Collision at Sea

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Duncan Edwards

Re: Collision at Sea

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:42 am

Billie Bonce wrote:
kham wrote:2007 USS Gonzales Think it was something July 4th related, judging by the giant ensign, and the steel beach on the carrier background noise :) Ah, what you can do with 100,000 shp on a destroyer hull....
In my childhood I had a book "On the trail of sea disasters" by Lev Skryagin, and one chapter of the book was devoted to the history of the Blue Riband. I was amazed (well, I'd say, I was shocked) by speeds that those huge trans-Atlantic liners could reach. More than 300 meters long, 50000 or even 70000 tons displacement, and more than 30 knots speed! SS United States had maximum speed of 38 knots!

Yes, it was financed in part by the US government with the idea that it might someday be needed as a troop transport in event of war. Very popular liner until it was removed from service n 1969. I used to drive past it at the Philadelphia ship yard during business trips. Designed to be completely fireproof it has been difficult to do anything with due to the enormous cost of removing all the asbestos from the interior. It appears now to be headed to the scrap yard for certain.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Return to “Off Topic”