I am Charlie

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Mynock

Re: I am Charlie

Postby Mynock » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:38 pm

Senators from Commiefornia propose crap like that all the time. Luckily the rest of the Legislature remembers that there's this thing called the Constitution that says they can't do that. :D
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

bfc796

Postby bfc796 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:52 pm

http://time.com/3676027/pope-francis-ma ... ilippines/

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/27/asia/ ... es-resort/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... pope-visit

I don't know anything about the Philippines, so I cannot comment; other than to say that it does seem as though 'unsightly people' were deliberately removed from view (the Daily Mail article was a bit sensationalist, true or not, and I regret linking that). The only judgement I am making here is that the Pope - his Holiness, the Infallible One - is just some old guy in a silly hat.

Forgive me for doubting that he possesses a special hot-line to God in the Vat' Cave. Six million people showed up to watch him roll past in his bullet-proof Pope-mobile? Mass Madness.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Gentlemen... Be Excellent to each other" ~ Rufus / George Carlin

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:39 pm

bfc796 wrote:.

I don't know anything about the Philippines, so I cannot comment; other than to say that it does seem as though 'unsightly people' were deliberately removed from view (the Daily Mail article was a bit sensationalist, true or not, and I regret linking that). The only judgement I am making here is that the Pope - his Holiness, the Infallible One - is just some old guy in a silly hat.

Forgive me for doubting that he possesses a special hot-line to God in the Vat' Cave. Six million people showed up to watch him roll past in his bullet-proof Pope-mobile? Mass Madness.

Friend, you tend to take too many silly internet things too seriously. I'm not Catholic but I don't doubt the Pope's personal faith. That doesn't make him bulletproof or remove all the crazy people from the world. I doubt he'd jump out of plane without a parachute either. Regardless, after what happened to John Paul II I doubt the Papal security forces are going to take any chances no matter how the Pope feels.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

DangerGirl

Postby DangerGirl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:43 pm

You need to update your meme a bit. Francis rides in open-top or open-sided vehicles. But even popes recognize that God doesn't stop bullets. Come on, man.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:Friend, you tend to take too many silly internet things too seriously...

And I don't mean to imply that you have a monopoly on that either. It's become all too common today.

DangerGirl

Postby DangerGirl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:15 pm

If I might suggest a handy rule of thumb for conversation and life in general, if you have to preface what you're going to say with " I don't claim to know what happened" or "I don't know anything about...," it's probably best to just remain silent and keep your fingers off the keyboard.

bfc796

Postby bfc796 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:57 pm

You're right - I stand corrected about the new look Pope-mobile. And the current guy seems to be an improvement on Ratzinger and John Paul II (who personally awarded record-breaking child rapist and confirmed necrophiliac Jimmy Savile a rare Papal Knighthood, if you please). He's still just some guy, though - that's my point.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:10 pm

bfc796 wrote:.

You're right - I stand corrected about the new look Pope-mobile. And the current guy seems to be an improvement on Ratzinger and John Paul II (who personally awarded record-breaking child rapist and confirmed necrophiliac Jimmy Savile a rare Papal Knighthood, if you please). He's still just some guy, though - that's my point.

Well the knighthood was for his charity work not for being a freaking pervert. Once again you sort of taking things out of context.

For now let's just all agree that we all know where each other stands on certain issues and maybe it is best to leave it alone. Here we can all be grateful that one of us won't show up and shoot the other or blow up their house.

bfc796

Postby bfc796 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:21 pm

I could go into extraordinary detail about Savile and his connections to the highest echelons of the British Establishment (which made him "untouchable"), but... *draws discreet veil*

This thread should probably be locked now anyway, since it has drifted quite far from the OP topic (for which I recognise that I am almost entirely responsible).

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:00 am

bfc796 wrote:“Unfortunately, you’ve grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that’s at the root of all our problems. They’ll warn that tyranny is always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices.” ~ Barrack H. Obama, 06/05/13, Ohio State University

Ever want to have sex with a woman instead of your hand?

This is one time to listen to Obama, because you'll never get laid if you're twisted up about this shit.

Think about it. And when you become an old man filled with regret waiting to die alone, who will have won? The government? Or the conspiracy theorists?

Seriously, I'm just trying to help. Go out and get some fresh (toxic and who the fuck cares) air.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Return to “Off Topic”