Sinking Locations For Everyone... With your help??

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Earthscaress

Re: Sinking Locations For Everyone... With your help??

Postby Earthscaress » Mon May 29, 2017 3:27 am

I added a site to the map in PA around Honey Brook township in Chester County. I named it Muddy Dead End and it was my first sinking site when I was in high school. The mud is sediment that gets deposited when the creek forks off and the one fork dead-ends. It has smooth, thick mud all around the banks that is about knee-midthigh deep, so if you're looking for full submersion, it isn't very deep and you'll have to work yourself in there. It's fairly easy to access. There's a trail that used to be an old railroad track that runs parallel to the creek and there's a small path that leads to the spot. Since it's right by the creek, post-sink cleanup is easy. There's tall grass for most of the summer that you can use for semi-privacy.

The downsides: while this isn't a public park, people do use the trails and creek for hiking, dirt biking, and fishing from time to time. While I've used this spot several days a week each week for about three years during the summer, I've only been almost caught once and actually caught once (luckily the older man just left me alone without saying anything, but it was pretty embarrassing at the time). So overall, chances of getting caught are still pretty slim. The mud can sometimes contain small leeches, but they are also rare occurrences. And since this is PA, a general warning about snakes, such as water moccasins, and snapping turtles is also in affect, but I haven't encountered either in this area.

I love this spot, but thanks to being in the military and bouncing around, I haven't been back there in about 12 years. I have a strong urge to go back and visit the place for old times sake, so maybe this summer.

Rickington

Postby Rickington » Mon May 29, 2017 8:33 pm

Earthscaress wrote:I added a site to the map in PA around Honey Brook township in Chester County. I named it Muddy Dead End and it was my first sinking site when I was in high school. The mud is sediment that gets deposited when the creek forks off and the one fork dead-ends. It has smooth, thick mud all around the banks that is about knee-midthigh deep, so if you're looking for full submersion, it isn't very deep and you'll have to work yourself in there. It's fairly easy to access. There's a trail that used to be an old railroad track that runs parallel to the creek and there's a small path that leads to the spot. Since it's right by the creek, post-sink cleanup is easy. There's tall grass for most of the summer that you can use for semi-privacy.

The downsides: while this isn't a public park, people do use the trails and creek for hiking, dirt biking, and fishing from time to time. While I've used this spot several days a week each week for about three years during the summer, I've only been almost caught once and actually caught once (luckily the older man just left me alone without saying anything, but it was pretty embarrassing at the time). So overall, chances of getting caught are still pretty slim. The mud can sometimes contain small leeches, but they are also rare occurrences. And since this is PA, a general warning about snakes, such as water moccasins, and snapping turtles is also in affect, but I haven't encountered either in this area.

I love this spot, but thanks to being in the military and bouncing around, I haven't been back there in about 12 years. I have a strong urge to go back and visit the place for old times sake, so maybe this summer.

ooh! That's not too far from me (~an hour away), do you recall if there's any place to park nearby?

jungleQSman

Postby jungleQSman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:11 am

jungleQSman wrote:Walpole MA

Hey I noticed someone tagged what looks like a great location in Walpole, MA at a Quarry.

Is it still good? Not sure when the tag was added to the map, I know the general area, I grew up in SE MA,,,, Know the mid Cape as well.

I may be getting back home to MA more this summer fro work and may have opportunity to get there....

thought i would re-post.. see if any bites....

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:56 pm

I've never posted my sinking locations before but here are 2 spots in central New Jersey by me. It depends on the amount of rain and tides but I have been waist deep before and is pretty sticky. The best thing is that it is pretty secluded especially later in the day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:11 pm

Looks nice! :D

fetboy8

Postby fetboy8 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:51 am

Added two spots in the Jacksonville, FL area. Need a kayak to get to them and have to drag it into the mud to get some privacy but well worth it. Points 264 and 265. Pics are from point 264 during low tide

fetboy8

Postby fetboy8 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:26 am

Here's the pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jungleQSman

Postby jungleQSman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:27 am

fetboy8 wrote:Here's the pics

man would love to join you there!!

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:47 am

Wow, all those look amazing. How does tidal mid compare to creek/stream/lake mud?

cherryrue

Postby cherryrue » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:55 am

Do anyone know of any sinkholes spots near Long Beach California

Return to “General Discussion”