Battle of Britain Day

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
kham
Always Remembered

Battle of Britain Day

Postby kham » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:33 am

Herzeleid

Re: Battle of Britain Day

Postby Herzeleid » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:08 am

What an awesome video . . .very evocative. I wonder how many people in the UK now know the significance of September 15th?
If it wasn't for the sacrifices made then we wouldn't be enjoying our way of life now. thanks for posting this.
"Gott weiss ich will kein engel sein" ( God knows I don't want to be an angel )
_ Rammstein, "Engel"

julie

Postby julie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:46 pm

THANKS!!!!!! I love old planes and stuff like that.
Ok where do guys put all that food they eat?

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:13 am

I'd say a fair number still do. The BoB Memorial Flight does good stuff every year, and a few others. There was just a documentary on from last year by Ewan and Colin McGregor on the Battle with Colin doing the basic training for flying a Spitfire (easier than most, since he is a former Tornado GR.4 driver). They have since done a second one for Bomber Command, and the Lancaster.

Now, the oppo ;)
Should be noted that this is a real G-4, using the DB605 engine. Most Emil's used in the BoB movie were modified Spanish HA-1112s - and powered by Merlins no less :P

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:33 am

kham wrote: Now, the oppo ;)
Should be noted that this is a real G-4, using the DB605 engine. Most Emil's used in the BoB movie were modified Spanish HA-1112s - and powered by Merlins no less :P

Which you could tell by looking at the nose and intakes... ;)

Thanks for the vids... that Me-109 really was something.... reminded me of back in 1990 in my home town in N. Ontario. I'm used to all sorts of aircraft flying overhead... Jet rangers, A-Stars (Aerospeciale helicopters, that is), DeHaviland Beavers and Otters, the turbo versions of both, Twin Otters, you name it... but this one sound made me look up... Imagine my surprise when I saw a Me-109 all dressed up in BoB colors... yellow boss, rudder and wingtips, that classic two tone grey, black crosses, the whole deal. And that engine sound... sweet! I nearly cried when I found out the pilot had refueled at the airport - he was on his way out west to an airshow - and I missed my chance to get up close and personal with a history maker...

But I did get that great look at it... all thanks to that marvelous engine! :D

DangerGirl

Postby DangerGirl » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:36 am

This is a sight I never quite get used to. Despite the fact that they're Czech-built postwar models with He-111 engines and props (which really made the plane a piece of crap), I can still appreciate the poetic justice of painting the Star of David on those distinctive airframes.

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:05 pm

if that looks weird, imagine how this Spit felt. Must made for some interesting moments trying to ID opponents. Different, not wearing the normal tactical colours, but that black does look badass :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DangerGirl

Postby DangerGirl » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:27 pm

Yeah, Kham, given that the Egyptians were also flying Spitfires, that had to be a bit confusing.

A little off-topic from the subject of British aircraft, I always found the 1969 Soccer War fascinating, where Honduran Corsairs were flying against El Salvadoran Corsairs and Mustangs. Given the number of non-standard paint schemes on both sides, that must have been a target identification nightmare.

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:49 pm

That's a matchup not seen much outside of several online flight combat sims :)

I'll put my money on the Corsair if the drivers are more or less even :mrgreen:

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:59 am

DangerGirl wrote:Yeah, Kham, given that the Egyptians were also flying Spitfires, that had to be a bit confusing.

A little off-topic from the subject of British aircraft, I always found the 1969 Soccer War fascinating, where Honduran Corsairs were flying against El Salvadoran Corsairs and Mustangs. Given the number of non-standard paint schemes on both sides, that must have been a target identification nightmare.

In Honduras today there are many things named after Colonel Soto, the Honduras hero of the "Soccer War". He was the last man to use a WWII vintage aircraft (Corsair purchased in Miami and repaired with beer cans) to shoot down another WWII vintage aircraft. The Fuerza Aerena Hondurena remains the most politically powerful wing of the Honduran military. Honduras also boasts the most capable air force in Central America. If you ever get the chance to visit there is a neat little museum across from the terminal in Tegucigalpa. That particular Corsair is supposed to still be flying somewhere in the world today.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Return to “Off Topic”