Story Ideas (not stories)

Put fingers to keyboard and make your fantasies come to life!
YerK

Re: Story Ideas (not stories)

Postby YerK » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:39 pm

I have read about that, previously. Glad not to have been part of that. Fluid moving at 35 mph is too fast to be fun. The account I read from an eye witness described horses caught out in it that were alive, but broken and unreachable, screaming in pain. The account I looked up just now mentioned a firefighter getting trapped in the debris of a firehouse and drowning slowly in the stuff. (Which may be interesting drama for some here, but again not my "angle", in that I more enjoy the stuck-and-in-peril more than the actually-dying part)

Oh! And before I forget: I'm told the Army tested a kind of glue-gun at one point, while looking for a non-lethal restraint weapon. They found a dense fluid that could be squirted in a stream for some distance, that upon impact would turn into an adhesive foam. This had the effect of gluing limbs together so that a target could no longer attack or flee. The problem was that it was not accurate, and one squirt across the face could foam up and close all airways, which meant this really was still a very lethal weapon. (even absent squirting a target anywhere near the face, the target could easily be tripped by foam attaching legs together, and fall face-first into some of the adhesive foam on the ground) I'm pretty sure it could be a bad situation if someone were around when such a weapon malfunctioned, or a sabotaged weapon were to go off unexpectedly, or if you were in a vehicle when an enemy round went through the pressurized tank of such a glue gun...

If what I heard was true, I could well imagine an alarm system that triggered glue to spray onto the floor in certain areas of a building to block escape.

Now, what if army scientists were able to come up with a similar substance that would not stick to skin at all, just hair and clothing... ;-)

YerK

Postby YerK » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:04 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/blast-hits-southe ... nance.html

An explosion at a petroleum refinery isn't that far-fetched.

YerK

Postby YerK » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:08 pm

Maybe I should have titled this "Elements for use in stories". I dunno. In any case, another idea has occurred to me:

What if you had one or more hikers, walking along a marked trail, by themselves in the middle of nowhere, when an earthquake happens. Now, one of the things that *can* happen during an earthquake is called "Liquifaction". It's where the shaking earth brings up ground water and mixes it with the topsoil, turning an area into mud. This is really likely in any area of reclaimed land (where someone fills in a lake or inlet and builds on top of it) but can happen practically anywhere.

Hikers could leave their car, start down some lonesome trail, and without ever leaving the trail, cross streams, clearings, whatever, and never have enough mud to stick to a shoe. One little shake later, they decide to go back to their car, and the trail has really changed. The clearing is still there, but the stream doesn't have water flowing in it anymore. They walk toward it, not bothering to look down at the clearing, where the soil is now moving beneath their feet, more as they approach the streambed. The one in front stops to point and announce "Hey! The rocks are different!" They stand, awestruck, looking up and down the streambed, wondering if they crossed somewhere else, as the two boulders that marked the path seem much shorter than they were on the way out. About that time, the ground is closing around their feet... ;-)

Viridian

Postby Viridian » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:51 pm

YerK, you're only a few steps away from writing the story yourself. It's a good way to set up the scene and you've got the suspense.
Viridian @ deviantART: http://viridianqs.deviantart.com/

gluednylonfeet

Postby gluednylonfeet » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:24 pm

Yerk, as a glue fan I have to say I've long thought on all of these ideas. I personally love the idea of glue- and sticky- themed supervillains. An old adhesives factory is a perfect hideout for such a character, so there's some more fuel for your fire.

joedeep130535

Postby joedeep130535 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:06 pm

The story of the ASH from the explosion at the oil refinery has jogged-well kicked into action- a memory. Volcanic ash, as from Mt St Helens, falls thickly on areas adjacent to the volcano Rain turns it into soft ,flowing ,mud. Depth depends on the amount of ash & rain but the mud is definitely interesting. It can be dangerous as a mudflow/avalanche but offers distinct possibilities for stories

YerK

Postby YerK » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:40 am

When I was a kid, Dad put in a wood-burning stove to help heat the house. It was my job to gather ashes out of it and dump them into a pit in the back yard. One rainy day, while out in rubber boots, I found out the ash made for some nearly clay-like mud. I found out later that ash + water = acid (known as lye). I found this out at Silver Dollar City, while helping one of the folks that worked there make lye soap by mixing lye with lard. I did not go back and try the ash out without the boots, because some of the wood we burned had nails or screws, so no bare feet in the ash pit.

