Tirah (Nearly) Loses Her Boots

Put fingers to keyboard and make your fantasies come to life!

What point of view should Part 3 of this series be in?

Third person
63%
First person
38%

Total votes: 8

Tirah (Nearly) Loses Her Boots

Postby 101927700 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:26 am

This is a sequel to my previous story, "Story of the Mudflat Girl". It takes place one month after the previous story. The rest will be explained as the story moves along.
----------------------------------------
It was August 1st. Tirah had bought some rubber gloves in the event that she would get stuck again.

This day, Tirah grabbed her pink rubber boots, which still had a bit of mud from the previous adventure on them. She went to a peat bog that was only a few hundred feet behind her house. However, she forgot her gloves. This would turn out to be a bad mistake later...
It was a hard trek, avoiding deep spots by poking them with a stick, and slowly navigating through the bog, trying not to sink in until she got to the place she wanted to.

Eventually, Tirah found the spot she wanted. The mud was really thick, really sticky, had some gas trapped in it, and was about the same depth as her boots were tall, as shown by the stick. Then, she took a selfie with the pit in the background. Once Tirah had uploaded it to Instagram, she turned around, and gently placed one of her boots on the surface, and then stepped down. The bog gas bubbled up out of the mud as her boot sank in. Tirah could feel the mud pressure closing in around her boot, and watched in awe as her boot slowly sank to just two millimeters from the top. Then, she sank her other boot in, feeling the mud pressure, hearing and smelling the bog gas, watching. At that point, Tirah took another picture for Instagram, the caption being, "Have you seen my boots?" It was great fun for her. There was still bog gas bubbling up, but Tirah guessed it was probably just a lot of gas that was being released by the mud.

Tirah stood there for 15 minutes, maybe even 30, enjoying the mud. But, eventually, she realized that she needed to get out. However, when she pulled on her left boot, it seemed like it was close to coming out due to moving around laterally, but vertically, it did not budge. It also triggered more gas to bubble up, and caused her boot to sink in another millimeter. She tried it with the right boot. Same effect. For all intents and purposes, Tirah was completely stuck in the bog, with no way of getting out - at least, with her boots on.

After another 15 minutes, Tirah was getting tired from trying to get out with her boots on. However, at that moment, a risky but better plan came to her: leave the boots, and walk out of the mud barefoot. But did she dare do it? After all, it would mean losing her favorite footwear. But, it was better than being stuck forever. So. Tirah decided to step out of the boots. She took a picture of them sticking out of the mud, with the caption, "Lost 'em! Oh no. Anyone have any ideas besides taking them off?" Tirah could feel the flexible surface of the bog under her feet, which made it hard to stand, but she managed. After trying to pull her boots out from the outside, Tirah gave up on the boots altogether. It was an anxious moment for Tirah. She was having one of her most dramatic mud experiences up until that point, but she was also losing her boots.

One minute later, right as Tirah was about to start heading out of the bog, she heard a gushing sound, and saw the thick peat flowing into her stranded boots. It was another anxious moment for Tirah. She knew that if she did not act now, her boots would be lost to the mud forever. However, she was also exhausted, so maybe she should leave her boots. After a few seconds of thought, Tirah decided to try to rescue her boots.

However, as she leaned over to grab the boots, she fell forward, and ended up laying down with her face half in the mud. The mud was just below her nostrils, and she could smell the stinky bog peat. The smell was probably a result of the fact that peat was decayed, compressed plant matter. But, Tirah overcame the smell, and stood back up, her shirt, shorts, and half of her face covered in black peat. Quickly, Tirah wiped the peat from her shirt and grabbed the boots, managing to not fall over this time. She felt the cold, thick peat try to make her hands stuck, but Tirah prevailed, and she managed to dig one of the boots out. It weighed about 20 times its usual weight, due to the heavy peat inside. It also smelled really bad, due to being covered in peat.

However, despite this, Tirah poured the mud out of her boot and put it on. Her phone was safe due to putting it in her back pocket, where it could not be touched by the mud. Then, Tirah reached for the other boot. It was about 1.5 times as far in as the other one, meaning there was more weight on top of it. This boot also smelled as bad, but once poured out, Tirah did not care, since she had not lost the boot.

Nearly an hour after she had left, Tirah returned home, albeit partially covered in peat. "Been out to the bog?" her friend who was visiting her asked. "Yeah," said Tirah. "Do you know how dangerous it is out there? You could've lost your boots!" her friend replied. "Well, I had to take them off, and only after they filled did I get them out. Also, I kinda fell over, which is why my shirt and shorts are dirty," replied Tirah. "Well, next time you go out there, either wear waders or bring me, since I do NOT want you drowning out there!" said her friend.

Anyways, that's about all I have to say.
Happy reading!
Last edited by 101927700 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
I’m not the person I was in 2016.
Profile picture by twitter.com/bogexplorer

Viridian

Re: Tirah (Nearly) Loses Her Boots

Postby Viridian » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:53 pm

As advice from one writer to another, I suggest removing anything that isn't the story from the story. The Q&A section is pointless. Don't spoil the immersion and magic of the story by framing it with questions that no one's asked. Let people enjoy it for what it is, and if people want to comment and question, they can do it in the thread.

On a side-note, I've deleted your index thread. There's no point in making a thread linking to your (four) other threads.
Viridian @ deviantART: http://viridianqs.deviantart.com/

Postby 101927700 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:45 pm

Viridian wrote:As advice from one writer to another, I suggest removing anything that isn't the story from the story. The Q&A section is pointless. Don't spoil the immersion and magic of the story by framing it with questions that no one's asked. Let people enjoy it for what it is, and if people want to comment and question, they can do it in the thread.

On a side-note, I've deleted your index thread. There's no point in making a thread linking to your (four) other threads.

Ok, Q&A section removed.

Postby 101927700 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:56 pm

So... Any other comments? Questions? Feedback? Any of those would be appreciated.

Postby 101927700 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:01 am

Ok, I'm going to be starting a poll on this thread about the format of Part 3 of this story. Should it be first-person? Third-person? You decide.

Viridian

Postby Viridian » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:32 am

Why don't you decide? These are your stories. Write what you want, not what readers want.
Viridian @ deviantART: http://viridianqs.deviantart.com/

Postby 101927700 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:13 am

Ok, I'm nearly done with thinking of the story of Part 3. Should be released tomorrow afternoon at latest, hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning.

Return to “Stories”