Sinking Locations For Everyone... With your help??

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
beachbum

Re: Sinking Locations For Everyone... With your help??

Postby beachbum » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:18 pm

The mud in NE Florida sounds great!, but with some hazards. I was down there in April and was curious as to how deep and thick the mud is down there.

Kimalainen

Postby Kimalainen » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:06 am

I moved to Oregon this summer and I have been getting used to mud. We found a clay spot on the bank of Log Creek with that clay stuff that is easy to sink in and I got stuck, he helped me out. I'm 4' 8" so it might be over my head but I don't know, he is 6' tall it is not over his head, he didn't get stuck.

Jon Smith

Postby Jon Smith » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:02 am

Kimalainen wrote:I moved to Oregon this summer and I have been getting used to mud. We found a clay spot on the bank of Log Creek with that clay stuff that is easy to sink in and I got stuck, he helped me out. I'm 4' 8" so it might be over my head but I don't know, he is 6' tall it is not over his head, he didn't get stuck.

This is actually a really good spot. It is well-hidden by a patch of blackberries. Unfortunately, it's on private property.

Ace

Postby Ace » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:00 pm

Jon Smith wrote:
Kimalainen wrote:I moved to Oregon this summer and I have been getting used to mud. We found a clay spot on the bank of Log Creek with that clay stuff that is easy to sink in and I got stuck, he helped me out. I'm 4' 8" so it might be over my head but I don't know, he is 6' tall it is not over his head, he didn't get stuck.

This is actually a really good spot. It is well-hidden by a patch of blackberries. Unfortunately, it's on private property.

Where exactly is this?

Jon Smith

Postby Jon Smith » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:34 pm

Ace wrote:
Jon Smith wrote:

Where exactly is this?

It's near the Mohawk river (near log creek) on a 640-acre private property section, owned by a very strict dude who does not tolerate trespassers anymore. However, I know him and he lets me onto his property.

triclopse

Postby triclopse » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:23 pm

50°42'59.8"N 1°13'12.4"W
50.716599, -1.220116

I may have found a good spot on a recent trip to the Isle of Wight. Firestone copse near Wooton is a forrest that borders some marshland. There are lots of patches of very thick, sticky mud around the edge of the marsh. Most of what I walked through was about ankle deep, but even that shallow it was hard to pull my feet out in places. In the marsh itself though, the mud was soft and creamy, and much deeper. I got down to about thigh deep but there was a layer of water on top. There were a fair few dog walkers and joggers around the main paths of the forrest, some of which got close to the edge of the marshland, though the trees around there provide some degree of cover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby 101927700 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:38 pm

triclopse wrote:50°42'59.8"N 1°13'12.4"W
50.716599, -1.220116

I may have found a good spot on a recent trip to the Isle of Wight. Firestone copse near Wooton is a forrest that borders some marshland. There are lots of patches of very thick, sticky mud around the edge of the marsh. Most of what I walked through was about ankle deep, but even that shallow it was hard to pull my feet out in places. In the marsh itself though, the mud was soft and creamy, and much deeper. I got down to about thigh deep but there was a layer of water on top. There were a fair few dog walkers and joggers around the main paths of the forrest, some of which got close to the edge of the marshland, though the trees around there provide some degree of cover.

Sounds like a good spot for chest waders if you don't get them too stuck in the edge mud.
I’m not the person I was in 2016.
Profile picture by twitter.com/bogexplorer

rkarphi

Postby rkarphi » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:59 am

hiimawesome wrote:I just moved down to Santa Barbara County in California, and I guess I'm not the only one having a helluva time finding stuff. I did some digging of my own on google maps and in person and it seems that either A: the area has bear problems or B: the area has bear problems or C: the area is incredibly shallow.

I thought that with the drought, dried lake beds would make incredible finds - now it seems that even the Salton Sea mudpots are dried up. Any help? Or anyone who can point me in the right direction?

I wish beaches had quicksand. :|

Let me know if you find any good spots.

jungleQSman

Postby jungleQSman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:04 pm

rkarphi wrote:
hiimawesome wrote:I just moved down to Santa Barbara County in California, and I guess I'm not the only one having a helluva time finding stuff. I did some digging of my own on google maps and in person and it seems that either A: the area has bear problems or B: the area has bear problems or C: the area is incredibly shallow.

I thought that with the drought, dried lake beds would make incredible finds - now it seems that even the Salton Sea mudpots are dried up. Any help? Or anyone who can point me in the right direction?

I wish beaches had quicksand. :|

Let me know if you find any good spots.

hey there ive been in one of the mud pots out at Salton has been getting dryer every year (although maybe a couple of the realy big mud pots will be mud and not a couple feet of wate)........ cant seem to find anything down here either in San Diego!
I have one marsh to check but its to built up around the perimeter.....plus its near the Tijuana river which is very polluted......hoping to get out to Salton again soon to check it out but my bud i used to go with flaked on me... LOL
prefer going with some one to be safe... ;-) .

TheElaborateNeurotic

Postby TheElaborateNeurotic » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:57 pm

Hey everyone. I just moved to Murfreesboro, Tennessee and I'm having a little bit of trouble finding potential spots near me. The only promising bodies of water I found or at least a two-hour drive from me and they don't look promising enough to warrant being on the road that long. If anyone could give me some leads on where to look, it'd be much appreciated.

Return to “General Discussion”