Second Life Issues

Can't get something here at Quicksand Fans to work? Post your issue here.
mudmaiden

Second Life Issues

Postby mudmaiden » Mon May 25, 2015 7:03 am

For some time now I have been unable to log into second life. Does anyone else has these issues. It says that either my internet connection is preventing me, or there is issues with the Second Life grid. Obviously, my internet connection is fine. Can anyone please assist?
Tarzan to Jill Hardy: Girl be still. Not sink!!"
From "Valley Of Mystery" : Don't struggle and do not thrash around; that just makes things worse!

Also: check me out at:
http://mudmaiden.deviantart.com/gallery/

triclopse

Re: Second Life Issues

Postby triclopse » Mon May 25, 2015 8:56 pm

I just logged in without any problems using an outdated copy of catznip. What viewer are you using?

mudmaiden

Postby mudmaiden » Tue May 26, 2015 2:51 am

I was using the Phoenix Viewer 4.7 beta. I had no problems with it before. But now I got a message that my network has limited internet access that would render some websites unreachable. Would I have to contact my internet provider?
Tarzan to Jill Hardy: Girl be still. Not sink!!"
From "Valley Of Mystery" : Don't struggle and do not thrash around; that just makes things worse!

Also: check me out at:
http://mudmaiden.deviantart.com/gallery/

triclopse

Postby triclopse » Tue May 26, 2015 6:51 pm

do you know what it is that's giving that message?
If you're connecting through a router that your internet provider gave you, then they'll probably be the best to help, but there are a few steps you can take to narrow down the source of the problem. If you have a wireless connection to a router, try using a lan cable instead to take wifi issues out of the equation. If you get the same problem through a cable, and you have a windows system, try this...

Open the start menu and find the command prompt, you can probably find it by typing cmd and looking for cmd.exe
Open the command prompt window, it should be black with white text.
Type ipconfig and hit enter. This should show a load of information about your network connections.
Look for the line that lists your default gateway, this should be a 4 number address seperated by dots, such as 192.168.0.1 This should be your router's IP address
Type ping followed by a space then that number, for example "ping 192.168.0.1" then hit enter.
The ping command sends 4 packets of data to the address you specify and waits for them to bounce back. If it works there will be 4 replies, each showing time<1ms, meaning it took less than 1 millisecond to reply.
If any of the packets don't make it back or the replies take a long time, there's a problem between your computer and the router itself.

This is all assuming you're using a router of course. Hope this helps.

Return to “Technical”