So who had the better voice?

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
cnelson566

So who had the better voice?

Postby cnelson566 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:44 am

Between Steve Perry and Freddie Mercury? Now i realize that the without thinking answer is Freddie,as everyone loves queen. I myself even thought that...at first. Then i heard them both singing songs that really worked the vocal range...and to be honest...i would actually lean towards Perrys voice. I realize that Queens songs are deeper,that most of Journeys songs were lovesongs,but still,give the devil his due...that being said,they were both otherworldly singers in great bands

Duncan Edwards

Re: So who had the better voice?

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:45 am

cnelson566 wrote:Between Steve Perry and Freddie Mercury? Now i realize that the without thinking answer is Freddie...

DUH! YEAH! You even have to ask? The range of Freddie's tenor backed with the exuberance of an H-Bomb was in a class by itself. QUEEN was in a class by itself. I can't find any comparison at any level.

Sorry...some of us miss the '70's pretty bad.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:02 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:
cnelson566 wrote:Between Steve Perry and Freddie Mercury? Now i realize that the without thinking answer is Freddie...

DUH! YEAH! You even have to ask? The range of Freddie's tenor backed with the exuberance of an H-Bomb was in a class by itself. QUEEN was in a class by itself. I can't find any comparison at any level.

Sorry...some of us miss the '70's pretty bad.

Freddie Mercury... no question! :D Man, that man had pipes! And, I'm with you, Duncan... music wise, the 70s (if one can forget the worse excesses of disco) can never really be matched. :)

BSink42

Postby BSink42 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:02 am

As somebody who was an 80's kid (and thus heard her fair share of Journey and other 80's artists), hands down it's Freddie Mercury. There have been artists similar to Steve Perry's voice and style (copycat was the name of the game in the 80s/90s), but there will never EVER be another voice like Freddie Mercury's.

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:08 am

Although I respect what Freddie Mercury and Queen achieved, I'll give a nod to Steve Perry and Journey.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:18 pm

water_bug_62208 wrote:Although I respect what Freddie Mercury and Queen achieved, I'll give a nod to Steve Perry and Journey.

With all due respect, watch a Queen concert DVD. I don't know what it's called, but especially the one with the beer glasses on the piano.

Queen's albums did not demonstrate the depth and range of Freddie Mercury's voice. Not at all.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:20 pm

They're both good but I like Freddie a bit better. It could be at least partly the songs, though. Some of songs by Queen were very original and they gave Freddie a good opportunity to demonstrate his considerable vocal range.

Nessie

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:50 am

dlodoski wrote:
water_bug_62208 wrote:Although I respect what Freddie Mercury and Queen achieved, I'll give a nod to Steve Perry and Journey.

With all due respect, watch a Queen concert DVD. I don't know what it's called, but especially the one with the beer glasses on the piano.

Queen's albums did not demonstrate the depth and range of Freddie Mercury's voice. Not at all.

I think this might be a scene from the concert at Wembley you have in mind -

http://youtu.be/VNeNRG3FpCg

And there are a host of such examples. I've still got all of Queen's albums.

I've seen Journey live and I've seen Queen live. Journey was a good show with a fun date. Queen was outdoors at the speedway in a Tennessee summer and it was hotter than hell but I'll never forget that one. That was when I learned who Freddie Mercury was.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:37 am

I knew this was out there somewhere - Freddie and the Fat La...Diva - http://youtu.be/qbUo0wdEd4k

Return to “Off Topic”