Concerns About Wildlife

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
nachtjaeger

Re: Concerns About Wildlife

Postby nachtjaeger » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:37 am

If there are Mountain Lions (Cougar, Puma) in your area, that is definitely a concern- they are known to prey on humans.

The common Black Bear is pretty chill- unless it's starving, or you get between a mama bear and her cubs. Unlikely, but it can happen.

If you're in the Yellowstone area, then there are Grizzly Bears to worry about. Bad tempered and predatory.

Wolves are pretty rare, and don't generally hunt humans unless sick or starving.

Western Coyotes are pretty aggressive, but smaller than wolves and generally don't hunt in packs. Usually won't attack a healthy adult human.

Eastern Coyotes, however, are hybrids of Gray Wolf and Coyote. They're gradually breeding up to the size of wolves, the better to hunt deer and moose. They hunt in packs, are more intelligent than Coyotes (which is saying something) and have little fear of humans. The jury is still out on them attacking humans.

And of course 'gators in the swamps down South.

That's about it for non-legendary critters that could eat you. The legendary ones, however. . . ;)

Jumpoff_Joe wrote:I'm pretty much a city person and I know very little about the big tracks I see in the mud along the rivers and lakes of North America. I know I should be concerned about mountain lions -- which do live in my area -- but what else should I watch out for? I am not fond of human encounters when "in the field" but large animals pose a different threat. Anyone care to chime in?

Thank you
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:24 am

Most any wildlife you see is going to be running away from you. The only dangerous major critter I ever found was a copperhead during a studio shoot. Before I could whack it with a shovel it got obliterated by one of the model's boyfriends wielding a big rock. Snakes, snapping turtles, insects, and cows are more likely to be troubling encounters than big cats. The most dangerous creature of all around here is the common deer. They are everywhere here and the most statistically likely creature to cause injury or death when you collide with one on the road. Insects don't scare and have caused me real pain. I've been attacked by yellow jackets during a studio shoot and again about three or four weeks ago in my own back yard. That was good for about a dozen stings. It nearly got me burned when I retaliated with a flaming jihad a short time later. Oh and there was this skunk one night. That didn't end well for either of us. If you're ever really worried take some strings of little firecrackers. Critters hate firecrackers.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:06 pm

I've heard we have bears.

However, I have never seen a bear. Anywhere. Not even once. Not even a track. Not after hundreds of hours, not since I began exploring seriously in 2006.

We did have a bear enter the city a couple years ago. Sadly, it got killed by humans.

That happened once. Just once.

I still haven't ever seen a bear with my own eyeballs outside of a zoo, a taxidermy exhibit in a nature center, or a bear rug.

So, I conclude that I am far likelier to die in a car crash than be mauled by a bear despite the solid proof provided by the bear-in-the-city incident (and my auntie's bear rug) that bears exist here.

They have pretty big claws and teeth, though. You should have seen the head on that rug.

So the question becomes, what is the actual threat posed by mountain lions in your area? Are there reliable sightings? Have people had altercations with them? Are there signs posted in the parks and wildlife areas? Do mountain lion attacks pop up in the news (more than once a decade)?

Because if the answer to that question is yes, then you do in fact need to worry about it. I would go out prepared. I wouldn't loose sleep over it, I wouldn't be peeking around every bush or wondering if one is behind each tree -- but I'd give it thought and develop a plan.

If the answer to the question is no, though, then I would just go to the mud and forget it.

A question to ask about the single freaky attack that may happen here and there is to ask if the human was at fault. Bears, for instance, love to paw through human garbage and eat our food. So, duh, we shouldn't leave food out where there are bears. Also, I once saw footage of stupid humans actually getting out of their cars to film the cute little baby bears only fifty feet away.

Mama Bear, however, was present, and not as cute.

Nessie

quikmoose

Postby quikmoose » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:26 am

Dear Jump Off Joe and Fans of Big Critters Being Mean and Nasty:

Mountain lions do attack humans, and are capable of killing them. But it is very rare, with attacks in different places every few years or so. Forget wolves and bears (unless you are in grizzly country, which is fairly limited to a few parks in the Rockies, British Columbia, and Alaska).

I'd be concerned about poisonous snakes, especially if you step on one!

I'd also be concerned about domestic and feral dogs, which are more dangerous than wildlife because they live around people and are not afraid.

Of course, if you do get bitten, get to a doctor for rabies treatment. (I'm told the series of rabies shots are not as bad as they were in the past.)

And yes, you should not go chasing any skunks. Not a good idea.

-- Quikmoose the Biologist...

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:18 am

Jumpoff_Joe wrote:Hi: where I'm at, people do see or hear mountain lions occasionally, but I have not heard of any attacks on people. The only snake that is bad here is the Western Diamondback, and they have specific habitats that they like. There are definitely bear in this area, but they leave people alone (but not their garbage cans). So, I guess, I would have only to worry about the big cats. And, it seems, I need a plan to deal with them. What sort of plan should that be? Make noise? Throw stuff? Unfortunately, firecrackers are illegal here...

Pocket air horn, dynamite, whistle, large caliber pistol, Molitoff cocktail, large dog, or a tuba.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:25 am

Never really thought about getting a guide holster for something like 4-inch Smith in .44 for exploring :D

wysvp
Producer

Postby wysvp » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Having shot outdoors a lot at various locations, I (and my models) have encountered:

- snakes;
- large spiders (which really freaks out the models!!);
- lot and lots of insects, the worst of which are mosquitoes and biting flies;
- frogs, lots of frogs;
- and deer, which is the largest animal we have seen (although we keep hoping for moose); one deer came very close to us once;
- Leila and I ran into a herd of elk once - very spectacular - but not while sinking.

And there are the two-legged animals, as well - including one persistent bird watcher many years back, that Leila, Elana and I still chat about!! :)

Given that I travel in groups, we probably scare a lot of the wildlife away, unlike a solo sinker/explorer.

Mike
Mike
Damsels in Distress Visual Productions
http://www.didvp.com
photo@didvp.com

bart1997

Postby bart1997 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Last edited by bart1997 on Fri May 08, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:18 am

Moose can be a problem, especially if you come between a cow and her calf. Feral hogs aren't pleasant to come upon either.

Cottonmouths (i.e., water moccasins) are venomous snakes that can be found near water, especially swampy areas.

Biting insects and their relatives can be a pain to include mosquitoes, biting gnats, and deer flies buzzing around the area. There are a variety of water bugs that swim near the surface of water or bury themselves in the mud that can potentially deliver a painful bite. Bees and wasps nesting nearby certainly aren't fun, and red imported fire ants (if you have them in your parts) are especially not fun if you step on their mounds. And, picking up ticks and chiggers enroute to your favorite sinking site could make life unpleasant.

Don't forget about poisonous flora such as poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac.

Usually wild animals will leave humans alone unless they've become accustomed to being around people or if their rabid. And, if you get bite by a wild animal, seek medical attention immediately.

MadMax359

Postby MadMax359 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:43 am

and teeny tiny deer ticks will give you Lyme disease... :twisted:
The strong do what they want, the weak do what they must

Return to “General Discussion”