Aerial Refueling Clips

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
kham
Always Remembered

Aerial Refueling Clips

Postby kham » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:04 pm

These may be not brand new, but hadn't seen any except for the last one before

C-17 making several approaches and hookups

F-15E Flashy Breakaway damn pilots.. :D

Near mid-air collision between NATO E-3 and USAF KC-135 :shock: Think some underwear needed cleaning here

And finally, some training stuff for the B-52 fans :)
B-52 training mission

Mynock

Re: Aerial Refueling Clips

Postby Mynock » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:53 am

One thing I always wondered--is there some sort of suction that keeps the nozzel in place when the refueling is going on or are they just that freaking good that they make contact and hold it in place?
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

schlamm

Postby schlamm » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:04 am

/
Last edited by schlamm on Sun May 12, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DangerGirl

Postby DangerGirl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:08 am

Mynock wrote:One thing I always wondered--is there some sort of suction that keeps the nozzel in place when the refueling is going on or are they just that freaking good that they make contact and hold it in place?

There's a spring-loaded catch inside the refueling drogue or receptacle. The catch holds the probe in well enough to keep the seal. I can't remember how many pounds of force it takes to disengage the catch, but it's not all that much; just a matter of slowing down slightly for probe and drogue aircraft, and withdrawing the probe for flying boom tankers. Positive force in maintained on the probe to ensure it stays in the receptacle or drogue.

Acidtester

Postby Acidtester » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:14 am

When I was 12 I got to ride in one of the 3 rear seats in a kc-10, I think, as it refueled an f-16.
It was really awesome to watch.
If the system had one neck,
You know I'd gladly break it.

DangerGirl

Postby DangerGirl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:40 am

Acidtester wrote:When I was 12 I got to ride in one of the 3 rear seats in a kc-10, I think, as it refueled an f-16.

Yeah, if you were sitting in seats, it was a KC-10. In the KC-135, you're lying on your belly.

DangerGirl

Postby DangerGirl » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:34 am

H8MS wrote:
DangerGirl wrote:
Acidtester wrote:When I was 12 I got to ride in one of the 3 rear seats in a kc-10, I think, as it refueled an f-16.

Yeah, if you were sitting in seats, it was a KC-10. In the KC-135, you're lying on your belly.

I don't care, I just wish I was there...as long as I could watch the refuelling

Oh, that wasn't a judgment, just a distinction. I love lying next to the boom operator in a -135 (hmmm...I have to be careful how I say that). You're much more up-close-and-personal with the receiving aircraft than you are in the KC-10's lounge chairs.

Return to “Off Topic”