A girl's best friend

Put fingers to keyboard and make your fantasies come to life!
tenenbaum

A girl's best friend

Postby tenenbaum » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:49 am

I needed her dead, and he couldn't find out.

I had no idea how long Dave had been cheating on me. We'd been married for about five years, and I only found out via a stray text message I saw on his phone.

It was pretty blunt: "Has Kate ever blown you that well?"

Bitch.

Andrea certainly wasn't hotter than me, but maybe Dave just needed something extra. The problem is, I can't leave him over an affair. Dave makes way too much money, and marrying him was a way for me to be set for life.

Dresses hanging on my slender body. Knee-high boots. My hair and nails done whenever I wanted. So I couldn't leave him. But I had to get rid of Andrea before he left me for her. I could tell by his demeanor that I didn't have much time.

I had what I thought was the perfect plan. Andrea goes running every morning through the local forest preserve. I'd wait for her near a notorious patch of quicksand that has ensnared some locals near the trail. I'd grab her, toss her in the pit, then leave for work. I'd leave my phone at home so my location couldn't be tracked. And there would be no finding her body.

I started staking her out before work every morning, just to make sure I knew her path. I hid behind a tree in my work clothes - dresses and heels because I'm a secretary. She ran by at about the same time every morning, and she was the only one on the trail. Right on the other side of me was a pretty wide pit of quicksand. Andrea ran past, and I went to work, filing and answering the phone, sure my plot would work.

The morning of my plan, I started to get nervous. I should give him a last chance to avoid this, I thought.

I put on my lowest-cut black dress and did my hair, really trying to look beautiful. Dave came down, getting ready to go to work, and I leaned on my elbows on the kitchen island, trying to display my cleavage, a string pearls dangling between my breasts.

The diamond bracelet he got me recently was on my left wrist.

He didn't even look at me.

"No kiss before you leave?" I asked him.

"I'm sorry babe. I'm in a hurry," he said, slinging a messenger bag onto his shoulder. "I'll see you tonight."

That sealed it. Off to the forest preserve I went.

It was such a pain to walk in heels from my car to my hiding spot, but I made it in plenty of time. I watched the empty trail, and turned my head to look at the pit. It was waiting dormant.

I heard the sound of footsteps coming, and my heartbeat quickened to match the sound. I pressed my red lips together and prepared. I could see Andrea. She was wearing iPhone headphones, totally oblivious to the world around her, and was running in just a black sports bra and short shorts.

I jumped out into the middle of the trail just as she arrived. Andrea shrieked, startled, as she ran into my arms. Just as I envisioned hundreds of times, I used her forward momentum to push her to the side, her feet stumbling forward off the trail and landing, splat, in the quicksand.

"What the fuck!" she shouted, pulling the headphones from her ears and turning to look at me. She was already up to her knees.

I glared at her.

"That'll teach you to sleep with my husband," I said. "No one's going to find you here when you sink from sight."

Andrea looked down and pumped her legs as I caught my breath.

"You pushed me into quicksand?" she yelled. "What the fuck! Get me out of here!"

I took a step toward her.

"I don't think so," I said, smiling wide. "You'll never get out. That shit is bottomless."

The quicksand gurgled, slowly inching to her knees. Andrea reached for a black band around her upper arm. It was her phone. I laughed.

"No one you can call is going to find you in time," I said. "You're dead."

I started to walk away, my heels clicking on the path, looking over my shoulder back at her.

But Andrea held the phone up and pointed the camera at me, then turned it to point it at herself.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Posting online that you're trying to kill me," she said. "If you don't get me out, you're a murderer."

I froze, then started to walk back to her quickly.

"Give me that phone," I said.

I walked to the edge of the pit. Andrea was about 10 feet from the edge.

"If you post that, I won't help you," I said, tersely, getting nervous.

She didn't reply as the quicksand slowly climbed her bare thighs.

Andrea held it up to show me.

"I've set these to post to Twitter in an hour. Get me out, and I'll cancel the posts. You're free to live your life," she said. "But for now, it's in the cloud and ready to post."

