PMs Not Available For Some Recently Added Accounts

Can't get something here at Quicksand Fans to work? Post your issue here.
Duncan Edwards

Re: PMs Not Available For Some Recently Added Accounts

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:25 pm

cbqdbq wrote:I have looked at the list of users newer than me and there are many who are registered, and newer ones that are "newly-registered". There seems to be a period of time a few years ago that joiners are all only in probation. Do most of these people just stop trying to post messages so probationers are a very tiny minority that you dont mind having to approve each of their posts?

I guess I would just start a new account and hope to become registered. but that is not something i want to do. i dont want to create an account just to try to get around the probation period joiners. So I will just endeur being probation as long as you moderator folks want to stand on that position insted of donig a periodic review of them to see if anyone deserves to be razed to registered status.

i did have an even older acct I stopped using before i set up this one but i lost the password for it. it was a regular registered acct that allowed me PM and post without waiting for approval.

Dave's kind of a modest sort but that's never been much problem for me so here's my understanding of the situation. Having been a moderator here myself, you wouldn't believe the number of jerks, dopes, freaks, criminals, benighted idiots, perverts, malignant assholes, etc. that populate the nether regions of this place. Some are simply stupid or messed up and some really are out to do mental, emotional, or at least threaten with physical, harm. It requires a certain level of policing and attention that's a real challenge for a one man operation and especially so for one man with several other one man operations that require far more attention than this place.

Given the level of producer participation that keeps this venue moderately entertaining, how would you feel if we put a credit card slot on QSF? It would definitely serve to keep the bad players out and finance a better operation. Sort of turns the place into a gated community but it would improve the level of "customer service" for sure. You get what you pay for.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:49 pm

cbqdbq wrote:I have looked at the list of users newer than me and there are many who are registered, and newer ones that are "newly-registered". There seems to be a period of time a few years ago that joiners are all only in probation. Do most of these people just stop trying to post messages so probationers are a very tiny minority that you dont mind having to approve each of their posts?

I guess I would just start a new account and hope to become registered. but that is not something i want to do. i dont want to create an account just to try to get around the probation period joiners. So I will just endeur being probation as long as you moderator folks want to stand on that position insted of donig a periodic review of them to see if anyone deserves to be razed to registered status.

i did have an even older acct I stopped using before i set up this one but i lost the password for it. it was a regular registered acct that allowed me PM and post without waiting for approval.

It's easy to presume that these categories have significantly different permissions, but they don't. Newly registered users can't do anything, because they haven't been activated. Registered users can't post without permission until they reach a certain threshold (which is set higher here than normal). And they can't PM until this threshold is reached. The only issue with this area of concern is that I am later than usual in moving this type of user into 'probation'.

And why is all of this necessary? Because of the reasons Duncan mentioned above.

The only real issue I need to address is the board email function. Hopefully that will be resolved soon.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

cbqdbq

Postby cbqdbq » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:15 am

Thanks, Dave, Duncan for replys. Im not trying to pester you. Just seems like after four years that you'd either kick me out or upgrade me, so maybe you are nervous about me? If you are nervous about me just please tell me.

Like I said I looked at the users list and my eyes buged out at seeing how many have zero posts in all the time they have been a member. Do you have ideas on why they do that? Just to lurk and read and never contribute? Do you know how often or the last time they log on? I am not trying to be nosy, just noting the weirdness of that.
cbqdbq
compeled by qs, demies by qs

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:03 pm

cbqdbq wrote:Thanks, Dave, Duncan for replys. Im not trying to pester you. Just seems like after four years that you'd either kick me out or upgrade me, so maybe you are nervous about me? If you are nervous about me just please tell me.

Like I said I looked at the users list and my eyes buged out at seeing how many have zero posts in all the time they have been a member. Do you have ideas on why they do that? Just to lurk and read and never contribute? Do you know how often or the last time they log on? I am not trying to be nosy, just noting the weirdness of that.

It's not a problem. I'll do some digging around and see if I can get you fixed up.

The fake account issue is one of the topics I almost mentioned above. They used to get more attention - and be deleted by the hundreds. But the shifting email landscape has meant that there was only a short window within the last few years where accounts could be created and activated freely. Some serious housecleaning will take place once we get some upgrades done.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

cbqdbq

Postby cbqdbq » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:56 am

Thanks Dave. Like I said I am not trying to pester or be a nusance. my wife used to be a mod (one of a few) for a very popular board and it got to be too much work to check new entrants and decide whether to approve so I know you have a big job. especally if you are the only mod then you are Atlas holding up the whole world.
cbqdbq
compeled by qs, demies by qs

Return to “Technical”