Quicksand Comic Book Page. Help Me Find the Original Comic?

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
Palinov Jensen

Quicksand Comic Book Page. Help Me Find the Original Comic?

Postby Palinov Jensen » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:35 am

I have a really good friend who has a quicksand fetish. When it crosses my mind I like to find quicksand related things to share with him especially quicksand things that cross over into things I'm interested in such as trading cards, video games, comic books, etc...

The other day, while searching for things to share with him I came across the following comic book page: http://www.reocities.com/qsfurfan/somp2.jpg

That particular comic book page hit a nerve because it reminds me of the quicksand stories my friend and I wrote to each other. I don't have a quicksand fetish, but enjoy engaging with him and enjoy entering his world. When I read the comic I imagined that the characters were he and I, me being the woman of course. The male character honestly reminds me of my friend!

Anyway if any quicksand fans or fellow comic book fans know the name and issue from which the comic book page came, please let me know. I have a little money to burn and would love to own the comic book. I care about my friend a great deal and I like him a lot (I'm not in love with him!). He means the world to me. I'd love to own this awesome comic book that relates to his quicksand fetish and my love for comic books. Oh, by the way, when I shared the comic page with him, he said, “that comic book was niiiiiice!”

If this is any help, the comic book looks as if it was released between the 1980's to 1990's, judging by the art. Looks like I went off on a tangent! I hope one of you guys can help me out!

PM2K
Always Remembered

Re: Quicksand Comic Book Page. Help Me Find the Original Com

Postby PM2K » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:42 am

The comic is from a series called Somerset Holmes. I believe this scene is in issue #2

According to Wikipedia, it was a 6-issue comic book mini-series written by Bruce Jones and co-plotted by April Campbell with art by Brent Anderson. The first four issues were published by Pacific Comics; after Pacific went out of business the last two issues were published by Eclipse Comics which later collected all six issues into a trade paperback. The first issue of Somerset Holmes was cover dated September 1983, the last December 1984.

Somerset Holmes tells the story of an amnesiac young woman, chased by criminals intent on killing her, and her attempts to stay alive while simultaneously struggling to solve the mystery of her past life and true identity. She takes her assumed name, Somerset Holmes, from a sign advertising a housing project, Somerset Homes.

paladin

Postby paladin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:52 am

I bought this comic when it first came out back in the early 80s. It was indeed from Somerset Holmes; but, this scene is from a back up series in that comic called Cliff Hanger. Art by the late great Al Williamson. I may even still have my copies of this one somewhere.

Palinov Jensen

Postby Palinov Jensen » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:53 am

PM2K wrote:The comic is from a series called Somerset Holmes. I believe this scene is in issue #2

According to Wikipedia, it was a 6-issue comic book mini-series written by Bruce Jones and co-plotted by April Campbell with art by Brent Anderson. The first four issues were published by Pacific Comics; after Pacific went out of business the last two issues were published by Eclipse Comics which later collected all six issues into a trade paperback. The first issue of Somerset Holmes was cover dated September 1983, the last December 1984.

Somerset Holmes tells the story of an amnesiac young woman, chased by criminals intent on killing her, and her attempts to stay alive while simultaneously struggling to solve the mystery of her past life and true identity. She takes her assumed name, Somerset Holmes, from a sign advertising a housing project, Somerset Homes.

Oh Wow! Thank you very much!!! Just checked Ebay and noticed that the series wasn't terribly expensive. I shall purchase the comics very soon! Thank you again!

Cuthbert

Postby Cuthbert » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:03 am

A good male sinking scene as well.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:03 am

paladin wrote:I bought this comic when it first came out back in the early 80s. It was indeed from Somerset Holmes; but, this scene is from a back up series in that comic called Cliff Hanger. Art by the late great Al Williamson. I may even still have my copies of this one somewhere.

Now that I didn't know... thanks for the info! :D

Palinov Jensen

Postby Palinov Jensen » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:40 am

I just thought I'd give a little update. I recently received in the mail both the complete Somerset Holmes mini series in comic book form and in trade paperback form (it was bundled together and cheaper than just purchasing the comics from someone else). Anyway, for anyone wanting to own the comics because of the quicksand scene there are some things that must be mentioned:

1) As someone mentioned before, the quicksand scene is in a back-up comic called Cliffhanger, which is presented in issues 1 and 2 of Somerset Holmes. The trade paperback DOES NOT contain Cliffhanger, well according to my knowledge at the moment. Didn't think to look in the back of the book, but if anything's changed, I'll post another update or edit this post.

2)The story, leading up to the quicksand scene begins in issue 1 and is continued in issue 2. If you only want the quicksand pages, issue 2 is all that needs to be purchased.

3) Everything is relatively easy to get a hold of and is rather cheap.

Return to “Nuggets”