She locked her phone with her passcode, and tossed it to safety onto a tuft of grass.

My heart sunk. I was fucked.

If I didn't get her out, I'd surely be charged with murder. My face was plain as day in the photos.

I picked up her phone and slid it into my cleavage, then picked up a stick and put my toes at the edge of the pit. Andrea had already sunk down to the tops of her thighs, pushing up the hems of her small shorts.

I stretched toward her with the stick, and she reached back. Not even close. I brushed some hair from my face with my hand and looked around.

There weren't many sturdy branches around here in the middle of summer. Just twigs and skinny limbs.

"Hurry up, OK?" Andrea said. She had sunk to her hips. "I'm feeling really stuck here."

It was the first time she sounded vulnerable, and regret started to sink into me the same way Andrea's body was sinking into the pit.

"Oh God!" she cried out. I looked at her, and the cold quicksand had just touched her bare midriff, leaving goosebumps all over her exposed skin. She was starting to panic. "You have to come get me!"

"I'll get stuck, too!"

"If you don't, you're going to die in prison!"

I took a deep breath.

"OK, put out your hands. I'll come grab you and pull you back to the edge."

Andrea reached toward me, and I slipped out of my heels. I looked into her eyes, nervously playing with my pearls. Nervously adjusting the diamond bracelet, and then adjusting my breasts in my dress. I have no idea why I left it all on.

"Come on!" she yelled, the quicksand touching her lowest rib.

I took a big step into the pit, then another, then another, sinking lower with each step. I grabbed both of Andrea's hands with both of mine and pulled her body to me, my chest heaving as I breathed hard. The effort left me sunk into my hips.

"This shit is thick!" I groaned.

"I know," Andrea said.

I tried to drag her, and me, back toward the edge of the pit. I clawed at her sports bra, trying to find anything to give myself a grip. Soon, I was down to my ribs, too, same as Andrea, and we'd only moved forward a couple of feet.

I reached toward the edge. Too far.

"We're stuck," I said.

"This is not good," Andrea said. She looked at me now as if we were on the same team, even though I'd done this to her.

I pulled her phone from my cleavage. "What's your passcode?"

"What are you doing?"

"What's your passcode? We need to call Dave. It's that or die."

"Give me my phone!"

"Just tell me the passcode, your hands are too muddy."

Andrea had a look of resignation in her eyes.

"6128"

I unlocked her phone quickly, dialed Dave, and held the phone to Andrea's ear.

"Hello?"

"Dave? Dave?"

"Yes?"

"Dave, I'm trapped in quicksand at the forest preserve. The spot that's in the news. I need you to come get us!" she said.

"What? Us...?"

"Just do it, please hurry! I'm here with Kate! I'm sinking, Dave! I'll drown!"

Andrea grabbed the phone from me and tossed it to safety.

"Had to save the photos," she said.

The quicksand creeped under my dress and started to push up on the bottoms of my breasts. I gasped, and Andrea and I held each other tightly.

"We're still sinking," she said. "We have to make a move or we'll drown."

I didn't look into her eyes, instead watching the quicksand ooze up between her breasts.

"OK. We just need to get a hand on the ledge."

The movement was slow, but we kept sinking. We both moaned in desperation, trying to swim toward the edge of the pit. But the quicksand was relentless, pulling us down, sucking our bodies into the pit with every move we made.

By the time we stopped to catch our breaths, we were both up to our necks, gasping for air, running dangerously low on energy. The fingertips of my left hand could barely brush the solid ledge, but I couldn't get a grip to get any leverage. Andrea was in the same situation.

"Fuck this!" she panted. "It's sucking me down! Dave! Hurry!"

"I'm so sorry," I gasped back. "I'm so sorry. Tip...tip your chin up. Keep it free of the quicksand!"

"I'm trying!"

"Here!" I yelled. "In case we get out!"

I unhooked my diamond bracelet from my left hand and draped it over Andrea's, easily fastening it on her with one hand, as I'd always had to do alone for myself.

