New Depths: The Art of Writing Quicksand Stories

Put fingers to keyboard and make your fantasies come to life!
nachtjaeger

Re: New Depths: The Art of Writing Quicksand Stories

Postby nachtjaeger » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:37 am

Interesting. I was born with double amblyopia (two "lazy" or "wandering" eyes). Didn't get surgery to correct it until I was five. I never actually developed binocular depth perception. I have learned to compensate, but as you said 3D Cinema is a waste of money for me too. I wasn't much of a ballplayer either- I batted .009 in my Little League career. I do wear glasses- have since age 2- but I'm far from blind without them. Unfortunately my daughter inherited her mother's nearsightedness, and they both need their glasses to find their glasses. :roll:

Lomax wrote:
Fred588 wrote:My vision has become rather poor and it has become very hard to read what I have written on a computer screen.

Sorry to hear that, Fred.

Me, I was born functionally blind in one eye, meaning that I have very limited depth perception (when I was a kid, learning to catch a ball was a trial, and my efforts exposed me to much mockery) - and 3D cinema is a closed world to me.

In later life, my other eye (possibly over-burdened) has deteriorated - though in the opposite way to yours. I can see this screen fine; but without glasses I have difficulty working out what's across the street.

Worse; I have passed some dodgy DNA to my sons (why couldn't they have inherited their mother's eyesight, dammit?), all of whom have needed glasses from a young age.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Vintage_Witch

Postby Vintage_Witch » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Such an excellent post! You could be a creative writing instructor. There is a site you might know of called Fiction Post that could use your tutorial for prospective creative writers. When I read it I immediately saw the flaws in my story writing...in other words THANK YOU!
Eve

quickbeard

Postby quickbeard » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:52 pm

Excellent job! You could probably make money doing YouTube seminars on writing. The only thing that I could possibly add is to not get so caught up in what you think everyone else wants, that you lose the spark that is your own. However perfect the prose is, if you are not happy with it; don't finish until you are. What the good writers have in common (two of whom already mentioned) is that they have not lost their (and I hesitate to use this word) passion in the subject matter.

QB

Viridian

Postby Viridian » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:02 am

Interestingly, I do currently make money off YouTube, though not for writing.
Viridian @ deviantART: http://viridianqs.deviantart.com/

Cuthbert

Postby Cuthbert » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:44 pm

Personally I call my style of writing Gothic Trauma. It often involves themes of revenge,retribution,the occult. I also enjoy writing about bizarre fates and vampires. Some are put off by those subjects,but I find them therapeutic.

Rusty Shackleford

Re: Into the Forest: Constructing the Story

Postby Rusty Shackleford » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:04 pm

Viridian wrote:
Fantasy vs. Story

Being a fetish, seeing someone sinking in quicksand is usually at the forefront of our minds, and we love to portray that whenever can in whatever medium we are familiar with.

However, a picture in your head, alone, does not make a good story.

There is a line between a fantasy and a story. A fantasy is usually something that is unique to one person – you – that you personally enjoy, that only you can fully visualise. A story is something that is open for readers to join and experience. Most ‘plop and sink’ stories are fantasies that the writer has a burning desire to put onto paper.

Here’s an example: I might have an attractive friend named Annie. I fantasise about her being in quicksand. Sometimes while she’s wearing her favourite boots and jeans. Other times in a bikini on the beach. I like to imagine myself being there to see her sink, and then coming to the rescue. And I get off on it. That’s my fantasy.

Note that it’s my fantasy. Mine. I’m the only one who can fully appreciate it. This could be any fantasy – the ideal dress, a celebrity or video game character, a particular time or place, and so on. I’m basically turning something I know into a mannequin and driving into sand.

And that’s okay. There’s nothing wrong with having fantasies.

The essential thing to think about is that a fantasy does not necessarily make a good story.

