How to get out?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
ando4444

How to get out?

Postby ando4444 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:52 am

Im sure any experienced sinker would look at this and give a little chuckle but please help. Im relatively new to sinking and can get out fine already from waist deep but how do you get out if you are even deeper?

gamwam

Re: How to get out?

Postby gamwam » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:10 am

Just climb out! All u have to remember is that if you raise your legs up in front of you while they are under, it will probably pull you further down or get you no where if you are vertical, so keep legs straight, arms on the surface with hands spread out to get maximum surface area, wiggle hips, push down with arms and you will usually come out to about your chest, then lean your upper body forward pressing your chest into the mud arms stretched out, and keeping legs straight, try to bend forward pushing your chest into the mud and this will usually create plenty of leaverage lifting your legs up to around the waist, from there it's plain sailing. U can also lean back instead but this can sometimes force your knees to bend up which makes it harder work to extract the legs, so I prefer the lean forward method.

Bare in mind, qs is different, it's more difficult to get out of especially if the water drains out of it and it becomes compacted wet sand, so with qs - try to keep it agitated and liquid with gentle undulation movements, and u will usually just float back to the surface as the human body is very boyant in qs, silt ect, it's not quite so boyant in peaty organic mud though.

Unless you are into feeling stuck and looking for a real battle to get out, avoid boots, wear flexible shoes or none at all as you will need to point your feet downwards to wriggle your legs up, and boots with no give in them stop you doing that, and create an anchor point,

We'll have you diving in head first in no time he he

ando4444

Postby ando4444 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:04 pm

honestly amazing tips. thank you so much. looks like im learning from the best. ill try to put it in to practicality as soon as i can. cheers!

bart1997

-

Postby bart1997 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:39 pm

-
Last edited by bart1997 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Ive never needed anything else to hang into, I find carrying things around cumbersome!, I've never needed a floatation device, but I would say that if your not experienced it would be a good idea! I have heard that a tea tray works brilliantly! Makes a nice little platform to heav yourself into - and a handy place to position your canera. Not that anyone except boggyman actually videos there sinks now days

Gaz

Return to “General Discussion”