Gamers Unite!

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
AyaneMatrix

Re: Gamers Unite!

Postby AyaneMatrix » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:58 am

spunkee311 wrote:MAG looks promising. I can't believe the amount of people that will be in the game. Definitely unique. And I thought Warhawk had a lot of people back 3 years ago.
I also can't wait for God of War 3.

I had the same thought when I first started playing the beta; but, now I'm thinking it's more like an MMO, only the maps are instanced. :roll: The other thing is that you really NEED to talk to your teammates, but for such a game requiring communication to win, hardly anyone has a mic. It's even worse when those players are squad and platoon leaders as it feels nothing gets done unless you're luck. :?

Kookus

Postby Kookus » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Mynock wrote:Wait....they were in RAID 0 right? Arent' they just asking for a hardware failure? You lose one drive you're SOL.

I was thinking that myself, but they were running a speed test... raid5/6 would only slow things down.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

spunkee311

Postby spunkee311 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:48 pm

AyaneMatrix wrote:
spunkee311 wrote:MAG looks promising. I can't believe the amount of people that will be in the game. Definitely unique. And I thought Warhawk had a lot of people back 3 years ago.
I also can't wait for God of War 3.

I had the same thought when I first started playing the beta; but, now I'm thinking it's more like an MMO, only the maps are instanced. :roll: The other thing is that you really NEED to talk to your teammates, but for such a game requiring communication to win, hardly anyone has a mic. It's even worse when those players are squad and platoon leaders as it feels nothing gets done unless you're luck. :?

Yeah I hear ya. I've played Resistance 2, Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Warhawk, Resistance, GTA 4, MGS 4 and very few people have a mic. I guess since its not included with the actual system a lot of people don't really bother getting one. I use my Motorola. I can't stand playing on online game and not having a mic. Just doesn't feel right. But since the PS3 Base is growing, I have seen an improvement with the communication and the number of people that have mics. So its not as bad as it was in 2006 lol.
I'll be checking on MAG though. IDK yet if its worth my purchse. I really don't need another Warhawk, but it does look promising. I hear good things so far. And dedicated Servers are the best part. Cuts down on lag a bit.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:08 am

Kookus wrote:
Mynock wrote:Wait....they were in RAID 0 right? Arent' they just asking for a hardware failure? You lose one drive you're SOL.

I was thinking that myself, but they were running a speed test... raid5/6 would only slow things down.

It definitly works, but personally I wouldn't save anything I couldn't afford to lose to that sucker.
Think I'm going to wait a while till those SSD's come down in price though. $385 for 160Gb is just too much now matter how fast it is (think the one I was looking at was a Patriot Torque or something like that).
Just out of curiosity, what's your opinion on Tri-Sli? Worth it yet? I've got a nice rig Wish-Listed on Newegg for around $2000 but I'm wondering if maybe I should go with two more powerful cards instead of 3 smaller ones. Right now It'll be running (3) GTX 260's.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:06 am

Mostly PC -RTS like Railroad Tycoon 1, 2, & 3 and RPGs like Diablo II. Picked up a copy of Galactic Civilizations 2: Dread Lords a while back but got bored really quickly.

We do have a Wii and a GameCube. Was playing Guitar Hero with the kidling last night- I play bass with her band, The Dead Parrots, and do lead guitar and vocals for my own band, Wargod. We never did finish X-Men for GameCube. I picked up a used copy of Soul Calibur: Legends for Wii just to see how bad it is- the reviews were terrible. Wish I knew somebody who develops games for the Wii- a good hack-and-slash sword game would be perfect for the Wii- just nobody has done it yet.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Kookus

Postby Kookus » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:35 am

Mynock wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's your opinion on Tri-Sli? Worth it yet?

It's all a gimmick aimed at bleeding early-adopters dry. I'm still running a single 9600. I know it will start to show its age when the next gen stuff comes down the pipe, but, for right now, it can slam anything on the shelf without breaking a sweat. No point in moving on to double or triple configurations unless you're actually seeing a bottleneck, IMO.

nachtjaeger wrote:Picked up a copy of Galactic Civilizations 2: Dread Lords a while back but got bored really quickly.

I had no end of fun with GalCiv2. If the turn-based gameplay is what bored you, try Sins of a Solar Empire; much more RTS-friendly.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

AyaneMatrix

Postby AyaneMatrix » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:07 am

Kookus wrote:
Mynock wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's your opinion on Tri-Sli? Worth it yet?

It's all a gimmick aimed at bleeding early-adopters dry. I'm still running a single 9600. I know it will start to show its age when the next gen stuff comes down the pipe, but, for right now, it can slam anything on the shelf without breaking a sweat. No point in moving on to double or triple configurations unless you're actually seeing a bottleneck, IMO.

The sad thing about going in either SLI or Tri-SLI modes is that even many modern games don't take advantage of the additional processing power. Sure, if you're using Photoshop or a video editing program, it'll blaze on by, but gaming only gets you a couple of additional frames per second. Not much more unless you're running something like Crisis, where it's already killing the CPU/GPU and it'll just take all the additional power it can get. :geek:

Sadly, I think this is why I gave up on keeping my rig updated all the time and moved the vast majority of my gaming to consoles. They may change every couple of years, but I'm not forced to upgrade everything until support is dropped every time there's a new game on the market. ;)

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:29 am

AyaneMatrix wrote:The sad thing about going in either SLI or Tri-SLI modes is that even many modern games don't take advantage of the additional processing power. Sure, if you're using Photoshop or a video editing program, it'll blaze on by, but gaming only gets you a couple of additional frames per second. Not much more unless you're running something like Crisis...

I'm glad I only borrowed that game off of one of my friends and tried playing it first, it slaughtered my PC. Too bad, the first two levels were pretty good even at the pathetic framerates I was getting.
Thanks Kookus & AyaneMatrix for the info. Cutting back to one video card means I can spend some more cash elseware and probably get a nicer machine out of the deal. Maybe I'll waste some on a SSD after all.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:40 am

Probably burnout from many, many evenings playing Civ 2. 3 & 4. Yeah, I have Sins of a Solar Empire. Awesome graphics, cool fleet battles, but the races are a bit too similar and you can't customize the ships.

Kookus wrote:
nachtjaeger wrote:Picked up a copy of Galactic Civilizations 2: Dread Lords a while back but got bored really quickly.

I had no end of fun with GalCiv2. If the turn-based gameplay is what bored you, try Sins of a Solar Empire; much more RTS-friendly.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

spunkee311

Postby spunkee311 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:22 am

Just played the demo for Left 4 Dead 2. Its amazazing!

Return to “Off Topic”