Dragging Anchor in Yokosuka

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
kham
Always Remembered

Dragging Anchor in Yokosuka

Postby kham » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:33 pm

This, is live from twit, so not confirmed yet, any of the normal sources I use. But the poster is connected pretty good.

This, is watchkeeping 101; if you drag anchor, use engines as needed, call the captain; re-anchor. The explanation for this should be fascinating. Most tend to be the JO wanting to let the old man sleep, therby ending his carreer for 15 minutes extra rest....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kham
Always Remembered

Re: Dragging Anchor in Yokosuka

Postby kham » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:47 pm

From Navy Times

The forward-deployed cruiser Antietam ran aground Tuesday off the coast of Japan near its home port of Yokosuka, according to two Navy officials familiar with the incident.

The ship grounded after anchoring out in high winds, officials said. When the crew noticed the ship was dragging its anchor, Antietam got back underway. Shortly after, the crew felt the ship shudder and lose all pitch control in both propellers. The grounding caused the ship to dump about 1,100 gallons of oil into the water.

The Navy notified Japanese government of the oil spill and is taking steps to clean up, officials said.

The ship was towed back into port after the grounding, officials said. The ship is commanded by Capt. Joseph Carrigan, according to the ship's website.

If I hadn't need coffee, I should have noticed there was a link. Fukit :D
Even so, again, is anyone on watch?? Come on. We managed to avoid this way before they had GPS and ECDIS. Now? You really have to be trying hard to screw up.

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:00 am

Easiest way to end a Navy career is to put your ship aground. Sounds like they trashed the props for good measure- loss of pitch control + oil spill = hydraulic system damage.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:28 am

Still just the 'opening an investigation' bit so far
If you can't handle a ship with hundreds of thousands of horsepower, twin screws, and a agile hull (that's before we get into tech) you may as well just give up. Wait and see. But I wonder if the toomanypeoplestandingaround factor was it. We anchored with 2 guys driving in the wheelhouse, and 2 letting go. But you know the navy, and the Navy Way

Return to “Off Topic”