Style Critiques (Now with Next Preview!)

Hand-drawn or CGI. If you started with a blank screen or sheet of paper, it's cool to post it here! Please note - this forum is for posting drawings, not links to external sites.

Should I use this style for my next project?

Yea!
84%
NAY.
16%
Other (Please comment!)
No votes

Total votes: 32

AnonymousQuote

Style Critiques (Now with Next Preview!)

Postby AnonymousQuote » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:36 am

~~~~~
UPDATE NOTE: Go further down for the new picture!
~~~~~

After hours of scrutinizing all six of the Scott Pilgrim books and making copy-pastas of countless panels to practice, I think I've come up with a reasonable facsimile of Brian Lee O'Malley's art style that is used in the books.
I wanted to get some feedback here before I went all-in on another project, which is also quicksand (or rather, fucmuk) related.
OM_RamonaTest.jpg

Sorry for the rather cruddy picture, I don't have access to a scanner at the moment.
Answer the poll or comment with your critiques -- all feedback is greatly appreciated :D

~AQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AnonymousQuote on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ace

Re: Style Critiques

Postby Ace » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:52 am

This board is subject to a lot of default positive response bias, so of course you're gonna get a lot of yes answers here, but I actually think your style is more appealing than the Scott Pilgrim art style. This coming from a SP fan himself.

AnonymousQuote

Postby AnonymousQuote » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:25 am

Ace wrote:This board is subject to a lot of default positive response bias, so of course you're gonna get a lot of yes answers here, but I actually think your style is more appealing than the Scott Pilgrim art style. This coming from a SP fan himself.

Thanks for your honest feedback! It means a lot :D

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:32 am

I recommend you go with your own unique style of drawing for your next project, and I like how you drew the woman in your drawing... her facial expression is great, her hairstyle simple, and I personally like how you drew her legs nice and thick.

I like you choice of attire for her... casual wear with snug short shorts to show off her legs. I also like how you drew the mud... it has a nice thick, heavy look to it, and you did a good job with the curved lines around her thighs to depict the mud cratering and yielding to her weight and struggles. Her thick legs look to be stuck fast and tight in the mud as she slowly sinks deeper and deeper, and the expression on her face confirms this.

Thanks for sharing!

marcl

Postby marcl » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:13 pm

You're offering to produce quicksand art and post it here? I'm sold!

For what it's worth, I do like the style of the sketch, and would love to see more.

And speaking of things I'd love to see more of, I really like your avatar picture, too.

AnonymousQuote

Postby AnonymousQuote » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:41 pm

water_bug_62208 wrote:I recommend you go with your own unique style of drawing for your next project, and I like how you drew the woman in your drawing...

Glad you like it! Thanks for the feedback :)

marcl wrote:You're offering to produce quicksand art and post it here? I'm sold!

I'll put a little bit here, most of my stuff is on my DeviantArt.

marcl wrote: For what it's worth, I do like the style of the sketch, and would love to see more.

Thanks!

marcl wrote:And speaking of things I'd love to see more of, I really like your avatar picture, too.

Unfortunately, I only colored that picture... There's not a good chance I'll do any more with it.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Love your artwork. If that is just a sketch, what could the polished version be like? :D

AnonymousQuote

Postby AnonymousQuote » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:28 pm

PM2K wrote:Love your artwork. If that is just a sketch, what could the polished version be like? :D

Thanks :) The finished version will likely be a lot more... "fuc"-y... If you know what I mean.
Of course, I now have the difficulty of deciding what style I'll actually be doing for this--I've received convincing feedback for both options.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:20 pm

AnonymousQuote wrote:The finished version will likely be a lot more... "fuc"-y... If you know what I mean.

I do... ;)

AnonymousQuote wrote:Of course, I now have the difficulty of deciding what style I'll actually be doing for this--I've received convincing feedback for both options.

Go with the one you are most comfortable with, then see what transpires. :D

AnonymousQuote

Re: Style Critiques (Now with Next Preview!)

Postby AnonymousQuote » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:15 pm

PM2K wrote:Go with the one you are most comfortable with, then see what transpires. :D

Having received convincing arguments in both directions, I've opted to go with a bastardization of the both...

Ramona_FM_Prev.jpg

Crits at this early stage are very welcome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Drawings”