One to share

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
reisen55

One to share

Postby reisen55 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Every so often, browsing for QS images, in this case pete boggs quicksand, brings up something interesting and worth posting here, a genuinely great comedian who is long missed. Yes, this was a result on Google images.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

Re: One to share

Postby Lomax » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:03 am

Back when I was a teenager, we were shown a film at school. We were told in advance that it was silent, and in black and white. We all scoffed, and looked forward to ninety minutes or so of idle nonsense.

Then we saw The General. To this day it's in my all-time top ten.

A few years later, I nearly fell off my chair when I learned that the first half of the film is based on a true story.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:50 am

Ah, Buster Keaton! A true original, and a genuine artisl.

Possibly one of the last films he did is called The Railrodder by the National Film Board of Canada, done back in the 1970s. In this short film, he plays this chap from England who reads a newspaper ad stating "See Canada," so he promptly jumps off a bridge into the ocean, and wades out of the surf in the Maritimes, gets on board one of those motorized carts railway workers use, and heads across Canada to the west coast, never leaving the railroad cart. This comical treasure and travelogue is done without a word of dialogue, and is genuinely funny, as Mr. Keaton weaves his silent film magic.

Saw it numerous times in school in geography class... and the film never failed to generate laughs. :D

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:38 am

I think the Railroader was a bit earlier, more like 1965. Keaton died in 66.

PM2K wrote:Ah, Buster Keaton! A true original, and a genuine artisl.

Possibly one of the last films he did is called The Railrodder by the National Film Board of Canada, done back in the 1970s. In this short film, he plays this chap from England who reads a newspaper ad stating "See Canada," so he promptly jumps off a bridge into the ocean, and wades out of the surf in the Maritimes, gets on board one of those motorized carts railway workers use, and heads across Canada to the west coast, never leaving the railroad cart. This comical treasure and travelogue is done without a word of dialogue, and is genuinely funny, as Mr. Keaton weaves his silent film magic.

Saw it numerous times in school in geography class... and the film never failed to generate laughs. :D
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

bbjohn

Postby bbjohn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:25 am

I think the last film Keaton did was "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum," which was released in 1967. He played the character of Erronius, who was described in the opening scene as, "a befuddled old man, abroad now in search of his children, stolen in infancy by pirates."

Keaton had a remarkable comeback in the 1950s that started when his old movies were shown on television. Television helped revive the careers of other great comedians, like the Marx Brothers and the Three Stooges.

I recall Keaton did an episode of "The Twilight Zone" where he actually spoke. He had a hilarious but brief role in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World."

I don't think we have any comedians today who can compare with Keaton. We are the poorer for it.

Big Bad John

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:54 am

Fred588 wrote:I think the Railroader was a bit earlier, more like 1965. Keaton died in 66.

Ah! I do believe you are right! Maybe that was the first time I seen it was in the 70s... :)

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:34 am

It was done in 1965. Here it is! Enjoy!

http://www.nfb.ca/film/railrodder

8-)
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:52 am

Boggy Man wrote:
It was done in 1965. Here it is! Enjoy!

8-)

Thank you, Boggy Man! I totally loved it.

It looks like that's what the photo is from. He is wearing that little hat and having tea while railrodding. Some of the scenery in this is fantastic. And he is mighty funny.

Nessie

reisen55

Postby reisen55 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:24 pm

I am a major fan of silent comedy, belonged once to the SONS OF THE DESERT, the official Laurel and Hardy organization. Buster filmed RAILRODDER in 1965 and more interesting is the documentary filmed about the making of the film, BUSTER KEATON RIDES AGAIN. A wonderful look into this gifted man. I have a number of his short and some sound films as well on my computer. Particularly memorable always is the brief scene he shot with Chaplin in LIMELIGHT.

Yes, you can tell I like Laurel and Hardy from my profile picture, that wonderful film dedicated to the team.

Return to “Off Topic”