New Bike--KLR 650

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Mynock

New Bike--KLR 650

Postby Mynock » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:39 am

Sold the Harley over the winter, guy I work with made me a crazy high offer I couldn't turn down. Friend of mine has a KLR that he's ridden to, like, Mordor and back again, told me I should try it out. Loved it and instantly wanted one of my own. Being the outdoorsy go-camping/fishing/hunting type I don't know why I didn't look at duel sports to begin with. Will be fun to get this out in the woods and even more fun because no trailer required!

P_20170224_182707.jpg

P_20170224_182653.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

kham
Always Remembered

Re: New Bike--KLR 650

Postby kham » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:53 am

Very cool :D

Mr Mudster

Postby Mr Mudster » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:56 pm

I rode one of these for many years, in both Colorado and Texas. Ride it conservatively and you'll get 50 MPG! And having the adjustable monoshock makes it perfect for taking the highway to the off-roading spot, then switching to some aggressive suspension for the paths!

The only downside is that the bike is so damned heavy! It's not good at all if the terrain has a lot of sand. Oh, and on the older ones you needed to replace the "doohickey" or risk catastrophe on the trails! http://www.klr650.marknet.us/doohickey.html

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:45 pm

Yea the weight's a compromise. The air cooled versions Suzuki and Honda make are lighter and better offroad but they don't like long highway trips. If I was just looking for an "around town" bike I'd have gone with a DR 650 for sure but I want something that I can take trips on and commute with.
Heard ALL about the Doohickey lol.......there's guys who say you have to do it and there's guys who've ridden from Alaska to Argentina without it......it can't hurt. Probably will do it when the warranty expires. One thing I do plan on taking care of right away is the "Thermobob" mod because I do a lot of cool/cold.weather riding.
--Sun Tzu

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:03 am

Finally got a break in the weather so I could take delivery today. Took it out for an hour but had to come back on account of the hypthothermia. Sucks that it's going to snow tomorrow again.
20170317_171745[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--Sun Tzu

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:39 am

A few weeks and might start to resemble a thaw :)

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:03 am

I got some work to do anyway. Bought a set of crash bars that need installing and need to run a bypass on some really stupid 'safety' shit. The engine cuts out if you flip the kickstand down and you have to be in neutral to start.......safety my ass. I stalled it pulling out and ended up in the middle of an intersection with a dead bike trying to get it into neutral so the engine would fire again. If somebody was coming the other way would've just had to hope they had good brakes. :shock:
--Sun Tzu

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Took a short ride this morning to go get hypthermia I mean coffee. Cold weather riding is way more comfortable on this. Fairing and handguards really keep the wind off.
20170401_102124A.jpg
--Sun Tzu

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:57 pm

:lol:

Immediately thought of the Mad Hungarian in the Gumball Rally....

As long as you don't end up THAT bad :mrgreen:

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:27 am

This is an awesome cold weather bike. You need full choke to get it started but once it's warm it runs fine and the fairing and the hand guards really cut the wind. On the Harley at 40F I'd have been miserable, on this it was just mildly uncomfortable.
--Sun Tzu

Return to “Off Topic”