For the reasons above, fantasies tend to be one-off, isolated from context and contain exclusive elements to each person. Understand that your 3-minute fantasy is probably not going to appeal to other readers. Think of it like the huge number of stories on Literotica that involve the narrator having sex with a celebrity in a hotel room. Once you read one, you’ve read them all. That time you really wanted to see your attractive grade-school teacher open her blouse? Not a good story. Trapped in the elevator with Megan Fox? Not a good story. Just imagine yourself telling a friend about how you fantasise about having sex with someone. They’re not exactly going to be on the edge of their seat.

Instead of writing a fantasy, use your fantasy to create a story. Use your specific person or place and build a narrative around it. Often I write stories with particular people I know playing out the roles of the characters, but it’s done in such a way that the story is not my own personal fantasy, but an adventure that can be experienced and enjoyed by anyone.

The fantasy might be having sex with someone, but the story is how it got there, and what happened afterwards.

Every now and again I come back to this excellently written series of articles. I've been thinking about this particular part a lot. I recently finished up a very large project, and I've been debating posting it for a time. It occurred to me that I write/draw stuff that I want to see. I think that's essential because why else do it. And at this point I'm very happy with the final product. But at the risk of sounding like a tool, I'm holding off on posting because I didn't write it for other people, I wrote it for me. I worry because I put in elements that I do like, that others will not like it. I mean, if I were writing for others I would do 1) jungle girl + 2) bikini (or naked) +3) QS and that's it. But that doesn't seem all that interesting by itself, so I write some story to it, the way I'd want to see it. But at what point does it become too personal?

So I was curious what other people thought. Where is the line between personal fantasy and interesting story for others? At what point do your particular interests make the story not very generalizable? And should it be generalizable, or is that what gives it character? At what point should you just post your personal stories and say who cares what others think? Is a quality story good enough or does it need to be mainstream? And really, what is a quality story if not one that you personally enjoy?

Just some thoughts going through my head.

Rusty

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:28 pm

Reply to Rusty's Question"

This is my opinion only but show me a writer who has never had a rejection of a piece of writing and I will show you a writer who has never written anything.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Viridian

Postby Viridian » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:09 am

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Where is the line between personal fantasy and interesting story for others? At what point do your particular interests make the story not very generalizable? And should it be generalizable, or is that what gives it character? At what point should you just post your personal stories and say who cares what others think? Is a quality story good enough or does it need to be mainstream? And really, what is a quality story if not one that you personally enjoy?

I actually see this from another point of view: why would I want to share my fantasy?

So much of the best material only works in your imagination, and only makes sense to you, and that often is enough "pleasure" to enjoy. Sometimes I run through story ideas in my head, maybe start a paragraph, but trash the idea, having satisfied that I've "experienced" the fantasy without having to put in the time and effort to turn it into a workable story. There's no stress in hoping that other people might enjoy your fantasy.

While the generation of ideas might be inherently selfish, the production of a piece of work and the act of sharing it means that, also inherently, you are pitch your idea and your fantasy towards someone else, and that means you have to frame it in a way that they can make sense of the particular elements of your story. It's like getting someone to share in your favourite restaurant or TV show. You can always enjoy these things by yourself, but bringing someone else along means that you kind of have to hold their hand so that they get to experience the "best" moments.

The generalisation/mainstream question is a good one. To me, it isn't a matter of making specific subject matter mainstream. It's about enabling a reader - any reader - to connect to something in the story, and that's what keeps the reader hooked. For example, you might frame the quicksand as a "peril", of which there is a large interest because many readers get a kick out of "peril" themed stories - damsels in distress, detectives and spies, falling victim to the trap of the week. Or you might envision quicksand as a sexual conduit, one of bondage and entrapment. Some of my favourite QS stories don't stick out because of the quicksand, but because of a peripheral topic, character or event that makes me want to read on. Maybe it's because I like a particular element of your fantasy, and I'm able to turn it into MY fantasy.

Then you've hit your goal.
Viridian @ deviantART: http://viridianqs.deviantart.com/

Return to “Stories”