Long Hair and Quicksand

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Duncan Edwards

Re: Long Hair and Quicksand

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Skyrook92 wrote:
Fred588 wrote:If you want to get that experience the best way is to crew for an actual producer. That is easy enough to arrange. Since you work in production I suspect you have learned much of what you do know that way.

I've often thought about doing this, but I still can't figure out what I would tell my family, friends, and coworkers about disappearing to The South for two weeks. Maybe I'll figure out a solution to this by next season.

I can tell you from personal experience it can be done. For 15 years I traveled all over North America on my own, with MPV, and with Fred, shooting or assisting these videos. Nobody at home ever knew what I was up to.

I also share your thoughts about the shots you'd like to see. Reality is that having only one or two people on a crew and a limited amount of time to shoot makes it very difficult. Producers face hard choices regarding how much effort to put into each scene versus what it costs. If you double the amount of time taken to shoot will you double your sales? Not likely. It's a difficult equation. In a perfect world you would have two people who knew what they were doing running cameras, one shooting stills, and an extra set of hands for all the stuff behind the scenes that goes on. And they all need to be pretty good at it and work for free. I've been present when it happened but it was rare in the beginning and nearly impossible now. Point of all that information is that making hair work a certain way is likely way down the list of things on anyone's mind during a shoot. I've seen it happen a couple of times where it worked out pretty good but it was just luck.

I love that look too. Maybe some day.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:35 am

Long hair sinking sequence? Here's one with Amy Lee of Evanescence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJGpsL_XYQI
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

dk_angel7

Postby dk_angel7 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:14 am

I love the idea of long hair and quicksand. But I would not make it go so far as to make it fatal.
My stories are my writings. They reflect who and what I am. User beware.

Return to “General Discussion”