Another setting: I've seen equipment set up near road construction where a giant mixer with burners under it heats a mix of rocks and tar to make pavement. Imagine a load of at such a site that is too thin, so it needs to be set aside. Without a tank, the site owner digs a quick pit, lines it, and dumps the too-thin stuff in, with the idea of adding a little at a time to the thicker tar, until it is all used up. With a bit of math, the site manager could easily dig a pit pretty much just big enough to hold this load of tar. If he's too good with his math, the top of this storage pit of tar would be ground-level. People sneaking onto the site (usually fenced in) might not notice this as a pit until it was too late. If something were to happen (someone stops the use of the thinner tar, road construction is put off, maybe the right underling doesn't get word to use the thinner stuff to begin with) that pit could be there for some time. It could develop a skin where dust settles on the surface, and where tar at the surface oxidizes. That skin could even hold the weight of a person, at least briefly. Someone not paying attention to their steps might actually not notice the "give" that the pit surface would have, since there may be other places on this lot with soft tar, pretty much any time of year. (from leaks & spills & such) If a person were to get to the center of a 6' X 6' pit, then get stuck, they might never reach anything at any edge. Even if the pit were only 3' deep, they could be so stuck they couldn't move. if it's 5' deep, the stuck person will need to be pretty tall, or drown.

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:49 am

YerK wrote:I found out later that ash + water = acid (known as lye).

Actually, lye is alkaline, not acid.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:51 pm

joedeep130535 wrote:The story of the ASH from the explosion at the oil refinery has jogged-well kicked into action- a memory. Volcanic ash, as from Mt St Helens, falls thickly on areas adjacent to the volcano Rain turns it into soft ,flowing ,mud. Depth depends on the amount of ash & rain but the mud is definitely interesting. It can be dangerous as a mudflow/avalanche but offers distinct possibilities for stories

The bentonite clay used in my clay pit is weathered, volcanic ash in origin.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:55 pm

Bear in mind that the mixture you describe is functionally liquid because it is hot and would solidify when cooled. Technically I think hardened tar is still a liquid, as is glass, but for all practical purposes its a solid. In the real world, of course, if the mixture was too thin I think they would just dump in more rocks.

YerK wrote:When I was a kid, Dad put in a wood-burning stove to help heat the house. It was my job to gather ashes out of it and dump them into a pit in the back yard. One rainy day, while out in rubber boots, I found out the ash made for some nearly clay-like mud. I found out later that ash + water = acid (known as lye). I found this out at Silver Dollar City, while helping one of the folks that worked there make lye soap by mixing lye with lard. I did not go back and try the ash out without the boots, because some of the wood we burned had nails or screws, so no bare feet in the ash pit.

Another setting: I've seen equipment set up near road construction where a giant mixer with burners under it heats a mix of rocks and tar to make pavement. Imagine a load of at such a site that is too thin, so it needs to be set aside. Without a tank, the site owner digs a quick pit, lines it, and dumps the too-thin stuff in, with the idea of adding a little at a time to the thicker tar, until it is all used up. With a bit of math, the site manager could easily dig a pit pretty much just big enough to hold this load of tar. If he's too good with his math, the top of this storage pit of tar would be ground-level. People sneaking onto the site (usually fenced in) might not notice this as a pit until it was too late. If something were to happen (someone stops the use of the thinner tar, road construction is put off, maybe the right underling doesn't get word to use the thinner stuff to begin with) that pit could be there for some time. It could develop a skin where dust settles on the surface, and where tar at the surface oxidizes. That skin could even hold the weight of a person, at least briefly. Someone not paying attention to their steps might actually not notice the "give" that the pit surface would have, since there may be other places on this lot with soft tar, pretty much any time of year. (from leaks & spills & such) If a person were to get to the center of a 6' X 6' pit, then get stuck, they might never reach anything at any edge. Even if the pit were only 3' deep, they could be so stuck they couldn't move. if it's 5' deep, the stuck person will need to be pretty tall, or drown.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Return to “Stories”