Sometimes, one Day can last a Lifetime.

Put fingers to keyboard and make your fantasies come to life!
Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

Sometimes, one Day can last a Lifetime.

Postby Lomax » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:06 pm

And a happy Tuesday to you all.

I was a bit reticent about posting this on DS when I first wrote it - but the response was entirely positive, so it obviously wasn't as controversial as I'd feared.

I was also a bit concerned as I was writng outside my comfort zone. "Write what you know" they tell all aspiring writers; but there must come a stage where you move on to writing what you don't. By and large, I'm fairly pleased with the result.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

Lomax

Re: Sometimes, one Day can last a Lifetime.

Postby Lomax » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:36 pm

Hmm. Ninety downloads, but not a single comment? Don't be shy. There's nobody here but us chickens.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

Weapon X

Postby Weapon X » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:38 am

My apologies, Lomax...I was one of the 90 who downloaded, but the characters were not exactly my cup of tea. You posess an excellent writing ability, there is nothing wrong with your style, and I hope I'm not coming off as being a downer...but it wasn't exactly my type of read. I didn't wish to offend is why i did not comment. Please, continue to post, however...your other stories are excellent!

quagmire_uk

Postby quagmire_uk » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:34 am

Same here... I started reading and then realised what you meant about writing outside your 'comfot zone'. Looked like it was well written, but I wasn't going to force myself to read the whole story just for the sake of giving useful critique, since it's just ladies in quicksand that interest me.

I'm surprised you didn't get ANY replies though, since I'm sure there are some gay and bi guys around here. Some ladies might be interested too. (Lots of guys enjoy stuff to do with lesbians, but only some girls enjoy stuff to do with gay guys... though given the huge amount of gay fan fiction written by women, it must be quite a significant number.)

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:17 pm

Weapon X wrote:I didn't wish to offend is why I did not comment.

The question of offense is not relevant here. I'm after feedback. Not to massage my ego - though I can hardly deny that compliments are nice to receive - but to learn from. I still hanker ambitions of becoming a serious writer (serious = gets paid); to which end I am honestly just as anxious to hear comments from people who DON'T like what I've written. It's informative, and it's good for me.

stevensenechal

Postby stevensenechal » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:35 am

Fetishists can be notoriously fickle. In the world of digital imagery and instant gratification the written word is easily lost. I applaude your literary efforts and do suggest that you post your writings on literary sites where you can get informed feedback from professional writers and professional readers as well. Much of the effort you put into your story will be lost on those who want a quick(sand) fix.
Arrakis trains the faithful.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:54 pm

stevensenechal wrote:In the world of digital imagery and instant gratification the written word is easily lost.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I think of myself as making a last stand against the barbarians. Then my radio is hi-jacked for two hours as people discuss whether a certain annoying pop star is or is not dead - and I realise that the battle was lost a long time ago.

I suggest that you post your writings on literary sites where you can get informed feedback from professional writers and professional readers as well.

Can you suggest one?

stevensenechal

Postby stevensenechal » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:47 pm

Can you suggest one?[/quote]

I will do some research for you. A good start for you would be to look up some schools in your area that have after-hours or adult learning courses (evening courses) on writing and they may also have an online forum. A simple evening course costs very little and is a quick in to the writing community. There is nothing like being face-to-face with your peers to give you informed feedback. You should be careful of your motives however, most 'civilians' will not understand 'deviant' behavior and it would be wise to focus on the craft of writing in these situations. Otherwise, keep up the posts here as practice makes perfect.....
Arrakis trains the faithful.

Weapon X

Postby Weapon X » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:33 am

stevensenechal wrote:Fetishists can be notoriously fickle. In the world of digital imagery and instant gratification the written word is easily lost. I applaude your literary efforts and do suggest that you post your writings on literary sites where you can get informed feedback from professional writers and professional readers as well. Much of the effort you put into your story will be lost on those who want a quick(sand) fix.

There are also those of us who read for the enjoyment of reading. My hesitancy in posting feedback was not due to the quantity of quicksand content, but my...uncomfortability with the characters of the story. This is merely my personal view, and I do not speak for others. My apologies if I gave any other impression.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:49 am

Quicksand Doctor74 wrote:I thought this tale was beautiful,and poignant. And also a good sad story! It's an example of an good tale that has sinking in it,instead of just being a tale about sinking!

Thank-you.

I've said it before; but I feel the need to be more involved in the stories I write. And, to an extent, in the stories I read. Quicksand for me is about drama, not sex; which means that I need to know about the characters so that I can care whether they live or die.

Return to “Stories”