DeathTrap quicksand 8pm tonight!

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
Boggy Man

Re: DeathTrap quicksand 8pm tonight!

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:59 am

BogDog wrote:They do point out that the most dangerous quicksand involves water, sand and CLAY. That produces a sticky mixture that is very hard to escape from.

I feel that the most dangerous quicksand involves just water and sand, because the addition of clay slows down (or even stops if there is enough clay) the settling effect of the sand, while just sand and water can settle and pack much more quickly, making you stuck in solid sand much sooner.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Lintime Sinker

Postby Lintime Sinker » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:56 pm

Thanks ! but the trailer is really short ! :o

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:08 pm

Boggy Man wrote:
BogDog wrote:They do point out that the most dangerous quicksand involves water, sand and CLAY. That produces a sticky mixture that is very hard to escape from.

I feel that the most dangerous quicksand involves just water and sand, because the addition of clay slows down (or even stops if there is enough clay) the settling effect of the sand, while just sand and water can settle and pack much more quickly, making you stuck in solid sand much sooner.

Except when you really examine real QS cases in the news, those that become trapped and cannot escape themselves very rarely involve just water and sand. It's almost always some form of muck of water sand and fine silt of some sort. Watching models escape the man-made pits in the Quicksand Screen Tests videos pretty much proves that. So far, only one model has becomes trapped in sand only that I am aware of (in the "Stuck-stuck" video).
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:35 pm

BogDog wrote:
Boggy Man wrote:

Except when you really examine real QS cases in the news, those that become trapped and cannot escape themselves very rarely involve just water and sand. It's almost always some form of muck of water sand and fine silt of some sort. Watching models escape the man-made pits in the Quicksand Screen Tests videos pretty much proves that. So far, only one model has becomes trapped in sand only that I am aware of (in the "Stuck-stuck" video).

There are two elements that often happen in real life that essentially never happened with the man made quicksand I have been involved with;
The first is footwear, which played a huge part in the 'Stuck Stuck' video.
And the other, equally important element is the evacuation of moisture while the person is buried in the sand. I know of a couple members here that can testify first hand how tightly sand can grip when the water makes an exit.

The main take-away is that given the right circumstances, virtually any combination of water, soil, clay and sand can become truly hazardous.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Return to “Nuggets”