Sinking Locations For Everyone... With your help??

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Bongo

Re: Sinking Locations For Everyone... With your help??

Postby Bongo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:11 am

To those in the Southern California region I marked as much as I could along the Santa Ana River leading into the Prado Reservoir area. I tried to find places that were easily accessible but still relatively hidden. Given how densely populated the Los Angeles Area/Inland Empire is there is bound to be some SoCal sinkers out there that would appreciate the potential areas in such a bone dry environment. However they are all mostly potential as I haven't explored them yet fully myself yet,

Jackdaw

Postby Jackdaw » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:36 pm

ImpracticalFetish wrote:
Jackdaw wrote:I have this huge bog roughly 30 km from where I live. Bottomless and soft, this bog features sudden deep holes that will swallow you if you let it.

PS: This is in Sweden. Can provide further details to anyone interested.

PSS: First post since joining years ago.

I reside in sweden to. I'm interested!

PS: if you speak swedish so to say, har du stött på några fler svenskar som delar den här fetishen?

No, not yet. The bog resides at a place called ’Norrvissjö’ if I remember correctly. It’s a huhe bog, with some more muddy sinking and some more watery. Lovely place.

arrdub

Postby arrdub » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:26 am

Does any Aussie sinkers have any locations for Queensland? I am 27, first-time sinker and hoping to make it happen.

Aussie_Bob

Postby Aussie_Bob » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:53 am

ppbag wrote:
Aussie_Bob wrote:
farwing wrote:It looks like everything was deleted off the map. There were hundreds of spots listed when I added my spots a week ago.

Well, if someone has deleted the points in the map to be a dick, I made a copy of the map back in August 2016 - So not all is lost.

Does anyone else have a newer backup?

Where do we get a copy of the copy?

Sorry! i didn't check the forums for a while.
Here it is.
I have set it up to email me with weekley backups, so if it gets vandalised again, i can always restore it to within a week...

I will export it as a KML, and impoprt it into the one on the main page, and i will attempt to make weekley backups of the one on the main page too.

EDIT:::
I have imported the layers into the map on the first page of this thread.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Aussie_Bob wrote: ....I will export it as a KML, and impoprt it into the one on the main page, and i will attempt to make weekley backups of the one on the main page too.

EDIT:::
I have imported the layers into the map on the first page of this thread.

Thank you very much!
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Aussie_Bob

Postby Aussie_Bob » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:58 am

Just so we're not caught with our pants down again, It would probably be good if more people (other than just me) were backing up the map too.
(As i don't check it or this forum often enough to notice much)

Here's the service I'm using: http://nearby.org.uk/mymaps-backup.php
It's free, it checks the map at set intervals, and if it detects changes, it emails the user a .kml file. (which can be used to restore the map if anyone deletes all the points again.)

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Now that it's cold up here in the northeast US, I've been thinking about taking a trip to a warmer part of the country that might have some sinking opportunities in December. Any thoughts/suggestions? Is Florida full of alligators? what about the SW US?

Aussie_Bob

Postby Aussie_Bob » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:54 am

ok, Question:
Did the map owner lock the map? or has it been vandalised again?
(Also, locking the map will stop the backup system I was running from working)

as all I'm getting is this when I try to view the map:

map-locked.png

My logs show that someone renamed the map to "whosharedthis" yestderday, shortly before the file was locked.

Should i restore my backup _again_ and create a new file that I moderate?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:44 pm

I have to login with my real account to view the map?
No way! Seems someone hijacked the map and now possibly uses it as a means to collect email-adresses.

In case you have a real backup, use it please for a all new map. Maybe it's possible for a moderator to edit the first post of this thread and include the new adress.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Aussie_Bob

Postby Aussie_Bob » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:43 am

bogbud wrote:I have to login with my real account to view the map?
No way!

If I make a new one, from one of the backups I have (Which I'm having trouble with restoring, as apparently using characters such as "&" in location descriptions corrupts the file) - I would make it Login to edit Requirement. - However, as for "Real" account, it doesn't take much to create a gmail account. Hell, I'm apparently "Jim Henson"on Gmail. Nope, it's not my real name. nor is it the email address I use for anything other than this stuff.

To create a google/gmail account, all you need is: a Name (Any Name, Make One Up)
a Password you will remember.
and that's about it. Gmail became too easy.

Or even, use a Yandex address, as you can sign up for a new "google account" with a Yandex address.
You never have to use your "real account"

But yeah, If I make a map, to combat constant vandalism, I will do it like this:
Create a new map, share the link in a new thread.
ask in the new thread that people "request access" (Even with a new fake account)
then PM me on here with the email address they used to request access.

In that way, Only people on this forum will have access, the link won't be public (Or maybe, Public View, Edit requires permission)
That way, if someone vandalises it after verification, we will all know who it was.

-----------

Either way, I will give it a couple of days, and if the OP doesn't manage to get control of this map back, I will start a new one with a few protections. (After talking to fred588 in email, he gave me the idea of two maps, One editable, one not. people can make edits to the edit one, then once a week, i will copy them to the viewable edit protected one) which should take care of any future vandalism.

Return to “General Discussion”