of the tidal creek there's an old jeep road. Between the creek and the road there's a really low embankment. The bottom of the embankment is nearly all thick, deep mud. Sinking down into it isn't nearly as easy as that found down by the boarder, but there's much better privacy.

jpiker77

Postby jpiker77 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Looking for deep mud around Mansfield, Ashland, and Wooster OHIO, US. I tried looking but i cant find any good spots, anyone wanna help??

jungleQSman

Postby jungleQSman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:21 am

Sinkman61 wrote:If you happen to be in the San Diego area, you want to head south to the border...along the coast. If you take the last exit, head west until you come to the first main road that heads south. Follow this all the way to boarder field, which is at the ocean. This is where the Tijuana River Estuary is located. After you park, head West toward the beach. Then turn and walk north to the mouth of the Tijuana River. If you then head east, you'll come across a tidal river that heads towards the south. When the tide is out, the mud here is incredibly deep along the sides of the tidal creek. If you skip this and head further east, you'll come across a few other tidal creeks. These too are very muddy, with many areas being really, really deep.

There's another area at the very southern end of the bay, just to the north of Imperial Beach. I always accessed the area with my jetski. Anyhow, there's a tidal creek that comes off the bay about half way across on the very southern end. On the west side of the tidal creek there's an old jeep road. Between the creek and the road there's a really low embankment. The bottom of the embankment is nearly all thick, deep mud. Sinking down into it isn't nearly as easy as that found down by the boarder, but there's much better privacy.

Great Leads... prob will stay away from the TJ river, its npot getting any cleaner with the drought!

Could you drop a pin on a map on the spots near Imperial beach, looks like a bunch of creeks.....

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:30 am

I've never been able to get that function to work on my tablet. But if you go to the northern most road in Imperial Beach, you should be able to find it without too much difficulty. Just go towards the west part of Imperial Beach and look to the very southern end of the bay. There's a dirt road that goes to the north. It'll have a canal that runs on its eastern side. Walk down that road, go through any fence and head to the southern end of the bay. The mud is down the embankment on the eastern side of that dirt road. I've never seen anyone in that area.

As for the TJ River, there's an apartment complex to the north end of the Tijuana Estuary. You can't miss it, as it'll be right at the north east corner near the Navy's helicopter feild. Its near the beach at the southernmost part of the western end of Imperial Beach. There's also an estuary welcome center by the apartments. There's a couple of paths that head south from behind those apartments and around the estuary center. One path leads straight through the estuary while the other goes a bit more to the east and runs south along the helicopter field fence line. Both go towards the river, which in this case, will be to your south. On that path you'll see vast tracks of mud flats during low tide, as if someone let the drain out of a few ponds. This is all very deep mud should you venture out. You're less likely to get caught by boarder patrol here, but you're in view of houses that go along the eastern flank. But...if you search the area to the west of the path that goes into the estuary, it'll take you far enough away from the houses where you can play around. I've done a few sinks here. This area is far cleaner because the only water coming from the TJ river is influshed from the ocean during high tide. Either way, even the mud to the south side of the river, as long as you stick to the tidal creeks and stay out of the river, isn't that bad because that too is mostly flushed by tidal action and not by the river itself. Plus, if you search around, there's deep mud areas completely separate from tidal creeks and the r. But it'll take some exploring around to find those areas. All the mud back in there is really deep...well over one's head. But I wouldn't sink deeper than neck deep anywhere around here regardless. And don't forget about the border patrol. I don't know if they'd ever say anything to you or not. I used to time the their helo going overhead before I'd do a sink, then I'd walk out into the ocean for a quick cleanup. This is the best mud I ever found in San Diego.

There's another spot just to the north of the skydiving center at Otay Lakes. I've found waist deep mud along the lake's shore at the very end, but it wasn't reliable. Sometimes it'd be there, other times it'd be gone. It was always hit and miss at best. I looked all over in San Diego, but never found any other places.

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:46 am

I've got an incredible place I like sinking here in NE Florida. In fact, as I first started sinking in mud way back before most of you were even alive (1976), the mud here in NE Florida is by far, the best I've ever encountered anywhere...anyplace... at anytime. There's lots of it (literally hundreds, if not thousands of acre), which complete privacy on most of it. I'm talking deep mud. And when I say deep, I don't mean knee or waist deep...I mean you can't reach the bottom, even if you go completely under. It comes in every thickness you could possibly want...from runny to super thick and everything in between. But what you won't find is organic. This is all super smooth, super sticky tidal mud. But...you either need a boat for access OR...good foot protection to get past oyster shells that tend to line the banks (they'll do a hell of a number on your feet other). Foot protection needs to be such that it can't be pulled off your feet from the mud's suction, as you eventually have to get back across those same shells on your way out. I recommend hightop boots or dive booties with a heavy sole. There's a terrific type of dive booie that has laces and is sold through Amazon.com. They're basically work boots made of neoprene with heavy soles that lace up. There's nothing on them that'll ever rust. They're also very comfy as well, and will insulate your feet in everything but subartic conditions.

Return to “General Discussion”