Sinking Locations For Everyone... With your help??

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
muddymatt

Re: Sinking Locations For Everyone... With your help??

Postby muddymatt » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:23 am

ok. I'm from Christchurch, but my grandparents live near dunedin. good to know there are some people in NZ though! :)

Terminator

any QS locations in manitoba?

Postby Terminator » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Im new to QSFans and was wondering if anyone had some good locations in manitoba, mud, quick sand, what ever you like post them please. As I find some of my own ill post them to. I live in Winnipeg and hope to find some near by but Im willing to drive for good ones. I know its winter but feel free to post summer or all season ones to please.

Thanks in advance

cygnus421

Postby cygnus421 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:15 pm

This is a very very very awesome idea!

My question is, is there anyway to upload all of those locations straight into my google maps?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, im technologically impaired.
With the heart and mind united

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:18 am

kibosan wrote:I couldnt find an edit button. I know at least two decent sinking spots in Florida, One in the Orlando area, the other(s) along the St Lucie River in Port St Lucie. Help me find that edit button and we'll make something happen. I'm in the Las Vegas area, not anticipating much here, except possibly the Lake Mead area. Anyone?

You first have to have a gmail account. You then log onto your gmail account, and then when you load the page with the map, the edit button should appear. 8-)
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:32 am

kibosan wrote:I had the gmail account open 1st...would that make the difference?

You first log in to your gmail account, then load the Google Maps page. If the page is already loaded, you have to refresh it after logging into your gmail account.

Or, it is simpler to go straight to the Google Maps page, click on the "Sign in" link in the top right hand corner of the page, and enter your gmail username and password.

A small "Edit" button then appears in the top part of the left column of text, in the line above the "Sinking Holes" title, to the right of the "Collaborate" link. Hope that helps. 8-)
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

tempman

Postby tempman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:52 pm

I know we're not short of locations in the north west of England with Morecambe Bay and the peaty moors. But me and the fiancee went off sinking in Blackpool and Fleetwood late last year before the weather turned cold. It was pretty fun. Both got to our hips in quicksand.
We were staying in a hotel overnight nearby so we could play out of sight.

Rickington

Postby Rickington » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Might I also suggest using a topographic map add-on for Google Earth when searching for spots. :-D

http://www.gelib.com/usgs-topographic-maps-2.htm (so far, I believe this only covers the United States, but it does make finding potential spots a little easier. Also, when using Google Earth (with or without this add-on), I would recommend turning the "Parks" feature on (Layers --> Parks/Recreation Areas/Parks) because spots outside of public parks could be private property. :shock:

Also, one last thing, if you find a potentially good spot, why not take a look at it in more detail by using the "Bird's eye" view option for the location you found (this will give you a more detailed image because for Bing's "Bird's eye" imagery, I believe the photos are taken via helicopter instead of a satellite, thus giving a much more accurate image of any said potential sinking spot (in the United States at least)...

I hope this helps. :D

bart1997

Postby bart1997 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:53 pm

Last edited by bart1997 on Sat May 09, 2015 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rickington

Postby Rickington » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:15 am

bart1997 wrote:I did recommend using topographic maps multiple times here, but did mean looking them up at the library or book store.

But this is really an AWESOME tool! Okay, the scale of these maps could be larger but it's enough to find swampy regions not visible at google earth.

Over here at home this kind of service has been provided by the geodetic agencies for a couple of years now and i did find lots of spots with these tools, so USE this service!

Indeed. I would also recommend using street view (and Bing map's "Bird's eye" view) (at least in the US) to see how private your spot is.

For example, for a spot I recently found on Google Earth, satellite imagery was not enough to determine how private the spot would be (in theory), so I proceeded by using both Bing map's "bird's eye" view system and street view to see how private the spot would be.

However, these tools are not a substitute for scouting out your spot before you sink in it! ;)

BolianAdmiral

Postby BolianAdmiral » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:45 am

Hi, all...

I'm brand-new here, but Dave Lodoski knows me as his number one Skylar fan from Torrance, lol. Anyway, I'm almost 100% positive that I have found all the Texas clay pits used in various shoots, but I would really appreciate it if one of the fine producers here would be willing to confirm my finds with me first via PM or email, so that I don't post wrong information. Planning a trip to Dallas very soon, so I plan to check these spots out myself on the way, regardless.

Also, I remember WAY back when, on Jiminy Thicket's old site, there was a list of California mud locations, and one of them was the Little Lake mud pit... would anyone happen to still have that info? There is not much here in SoCal, though for the moment, Lake Piru seems to have a bit of promise.

Return to “General Discussion”