Listen To Your Friends

Put fingers to keyboard and make your fantasies come to life!

Re: Listen To Your Friends

Postby 101927700 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:08 pm

Jon Smith wrote:Kim's right. Also there was the same thing with "Big Breasts can be Deadly".

Going to change that in a few moments too... Been meaning to do that but once again never got around to it.
I’m not the person I was in 2016.
Profile picture by twitter.com/bogexplorer

Viridian

Postby Viridian » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:49 pm

This isn't to stop you from doing so, but why go back and change old stories? They're over and done with. They're not exactly examples of good writing from you to begin with, and changing the ending to make it cleaner won't draw people back to reading them again. If anything, I'd say use your old stories as a benchmark for you to write a better story next time.
Viridian @ deviantART: http://viridianqs.deviantart.com/

Jon Smith

Postby Jon Smith » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Viridian wrote:This isn't to stop you from doing so, but why go back and change old stories? They're over and done with. They're not exactly examples of good writing from you to begin with, and changing the ending to make it cleaner won't draw people back to reading them again. If anything, I'd say use your old stories as a benchmark for you to write a better story next time.

I feel it was a good move on his part for removing his mistake. How many communities allow you to take back saying embarrassing shit? Editing posts rocks. Hadn't of he did this, another incident could occur like the one that happened with Kim when she found this. Not good. From my experience, the longer a mistake is left public, the worse it gets.

Viridian

Postby Viridian » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:34 am

I think it's a mistake to refer to these as mistakes. As much as I am critical of writing, I see these as as bad choices, not mistakes. A mistake implies that he has done something wrong. He hasn't. The author has full control over their writing and they choose the elements. Sometimes they work together really well; sometimes they don't. In the end, the pieces make a complete product. Changing or moving a few things won't necessary make the product any better. Readers don't have to like the content (and personally, I don't like his stories; I focus on structure and style) - he does, after all, have very specific interests that trigger some people but turn off others, and we all have our own preferences. There *is* a niche for extremely specific gruesome deaths, and if wants to include them because that's what he really wants to get into, that's his prerogative. If he has a clear idea of what he wants to accomplish with his story, then he should stick with his convictions rather than see them as mistakes.

I've submitted several of my stories to Literotica, for example. Literotica is a much different community - it's about erotic fiction, and especially sex. My stories tend to be heavy in quicksand and light on sex. The feedback generally follows the theme of "stop using quicksand" and "include more sex". Are these mistakes? No, these are authorial choices. I am a quicksand-themed writer and all my stories will follow that fetish theme, and I have no reason to remove it just because a number of people don't see what the appeal is. Instead, next time I write a story for Literotica, I can be more conscious of how to present my vision to that particularly audience. In some ways, that will lose some of the appeal to the QS communtiy; but hey, can't please everyone.

Kimalainen

Postby Kimalainen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:41 am

Viridian wrote:There *is* a niche for extremely specific gruesome deaths

That's just sick

Jon Smith

Postby Jon Smith » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:11 am

Imagination can really go crazy with stories, but all these complications, criticism, demand, and other make it much more difficult. I want to write stories, I have wanted to since I joined the forums. I wrote one story, limited by factors and bullshit, and I regret it. I shouldn't be regretting that I tried. I, too, have a very specific set of fetishes that most people don't have, like raingear for example, the most important one for me alongside quicksand (which is why I am pleased with 101927700 for including waders). With me, you can't have one without the other. What sucks about this, is that very few others have this same set of fetishes, making things based on it extremely rare. I also hate gruesome deaths.

Also, when I said mistakes, I did mean poor choices.

Viridian

Postby Viridian » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:19 am

Out of curiosity, what would fulfill your specific interests? Though one of the primary rules I follow is to write for yourself rather than your audience, I've got some time to put something together that I don't normally write.

Jon Smith

Postby Jon Smith » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:03 am

Viridian wrote:Out of curiosity, what would fulfill your specific interests? Though one of the primary rules I follow is to write for yourself rather than your audience, I've got some time to put something together that I don't normally write.

Well, mine would involve this: Someone wearing a nylon rainsuit and lifevest, they sink in an extremely thick, inescapable mire (with ooblek-like properties). They sink to their armpits and remain stuck there. The clutches of the mire are so strong that if you stuck your finger in it you can't pull it back out.

By the way, I like being asked these kinds of questions, thank you. :)

Return to “Stories”