Download Files IN PRIVACY

Can't get something here at Quicksand Fans to work? Post your issue here.
reisen55

Download Files IN PRIVACY

Postby reisen55 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Here are two good methods to download,i.e. from CLUBMPV, in safety without having family members suddenly know that YOU are a quicksander. Not good for dinner table conversation..

1 - Remote Control another computer,if you have network, and do your download THERE. Remote Desktop Control is a fine utility and I highly recommend it.

2. Desktops from www.systernals.com. This little gem gives your system FOUR VIRTUAL DESKTOPS so you can download happily in one session, chose another and your systems looks CLEAN AND PURE as the driven snow. Also a good utility.

Kookus

Re: Download Files IN PRIVACY

Postby Kookus » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:37 am

If you're savvy with VMs, VirtualBox is a good option, as it allows mounting of the host machine's drives as slaves in the guest OS. AFAIK, VMWare does not yet provide this option.

Another trick that I used to use was to install my browser of choice inside of a TrueCrypt encrypted file and configure the cache, history, and bookmarks to exist within that same file. It doesn't do you much good if somebody stumbles into your browsing session, but it completely precludes any chance of them digging up your browsing history/habits. I later moved on to using a ramdrive for the browser cache, but have since grown much less paranoid.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

reisen55

Postby reisen55 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:27 pm

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

AH, A TRUE VETERAN OF THE PERSONAL COMPUTER HERE. ZORK1 - THE GREAT UNDERGROUND EMPIRE.

Saved my sanity during a divorce in 1985.

Green Heart

Postby Green Heart » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Except for that damn Thief you had to fight.

tempman

Postby tempman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:02 pm

I always find password protected folders (thanks to permissions in OSX) works a treat. I hide them away in out of reach locations, enable Privacy mode on Safari. I've created a script that wipes out recently opened apps and documents too.

But then again I don't share my computer so I don't even use the above methods (unless I'm out for a couple of days).

Return to “Technical”