The Miraculous Bog Rescue At The Edge Of Death

Put fingers to keyboard and make your fantasies come to life!

The Miraculous Bog Rescue At The Edge Of Death

Postby 101927700 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:09 am

Abigail had decided to come to the local peat bog in chest waders so she could take pictures of the wildlife there. She ventured into the peat bog, carefully navigating along relatively safe paths to take pictures. However, at one point, Abigail saw a flower that she had never seen before. However, it was surrounded by what looked to be shallow mud.

"I'm wearing chest waders, so I should be fine," Abigail told herself as she stepped into the mud. For most of the way to the flower, the mud was only thigh-deep, and Abigail hardly had any troubles. However, right as Abigail thought she was close enough to grab the flower, she sank up to her waist. It was a slow sink, with the bog gas coming up through the peat, bubbling as it reached the surface around Abigail's sinking waders.

"I'm scared! I don't want to lose these waders or my life!" she whispered to herself as she sank to a millimeter or two from the tops of her chest waders. Abigail took some pictures of the flower. But was it worth it to get a good picture? She contemplated that as she thought of how to get out of the bog. Eventually, Abigail figured it out. But, this plan would not work. As soon as she turned, she felt the mud beneath her chest waders give away, and Abigail sank over the tops of her chest waders, with the bog's methane and other gases farting up around Abigail's waders, and the thick and lukewarm bog peat was flowing into her waders, making Abigail shiver for a few seconds, as she felt her chest waders fill with peat.

"Oh no. This is my worst nightmare. What will I do?" she said. Eventually, Abigail settled at her breasts, which actually acted as a bit of a flotation device. For a few minutes. Abigail had time to take a few selfies before she sank to her neck.

"I'm a goner, aren't I? Well, while I'm still alive, but maybe not for long, I'll try to make the best of what I can in my last few minutes on this planet," Abigail told herself as she sank to her chin. She looked around, and then took one more selfie. She screamed a bit, but this only disturbed the mud more, making Abigail sink up to her lips, forcing her to stop talking and breathe through her nose. She took one last glance at the world, and wished she hadn't been so stupid and careless. Then, Abigail closed her eyes, and waited for herself to sink under. She sank under after a few minutes, and kept the mud out for a few minutes. So, this is what it feels like to die, she thought as she tried desperately to not breathe. But, despite Abigail's best efforts, she could not hold her breath forever, and breathed in a bunch of thick bog peat. As the mud filled her lungs, Abigail twitched a little bit, but was weakened by holding her breath earlier. By the time the bog peat had filled her lungs, she was certain she was going to die. However, in a last dying effort, as she felt herself start to fade, she shot her hand up out of the mud, and to her surprise, she felt herself being pulled upwards strongly. Am I going to the afterlife? What's happening? I think I'm dead! Abigail thought as she felt herself being lifted out of the bog. And, to her surprise, she felt the mud leaving her lungs. She opened her eyes to see a rescue helicopter flying overhead, with a sled that had been lowered to Abigail, and there were three rescue workers pulling her out of the mud.

"Am I alive? Where am I?" Abigail asked as she saw the workers.

"You're alive, but barely. It was good that you shot that hand up. Otherwise, you would be dead," said one of the workers to Abigail.

"Thank you. I should not have been so careless. What about my wade-" Abigail asked, but was cut off by a worker.

"Don't worry about your waders, Abigail. The important thing is that you're alive," said the worker. At that moment, Abigail realized something. The worker who had pulled her out was her brother, Jacob. That was the only way he could know her name.

"Jacob... Is that you? You never told me you worked for the Bog Rescue Department around here!" Abigail exclaimed in surprise as she was lifted to the helicopter with the workers.

"Yes, Abigail. It's me," Jacob replied. "I watched you go out to the bog, and when I saw you sink to your neck, I knew you were in trouble. When we got to you, we saw your hair disappear. We knew we had to act quickly. But that's a story for later." Speaking of Abigail's hair, Abigail was soaked in the mud.

"How did you manage to get all the mud out of my lungs as you found me?" Abigail asked.

"We saw your mouth, and routed a vacuum tube to it. These things are powerful," the helicopter pilot replied.