"Lot of good that does!" Andrea yelled, her hair fanning out on the surface.

We both tried to scoot forward as our heads tipped ever backward, trying to keep our lips free of the quicksand. We both kept lunging our hands toward the ledge, looking for a grip.

But it just kept getting softer, slipping through our fingers.

"Dave!" Andrea yelled. "Dave please!"

"Oh God!" I screamed. "This is it!"

Andrea screamed hysterically, both our sets hands frantically trying to find any solid grasp of the edge of the pit.

"Noooommmppppfffff"

Andrea's and my faces disappeared at about the same time, plunging us in the the black, silent world under the quicksand. But our hands furiously worked above the surface.

Holding my breath started to become painfully hard. All my lungs wanted to do was inhale and save my life. My hands started to lose their grip.

I couldn't see what happened, but I have an idea.

Dave ran up to the edge of the pit, right as we both started to black out. He looked down at the two sets of hands, frantic. He saw one left hand with the familiar diamond bracelet.

He grabbed the other hand, closed his eyes hard, and pulled. The other hands groped at my body as I started to slide out of the pit, my lips parting wide to breathe once my head breached the surface, my face and body covered in thick quicksand.

My black dress slipped through Andrea's hands, and they plunged under the surface. Dave pulled me on top of him, panting and crying. He whispered into my ear.

"I have you Andrea."

I tried to catch my breath.

"Thank...you..." I wheezed. "Husband."

He tossed me off onto solid ground, his face in shock. Dave knelt by the pit and dug his hands in deep, searching for any trace of Andrea.

"Andrea!" he yelled "No! No! Where are you?"

He dug at the quicksand like a dog digs a hole, searching for her. But he found nothing. Next to him, I tried to catch my breath, perched on my hands and knees.

I looked at the panic and sadness on his face. I stood up slowly as he kept searching and calling her name. And I knew this wouldn't end well for me. He had tunnel vision, focused on trying to find his love.

I quietly slipped on my clean black heels onto my quicksand coated feet. I lifted one foot up, and placed it gently on his back.

Then pushed.

"What the...?"

Dave flew face first into the quicksand. He writhed and struggled, but he could never get his face up, and he soon disappeared.

I wiped my hands on the grass and picked up Andrea's phone. I typed in the code. Then canceled the posts and dialed 911.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"My name is Andrea, and I'm at the forest preserved with my boyfriend!" I screamed. Sounding out of breath wasn't a stretch. "We're sinking in quicksand! My name is Andrea and he's David. Please hurry!"

I hung up and walked to my car, heels clicking along the way.

Cleaned up, showered and rested the next morning, I declined to comment to reporters. But the police chief's news conference told the whole story better than I could have dreamed it up.

"Yeah, he was cheating with her," the chief told reporters. "She even took her diamond bracelet."

marshmouse

Re: A girl's best friend

Postby marshmouse » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:22 am

Wow. That was some good writing. Thanks.
Peeps!

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:50 am

Outstanding work! :D Very Hitchcockian.

DaegonNeo

Postby DaegonNeo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:10 am

Very nice story. Looking forward to the next.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."

"Tolerance is the last refuge of a scoundrel."
-Socrates

Viridian

Postby Viridian » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:18 am

This is a masterclass in writing. It took me a couple of reads to appreciate how you tied all the plot elements together, and with your unique style of drama. Well done.
Viridian @ deviantART: http://viridianqs.deviantart.com/

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:35 am

Niiiiice!!

And note to self... get rid of the phone first!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Cuthbert

Postby Cuthbert » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:14 am

Excellent. Among the very best here.

tenenbaum

Postby tenenbaum » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks, all. I've learned a lot from you all during my long tenure of nervous lurking and hope to be less nervous about it.

Quicksandal

Postby Quicksandal » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:49 pm

Great story!

YerK

Postby YerK » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:32 pm

I enjoyed that story! (Remind me not to date any of your characters, though!) ;-)

Return to “Stories”