Gamers Unite!

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
merloch

Re: Gamers Unite!

Postby merloch » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:20 pm

metro 2033 is great I love it

tempman

Postby tempman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:13 pm

AyaneMatrix wrote:
Mynock wrote:Anybody out there have a computer good enough to play Metro 2033? Looks pretty sweet but I don't think my rig can handle it without at least a video card upgrade. :(

Don't feel too badly about that game man. If you read up on the minimum requirements for it, the devs make it sound as if you need a rig that's powerful enough to run Crysis at max settings; and, the optimum settings are the latest and greatest Intel processor and 8 gigs of ram. WTF were they thinking? It even sounds unoptimized with what they want and it doesn't look much better than Bioshock 1 or 2. :roll:

It looks absolutely superb! I've played the Xbox version and I own the PC one. On maximum settings walks all over Bioshock let me assure you! It's all down to the textures and incredible post-processing. Even looks better than Crysis (though artistically it's easier to make confined spaces look good).

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:23 pm

So graphically it doesn't look any better then Bio Shock? My computer runs that in DX9 mode without a problem. Maybe I'll take a chance and see if it works. The only min requirements I'm not meeting at the moment are the processor (Requires a Core 2 Duo I've got a Pentium D) and the vid card (8800 series min I have a 7950 GX2).
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:36 pm

L4D2 got an update last night. New level "The Passing" along with some new toys, a golf club for the Melee fans and, for those of us who believe that there's no kill like overkill, a belt-fed M60 machine gun. 8-)
--Sun Tzu

spunkee311

Postby spunkee311 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:39 am

Mynock wrote:L4D2 got an update last night. New level "The Passing" along with some new toys, a golf club for the Melee fans and, for those of us who believe that there's no kill like overkill, a belt-fed M60 machine gun. 8-)

Yeah I purchased the passing. Love L4D2. And they finally re-introduced the original characters from the first game. Although was very dissappointed that my favorite character died.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:02 am

You had to buy it? Like seperately? Steam just updated my copy and added to the list of playable maps.
--Sun Tzu

merloch

Postby merloch » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:56 am

I also just restarted playing eve online much better mmo than wow and more fun nothing is more fun than flying badass ships with tons of weapons on them

quagmire_uk

Postby quagmire_uk » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:08 pm

Mynock wrote:You had to buy it? Like seperately? Steam just updated my copy and added to the list of playable maps.

That's the advantage of being a PC gamer. On Xbox 360 it was paid-for DLC. It's extremely rare to get any additional maps for an xbox game for free. Does happen, but it's rare.

I had hoped the new Modern Warfare 2 stimulus package might be free on PC (all the Modern Warfare 1 mappacks were paid-for DLC on xbox but updated on PC) but nope, the fact that PC gamers were willing to 25% more than an average PC game price for an xbox port with no server browsers means that they know the xbox business model can work on PC too so they are charging for the new maps. Bah.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:45 pm

quagmire_uk wrote:
Mynock wrote:You had to buy it? Like seperately? Steam just updated my copy and added to the list of playable maps.

That's the advantage of being a PC gamer. On Xbox 360 it was paid-for DLC. It's extremely rare to get any additional maps for an xbox game for free.

Wow. That's a big ol' pile of bullshit right there. Yet another reason not to waste my money on consoles.
--Sun Tzu

spunkee311

Postby spunkee311 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:52 am

Paying for DLC on consoles are of the norm now. I was shocked back in 2006, but now usually every game released for the consoles comes with some sort of DLC add-ons. The key is to just pick and choose. L4D2 - The passing wasn't too bad. It was 540 points. Which is like $6 or $7. Which isn't too bad. I don't mind supporting something with my money when its worthwhile. and New Achievments, gamemodes, campaigns, etc.. seemed like a good deal. Now would I pay for Horse armor for Oblivion? Hell no. I wouldn't even be caught playing Oblivion lol.

As for PC. Enjoy it while it last. Because the times are changing. I have friends that work for EA and they will be charging for DLC on PC. And since EA and Activision (along with Blizzard and few others) are the heavy hitters in the industry, the rest will follow.
I'm not too big of a PC fan, but I was shocked that Blizzard still charges roughly $15 for World of Warcraft. Its a 6 year old game lol. MMO or not, that should be free or $5. That's just straight up getting away with murder.

Return to “Off Topic”