RIP Roger Ebert

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
BSink42

RIP Roger Ebert

Postby BSink42 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:57 pm

PM2K
Always Remembered

Re: RIP Roger Ebert

Postby PM2K » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:44 am

A real loss... :(

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:41 pm

He won his Pulitzer as a movie reviewer but to me his crowning achievement will always be his writing of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. It was directed by that genius, Russ Meyer and starred Cynthia Myers (Miss December '68, PMOY '68). A piece of cinema after my own heart.

http://youtu.be/TH6bgJEEr34

The man loved Hollywood and the movies. I read his reviews faithfully. See you at the movies Roger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

mudmanic2012

Postby mudmanic2012 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:20 pm

PM2K wrote:A real loss... :(
He will be missed.

jack c

Postby jack c » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:24 am

On his show with Siskel, he seemed pompous at times. But I took the time on imdb to read dozens of his reviews, and I found him to be very insightful and truly a movie lover. His observations were those of a regular movie goer. He was not afraid, for instance, to say "The Happening" was a good horror film - I agreed - even though he stated that it would be panned by most critics and be a flop, which it was. His favorite movie line, from "Dr. Stangelove", which I just saw last week, was the President (Peter Sellers) saying, "you can't fight in here - this is the War Room!" I will miss his observations. Rest in peace.

Oh, and he also liked "Blazing Saddles," despite all the political incorrectness. It was a spoof of racism, and a good one at that. He recognized that (Richard Prior and Mel Brooks writing - incomparable).

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:55 am

One of the few (?only?) critics who's opinions I ever gave a crap about. RIP
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

bbjohn

Postby bbjohn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:38 am

The key to his success was this: he knew a lot about movies, but he also saw them from the perspective of an average fan.

My favorite Ebert line was in his review of "A Place for Lovers" (1969): "The most god-awful piece of pseudo-romantic slop I've ever seen!"

We'll miss you, Roger.

Big Bad John

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:58 am

jack c wrote:On his show with Siskel, he seemed pompous at times ...

Yeah but I listened to him tell of meeting John Wayne when going to interview him for the first time. It was Alabama where Wayne was shooting The Green Berets and he was standing in a hangar watching the star walk across the airfield in uniform with a rifle, grenades, military paraphernalia of all manner. He had been watching John Wayne all his life and he just kept getting bigger and bigger as he got closer. Wayne approached and stuck out a big hand to shake Ebert's and introduced himself. "Hi I'm John Wayne."

Ebert, completely blown away, could only respond "I know."

He was not above being awed by the legends of Hollywood. :lol:
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Return to “Off Topic”