Fullbore Friday 22/03/13

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
kham
Always Remembered

Fullbore Friday 22/03/13

Postby kham » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:44 am

From CDR Sal's place , repost from 4 years ago

Vulcan 607

If you have the time to spare , watch the 45min video, It's really good in the typically understated British way :)

Interesting note, that the designer of the Lanc also designed the Vulcan. Definitely fits the "if it looks good, it probably is" meme
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Re: Fullbore Friday 22/03/13

Postby dlodoski » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:57 am

Vulcans are way cool.

I had one of my few looking up at the sky OMG moments thanks to a Vulcan.

In the late 70's, B-52's used to pass over Lake Charlevoix in Michigan (you probably now where that is) at really low altitude, and usually with their bomb bay doors open. Apparently there was a nuke plant nearby on the shore of Lake Michigan, and these guys used to do practice bombing runs on it.

Anyhoo, one day, a Vulcan came thundering/whistling overhead. I had never seen anything like that. It was awesome. :)
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:33 am

You don't see too many heavies , or even tactical aircraft using the various MOA's for practice stuff now. I suspect the bonehead safety PC types are the driving force there.

Still, the Vulcan guys did a fine job, considering the primary mission for years before had been to put a megaton-yield bomb on Leningrad, which did not require a huge degree of accuracy :D

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:21 pm

The Vulcan was a most interesting-looking aircraft. That was a great account of the Vulcan's mission during the Falklands War! Thanks for sharing that picture and site!

I recall being at Lackland AFB TX, many years ago and watching two B-52s flying together and low overhead as they slowly rose up into the sky. They probably had completed some maintenance at nearby Kelly AFB TX, and were outbound towards their home base. They were at full flaps, their wheels were still down, and they, too, had their bomb bays wide opened as they seemed to rise in slow motion, leaving everything below shuddering under the thundering roar of their engines. That was quite a sight!
Last edited by water_bug_62208 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Argentina's been kicking their feet and screaming about "their" islands again lately. :roll: Hopefully they remember the lesson this pretty bird taught them way back when.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:30 am

Same bullshit fascist shiny distraction like last time, likely has nothing to do with their economy in the shitter and the islands surrounded by what appears to be lots of oil now... :roll:

The RN likely couldnt pull off the invasion again this time, but wouldnt need to, considering the much stronger ground forces in place, plus the detachment of RAF Tornado F.3s and Typhoons just waiting that would be like X-Wings vs Spads, considering the Argies havent changed since 82. They would be butchered before even seeing anyone.

Plus, evil cold warrior am I, I would suggest a simpler solution to the dizzy boimbo: piss off and hump someone else's leg, or let me explain this to you: You are a backward regional power; want to see what a ladder-strike of ONE D-5 SLBM can do to your quaint little capital? :twisted:

Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

Postby Lomax » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:48 am

Hey - I've been inside a Vulcan. Not a museum exhibit, but one on active service.

OK, it was parked and powered down - but still.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

schlamm

Postby schlamm » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:24 am

Last edited by schlamm on Sun May 12, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DangerGirl

Postby DangerGirl » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:52 pm

kham wrote:You don't see too many heavies , or even tactical aircraft using the various MOA's for practice stuff now. I suspect the bonehead safety PC types are the driving force there.

A lot of MOAs are still used heavily; the reason many aren't used as much anymore is that the bases associated with them have been closed or had their missions changed or reduced. Bombers primarily use military training routes (MTRs) for the bulk of their training, since most of their missions involve flying long distances. They don't use MOAs all that much, unless they're practicing run-ins on the target from multiple directions or mixing it up with fighters.

I got to see the Vulcan fly overhead when I was in England last year, and was fortunate enough to experience the howl. It's something I'll never forget. I really wish I could see a Victor fly. Such a shame the last Victor flight was accidental (and so short).

Return to “Off Topic”