Sinking Locations For Everyone... With your help??

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
RayLiehm

Re: Sinking Locations For Everyone... With your help??

Postby RayLiehm » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:56 am

If I might make a humble request, if there is anyone living in Australia, particularly on the east cost, could you please post any spots you have! So far I'm the only one to put anything up, but I haven't had a chance to explore the location yet. Any and all help is appreciated :)

drnooom

Postby drnooom » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:44 am

RayLiehm wrote:If I might make a humble request, if there is anyone living in Australia, particularly on the east cost, could you please post any spots you have! So far I'm the only one to put anything up, but I haven't had a chance to explore the location yet. Any and all help is appreciated :)

If I knew of any I would post right away! I'm as lost as you are :(

ScruffPup

Postby ScruffPup » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:02 am

RayLiehm wrote:If I might make a humble request, if there is anyone living in Australia, particularly on the east cost, could you please post any spots you have! So far I'm the only one to put anything up, but I haven't had a chance to explore the location yet. Any and all help is appreciated :)

Howdeh, I know of one spot down near Tooradin. I'll put up a marker when I get the chance. :) It's a little public, but given how dry australia is, any spot is worthwhile. :lol:

Cheers,
Scruff.

chefothefuture

Postby chefothefuture » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:07 am

Okay, so here's a stumper...
How about any decent spots on the Big Island of Hawaii? I see a spot that looks promising but it is a little public and I am not sure about the water supply.....

Toodles,
chefo

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:24 pm

I have done a good deal of research on the BI that provided occasion to study the ground a bit (cave exploration and cave-related research). I did encounter one location inside a cave that had mud a bit more than knee deep. However, using it for sinking would be both damaging to the cave and illegal (since entering a cave there without the landowner's permission is not allowed anymore) so I will not even say which part of the island its in. Aside from that, the entire island is underlain by very porous volcanic rock, which allows rain water to drain through so fast that rivers and streams are quite rare. If you can find anything it would be on the older parts of the island underlain by Mauna Kea or Kohala.

Its my understanding that sugar plantations use a process that would tend to produce runoff of water laden with fine silt that could accumulate enough to provide something deep enough but I don't think there are any sugar plantations left on the BI.

chefothefuture wrote:Okay, so here's a stumper...
How about any decent spots on the Big Island of Hawaii? I see a spot that looks promising but it is a little public and I am not sure about the water supply.....

Toodles,
chefo
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

chefothefuture

Postby chefothefuture » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:13 pm

Fred588 wrote:I have done a good deal of research on the BI that provided occasion to study the ground a bit (cave exploration and cave-related research). I did encounter one location inside a cave that had mud a bit more than knee deep. However, using it for sinking would be both damaging to the cave and illegal (since entering a cave there without the landowner's permission is not allowed anymore) so I will not even say which part of the island its in. Aside from that, the entire island is underlain by very porous volcanic rock, which allows rain water to drain through so fast that rivers and streams are quite rare. If you can find anything it would be on the older parts of the island underlain by Mauna Kea or Kohala.

Its my understanding that sugar plantations use a process that would tend to produce runoff of water laden with fine silt that could accumulate enough to provide something deep enough but I don't think there are any sugar plantations left on the BI.

That has been pretty much what I have determined. The BI really does not have many rivers. Though the Kohala coast is sliced by many streams, the beds are very rocky. There is a "swamp" in Waipio Valley, but it looks exposed and on private land; folks who live there are trying to escape the rest of the world and are very happy to show trespassers how they feel about it...
The other problem with the farm runoff is that it is pretty laden with fertilizer and other nasties. A friend of mine got a very nasty case of staph from a "freshwater" pond....
Sounds like I will need to make my own sinkin' hole...
Tech question to be posted soon... LOL!

All the best,
chefo

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:39 pm

I've been to the Waipio Valley. There is, indeed, a swamp there although most of it is a Taro plantation (so the Taro growers are not likely to take kindly to any disturbance). There is a small stream that crosses the beach and creates a fairly deep cut through the sand, making it look promising, but there is nothing there. If you walk the beach there you will discover a few places where the dry sand is quite soft, but its only a few inches deep and the soft feeling occurs, in my experience, at the top of the incline created by the largest of waves. I expect it is more lightweight sand (ground shells) than quick.

The whole valley is quite interesting to observe and served, in fact, as the model for some key scenes in a screen play I wrote (never been produced and likely never will be) called "Planet Robinson."

chefothefuture wrote:
snip

That has been pretty much what I have determined. The BI really does not have many rivers. Though the Kohala coast is sliced by many streams, the beds are very rocky. There is a "swamp" in Waipio Valley, but it looks exposed and on private land; folks who live there are trying to escape the rest of the world and are very happy to show trespassers how they feel about it...
The other problem with the farm runoff is that it is pretty laden with fertilizer and other nasties. A friend of mine got a very nasty case of staph from a "freshwater" pond....
Sounds like I will need to make my own sinkin' hole...
Tech question to be posted soon... LOL!

All the best,
chefo
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

chefothefuture

Postby chefothefuture » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:45 am

Fred588 wrote:I've been to the Waipio Valley. There is, indeed, a swamp there although most of it is a Taro plantation (so the Taro growers are not likely to take kindly to any disturbance). There is a small stream that crosses the beach and creates a fairly deep cut through the sand, making it look promising, but there is nothing there. If you walk the beach there you will discover a few places where the dry sand is quite soft, but its only a few inches deep and the soft feeling occurs, in my experience, at the top of the incline created by the largest of waves. I expect it is more lightweight sand (ground shells) than quick.

The whole valley is quite interesting to observe and served, in fact, as the model for some key scenes in a screen play I wrote (never been produced and likely never will be) called "Planet Robinson."

That's pretty much what I suspected. Well, at least I don't have to climb the hill/road either muddy or bummed at not finding much. LOL! Though the road hike makes for superb mountain training...
I am beginning to think that my summer place in the Cascades(w/backyard swamp) is more of a paradise than here! LOL!
Yes, the Taro growers are a reclusive bunch (tho I do know one quite well...).
Well, I will be posting a tech question soon as I will choose to create my own swamp....

BTW- Thanks for your "in depth" analysis on Waipio.

Hey, maybe the lack of a QS scene in Lost is indicative of the situation here. Though there is a Hawaiian word for Quicksand it may come from polynesian roots...

Toodles,
chefo

muddymatt

Postby muddymatt » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:56 am

Is there anyone at all from NZ?
I have found 2 areas with several places, but both of them are quite open, which is annoying.
I have found 3 other areas, but none of them are particularly deep, and they are quite far away, considering I bike to the places.

there are probably plenty of places in the mountains somewhere, but there is no way for me to get there, since I can't drive yet.

ctnz

Postby ctnz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:24 am

muddymatt wrote:Is there anyone at all from NZ?
I have found 2 areas with several places, but both of them are quite open, which is annoying.
I have found 3 other areas, but none of them are particularly deep, and they are quite far away, considering I bike to the places.

there are probably plenty of places in the mountains somewhere, but there is no way for me to get there, since I can't drive yet.

Yep, from the Akl area. No 'secret' places found, though. You might want to contact the youtube channel hootiewam, who is also from NZ and has some 'boots in mud' videos. He must have shot them somewhere :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”