Darwin Award applications- high voltage accident

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
nachtjaeger

Darwin Award applications- high voltage accident

Postby nachtjaeger » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:00 pm

To put this one in layman's terms, one of the light switches in your house quit working. You don't have a spare, so you decide to take the parts from inside a working switch elsewhere in the house and replace it. You shut off the switch, test the wires coming out, and they're dead. So now, you start taking the switch itself apart to get at the innards. Did you shut off the power going INTO the switch? No. So when you take the piece out of the switch, the contacts fall closed, and when you reach back inside. . . Oops.

https://youtu.be/yXU0jiBQfG0
Last edited by nachtjaeger on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

nachtjaeger

Re: Darwin Award applications- high voltage accident

Postby nachtjaeger » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:12 pm

This guy wasn't so lucky. WARNING: THIS VIDEO IS EXTREMELY DISTURBING. But I hope somebody watches this, and after that takes just a minute to think before they do something that could kill them instantly- or even worse, as in this case NOT kill them instantly. Death was a kindness in this case.

https://youtu.be/hfnEuRA7-vo

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:50 pm

When my data cap allows there is a website I like to visit that streams a live, full-motion video camera aimed at a rail crossing. The crossing has flashing lights, bells, and gates and there is a long freight train about three times an hour typically and sometimes from both directions at once. You don't need to watch very long before someone drives right around the gates and across the tracks, often even at night when the speeds of moving train headlights is very hard to judge.

nachtjaeger wrote:This guy wasn't so lucky. WARNING: THIS VIDEO IS EXTREMELY DISTURBING. But I hope somebody watches this, and after that takes just a minute to think before they do something that could kill them instantly- or even worse, as in this case NOT kill them instantly. Death was a kindness in this case.

Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:22 am

That Arc Flash video had seen , but it's no less of a horror show. You don't get a break with electricity. Just don't do it

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:15 am

If you want to find even more idiots who qualify for the Darwin Award, try Googling "stealing wire electrocuted"! WARNING: VERY GRAPHIC IMAGES!
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:03 pm

Pure idiocy on all counts. On higher voltage transmission lines you don't even have to physically touch the line to be electrocuted. If you're grounded and get too close it'll just arc out like a Tesla coil and zap you from a distance. :shock:
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Hefty price to pay for stupidity.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:06 am

nachtjaeger wrote:This guy wasn't so lucky. WARNING: THIS VIDEO IS EXTREMELY DISTURBING. But I hope somebody watches this, and after that takes just a minute to think before they do something that could kill them instantly- or even worse, as in this case NOT kill them instantly. Death was a kindness in this case.

I didn't watch this before commenting and should've......RIP....guy was just trying to be good at his job, made one mistake and boom. Safety rules exist for a reason, ESPECIALLY around high voltage. It should go without saying but safety really is the #1 priority. You're life isn't worth a little lost time on the floor. :(
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:09 am

"Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without mercy." -Heinlein

PM2K wrote:Hefty price to pay for stupidity.

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:16 am

Seriously, this could happen to anybody. As Mark Twain correctly observed, "Everybody is a damned fool for twenty minutes a day."

I haven't been quite the same since I watched this video. Not because of this video- but one of the thumbnails for another video showed the "face" of someone who survived an arc flash. I will never be able to un-see that. :shock: Just grafted one piece of skin from the top of the head to the mouth- nothing to save in between. :cry:

Mynock wrote:I didn't watch this before commenting and should've......RIP....guy was just trying to be good at his job, made one mistake and boom. Safety rules exist for a reason, ESPECIALLY around high voltage. It should go without saying but safety really is the #1 priority. You're life isn't worth a little lost time on the floor. :(

Return to “Off Topic”