"What about my waders?" Abigail asked Jacob.

"We're lifting them to the helicopter now, sister," Jacob replied. After a few seconds, Abigail saw her soaked muddy chest waders on a hoist. They were so muddy that Abigail nearly didn't recognize them.

"Where now?" she asked.

"The hospital. Who knows what that mud did to you," replied the pilot.
So, the helicopter headed off to the local hospital. The doctors found small traces of peat in her bloodstream that had got in while her lungs were filled, but it was nothing life-threatening.

"You'll survive. We did the tests on your bloodstream while you were unconscious," Jacob told her.

"Also, don't think too hard, or go on stuff that takes you upside-down for the next few months. We don't want to risk the peat going to your brain and possibly giving you a disease," another doctor told Abigail.

"You were lucky to survive. You can head home in a few minutes. But first, we need to wash you off. Oh, and your waders too. About them... The mud pressure by the feet caused the bog peat to get in the lining and between the layers of rubber in your waders. Your chest waders will never be usable again. However, we will let you take them home to keep as a memory of today. Also, some advice for your life: try to stay away from bogs for a while, or at least take a snorkel. We don't want to take any chances," Jacob told her. One minute after, Abigail was washed, and given a bag with her soaked waders inside. She was taken home, and that is the end of the story.

Why is this called "The Miraculous Bog Rescue At The Edge Of Death"? Well, like the previous story, two reasons.
1. Abigail was rescued right as she was a few seconds from drowning.
2. Abigail was lucky she wasn't rescued two seconds later.

I had a lot of fun writing this. It went through some small changes during writing; for example, I was going to have Abigail die when the mud was in her lungs, but I felt like that would make it end too similar to so many quicksand stories. Also, I was going to have her chest waders not be rescued, but then I decided to have them rescued but unusable. It probably went through other changes too, but they're so minor that they aren't worth listing. (e.g. Abigail's name, the type of mud, etc.)

Anyways, that's about it for this story. See ya next time!

P.S. Feedback is appreciated in the replies.
Last edited by 101927700 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 9 times in total.
I’m not the person I was in 2016.
Profile picture by twitter.com/bogexplorer

DJlurker

Re: The Miraculous Bog Rescue At The Edge Of Death

Postby DJlurker » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:45 pm

Try to break up your stories into paragraphs next time. Walls of text are intimidating to read. Nice effort, though.

Postby 101927700 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:50 pm

DJlurker wrote:Try to break up your stories into paragraphs next time. Walls of text are intimidating to read. Nice effort, though.

Ok, walls of text in this story are broken up.

Stephymink

Postby Stephymink » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:32 pm

It was a good effort, thanks for posting.

As to whether or not it's realistic, I don't think that really matters? So long as it makes enough sense and has enough 'rule of cool'. Basically, so long as it seems cool, and seems believable, it's fine.

Postby 101927700 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:09 pm

Stephymink wrote:It was a good effort, thanks for posting.

As to whether or not it's realistic, I don't think that really matters? So long as it makes enough sense and has enough 'rule of cool'. Basically, so long as it seems cool, and seems believable, it's fine.

Ok, I've removed the disclaimer about realism.

joedeep130535

Postby joedeep130535 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:50 pm

Glad you save your "victims" I don't like grim stories You could give more details of struggle & slow sinking to heighten the effect but nice ideas

Postby 101927700 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:57 pm

joedeep130535 wrote:Glad you save your "victims" I don't like grim stories You could give more details of struggle & slow sinking to heighten the effect but nice ideas

Well, I prefer to get to the dramatic stuff. I'll start editing the story a bit to add some details.

EDIT 1: "It was a slow sink, with the bog gas coming up through the peat, bubbling as it reached the surface around Abigail's sinking waders." has been added.

EDIT 2: "As soon as she turned, she felt the mud beneath her chest waders give away, and Abigail sank over the tops of her chest waders, with the bog's methane and other gases farting up around Abigail's waders, and the thick and lukewarm bog peat was flowing into her waders, making Abigail shiver for a few seconds, as she felt her chest waders fill with peat." has been added.

Return to “Stories”