Possible new way to get oobleck??

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
Niveous

Possible new way to get oobleck??

Postby Niveous » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:54 am

Was checking up on youtube for some late night videos, and found this on the front page. Now, I'm no science guy, but that magic mud he has looks a lot like cornstarch, albeit glow it's glowing in the dark. https://youtu.be/_0J4dRqg7CE

tanya_wam

Re: Possible new way to get oobleck??

Postby tanya_wam » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:51 am

I think I've seen that and yes, it's fascinating and looks amazing! But I wonder how much of that magic mud you get per bag of potatoes? Doesn't look like a great deal,and does it go off or rot after a while? :?

Considering potatoes contain a large amount of starch, I suppose this is the key substance in both the magic mud and cornstarch (or as we call it over here, cornflour) ?

8-)
Oh tosh! Tanya retorted, quicksand churning,
Round her knees, then thighs, then oh dear!
It got intimate with her hips and her panties,
And squished rather funnily up her rear!

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:26 pm

tanya_wam wrote:I think I've seen that and yes, it's fascinating and looks amazing! But I wonder how much of that magic mud you get per bag of potatoes? Doesn't look like a great deal,and does it go off or rot after a while? :?

Considering potatoes contain a large amount of starch, I suppose this is the key substance in both the magic mud and cornstarch (or as we call it over here, cornflour) ?

8-)

Cornstarch is obtained from,.... err.,,,, corn. But you are correct that any kind of starch can be used to make oobleck.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

tanya_wam

Postby tanya_wam » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:18 pm

Fred588 wrote:
tanya_wam wrote:I think I've seen that and yes, it's fascinating and looks amazing! But I wonder how much of that magic mud you get per bag of potatoes? Doesn't look like a great deal,and does it go off or rot after a while? :?

8-)

Cornstarch is obtained from,.... err.,,,, corn. But you are correct that any kind of starch can be used to make oobleck.

Didn't I say starch, as opposed to just cornstarch? :?

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:27 am

To increase the efficiency of the process, the potatoes would have to be more finely ground up before being mixed with water, and then finally put through some sort of press to extract as much starchy juice as possible. Then, the mixing with water and pressing could be repeated a few times to collect what was missed from the previous time(s).
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

tanya_wam

Postby tanya_wam » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Boggy Man wrote:To increase the efficiency of the process, the potatoes would have to be more finely ground up before being mixed with water, and then finally put through some sort of press to extract as much starchy juice as possible. Then, the mixing with water and pressing could be repeated a few times to collect what was missed from the previous time(s).

Would it quick and cheaper to just purchase starch? :? Or is it not quite the same as cornstarch or potato starch? :shock:

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:50 pm

tanya_wam wrote:
Boggy Man wrote:To increase the efficiency of the process, the potatoes would have to be more finely ground up before being mixed with water, and then finally put through some sort of press to extract as much starchy juice as possible. Then, the mixing with water and pressing could be repeated a few times to collect what was missed from the previous time(s).

Would it quick and cheaper to just purchase starch? :? Or is it not quite the same as cornstarch or potato starch? :shock:

I have not priced it but I'd expect corn starch to be both cheaper and easier to obtain, at least in the USA. In places where, say, corn is not grown in quantity but potatoes are, that might change I suppose.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Billie Bonce

Postby Billie Bonce » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:34 am

Fred588 wrote:I have not priced it but I'd expect corn starch to be both cheaper and easier to obtain, at least in the USA. In places where, say, corn is not grown in quantity but potatoes are, that might change I suppose.

You are totally right. As soon as I've seen first videos with non-Newtonian liquids, I was wondering what that magic thing named "cornstarch" is. In my part of the world it is totally unknown. Any kids (at least those ones that listen to their teachers in school) know that starch is extracted from potatoes.

I never had starch in volumes larger than a small bucket (it was commonly used to stick wallpapers on walls - and I believe many kinds of wallpaper glue that we purchase in stores now are also based on starch). But I have to admit that:
  • Cornstarch-water mixture that I see in videos is opaque and white, while solute potato starch is colorless and transparent.
  • I have never noticed any substantial thixotropy of solute potato starch - it is just a thick, viscous, sticky liquid. Though I never did any special experiments, to say the truth...
If someone not very competent would be interested in extracting starch from potatoes, I have to mention one thing. High concentration of starch exist in potatoes harvested in autumn. In my country it is the major part of potatoes. But when I was abroad (e.g., in Germany), I noticed that most of potatoes that people can buy in supermarkets is "young potato", which in my country is available since June but not after July. It is healthier for food but it contains much less starch (actually, this is the main reason why it is healthier). So, not any potato is suitable for extracting the starch.
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:12 am

Late in the season, when potatoes are harvested, I must imagine there could be a number of culls thrown out that could be utilized. Of course, since it would be late in the season, the starch would have to be dried and saved for the following year. However, the amount of work needed to acquire enough starch to sink deep into could be a bit daunting, to say the least. :?
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Return to “Nuggets”