Collision at Sea

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
kham
Always Remembered

Collision at Sea

Postby kham » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Singapore Straits

I can't even get into the level of idiocy going on in this one. There's stupid, industrial grade stupid, and then there's this... :twisted: maybe weapons-grade stupid

Mynock

Re: Collision at Sea

Postby Mynock » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:42 am

Most epic game of bumper boats ever!
Talk about stupid.....hey moron with the camera, LANDSCAPE!!!! God I had people that do that....
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:30 am

Yeah, just shows you that not all cameras are totally idiot-proof. :roll:

Would not want to be investigating this disaster , never mind on either of the boats. And IMO thinks they need to wag finger at us 'inland waters' types..... gee, I donno Urkel, I never tried to kill anyone for shits and giggles.... :twisted:

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:58 am

YouTube wrote:This video is no longer available because the uploader has closed their YouTube account.

However, I found two other links that do work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtHo724skA8

Zoomed in to show it in landscape mode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSDbmEZCcvw
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Sydney

Postby Sydney » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:04 pm

Mynock wrote:Talk about stupid.....hey moron with the camera, LANDSCAPE!!!! God I had people that do that....

I suspect part of the problem is they still hold it like a phone, but the problem is the camera's "orientation" has been aligned with the screen for a few years now.

This has been complicated by the fact that the phones will try to be "helpful", and render it in a way you can still watch it on a computer without having to tilt your head over at an extreme angle.

There does come a time when there's so much effort going into making something completely brainless that those of us who put actual thought into things are constantly tripping over everyone else's desire that the world allow them to be at that level of brainless all the time.
Taking anything too seriously is as big a threat as not taking it seriously enough. - Berke Breathed,

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:57 am

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot! Plenty of blame to go around on this one.

kham wrote:Singapore Straits

I can't even get into the level of idiocy going on in this one. There's stupid, industrial grade stupid, and then there's this... :twisted: maybe weapons-grade stupid
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Billie Bonce

Postby Billie Bonce » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:45 pm

I am quite surprised to see how fast are these loooooong ships moving!
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:52 pm

You know whats really hilarious? Apparently MPA Singapore didnt post anything on this at first , since they consider it not that big a deal. Happens all the time. :shock:
Let that sink in for a min or two, girls

Billy, its hard to judge speed from a distance, and size also is deceptive, but these guys look to be going 10-15 knots or so. Not out of the norm for commercial ships of that class. Only container ships have the ponies to really wind it out in the 20k+ range. Warships, well, when you have fuel -or neutrons -to burn, speed is a different matter.

2007 USS Gonzales Think it was something July 4th related, judging by the giant ensign, and the steel beach on the carrier background noise :) Ah, what you can do with 100,000 shp on a destroyer hull....

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:59 am

Momentum's a bitch. Something that weighs thousands of tons does not stop simply because you turn the engine off lol.....even if they're only moving 15 knots the mass is such that it keeps moving at 15 knots until acted upon by a moron getting in it's way. Some of the larger oil tankers in existance take 10 MILES to come to a complete stop from full speed, even if you throw the engines on full reverse.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Billie Bonce

Postby Billie Bonce » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:48 pm

kham wrote:2007 USS Gonzales Think it was something July 4th related, judging by the giant ensign, and the steel beach on the carrier background noise :) Ah, what you can do with 100,000 shp on a destroyer hull....
In my childhood I had a book "On the trail of sea disasters" by Lev Skryagin, and one chapter of the book was devoted to the history of the Blue Riband. I was amazed (well, I'd say, I was shocked) by speeds that those huge trans-Atlantic liners could reach. More than 300 meters long, 50000 or even 70000 tons displacement, and more than 30 knots speed! SS United States had maximum speed of 38 knots!
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Return to “Off Topic”