BM's Boggy Adventure & BG Pix! Updated 11/5/'23!

Pictures that you took and want to share.
Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Adventure BG Pix! Updated 12/20/'14!

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:01 am

After my previous adventure, I couldn't wait for my next one, but had to wait for the weather to peak in terms of temperatures, as well as giving the area some time to dry out after some rainy weather that happened since then. Finally, on Sunday, September 7'th, I felt that conditions would be optimal. :) Once again, my dad dropped me off up Crescent Road, close to my destination, to reduce the amount of wear on my sensitive knees. :) I took a number of photos of the dirt sideroad that led past the ponds, but am holding off on posting them until I take the "after" shots once the logging company destroys its pristine character in the future.

When I reached my bog, a dreaded large puddle that I had expected to form there from the rain was still covering much of it, even after waiting for things to dry out over a week. :x

2014 09 07 2A Crescent.JPG

I had a sink in the east (far) side of the quagmire, where there was more of it exposed. Things were too cool yet for a submergence, but I did enjoy the gooey exposed stuff. Afterwards, I took photos of muddy areas near the south end of the meadow, on the west side of a smaller pond that was cut off from the other ponds years ago:

2014 09 07 2B Crescent.JPG

2014 09 07 2C Crescent.JPG

These parts are closer to the shore, and contain clay:
2014 09 07 2D Crescent.JPG

2014 09 07 2E Crescent.JPG

To be continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:01 am

My Sunday, September 7'th photos continued (Part 2):

One more pic of the shallow clay spot, roughly 1 foot deep or slightly deeper and shallower in spots:
2014 09 07 2F Crescent.JPG

And, back to my sinking spot, showing the disturbed east side from my first sink of the day:
2014 09 07 2G Crescent.JPG

2014 09 07 2H Crescent.JPG

2014 09 07 2I Crescent.JPG

I then headed northward, taking more "before" road pix, and then made my way to the large meadow to the north containing a quaking bog with soft muddy patches. I had to take off my shoes and socks to walk around it because the mossy grassy ground was saturated and quaked when I walked on it. I took an overall photo from the south side, as well as some zoomed in ones:

2014 09 07 2J Meadow North Of Crescent.JPG

To be continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:02 am

My Sunday, September 7'th photos continued (Part 3):

More views of the boggy area, looking northward:
2014 09 07 2K Meadow North Of Crescent.JPG

2014 09 07 2L Meadow North Of Crescent.JPG

And one more photo of a muddy spot on the south side:
2014 09 07 2M Meadow North Of Crescent.JPG

I headed around the east side of the boggy area, over to an open mucky hole in the boggy vegetation (I had a videoed sink there Sept 30'th, 2012), got the camera ready, got into position to take the shot...

And suddenly, one of my legs broke through the floating, quaking mat of moss/grass, causing me to fall down :shock: , a sight that would have been rather comedic if anyone had been there to witness it! :lol: I had to clean off my leg before returning and finally taking that photo, as well as others of the muddy patches around that boggy area (you can see the disturbed rusty colored spots in these two photos where I had carefully tested the bog's softness):

Where I had sunk back in 2012:
2014 09 07 2N Meadow North Of Crescent.JPG

Another open spot to the north of the one in the previous photo:
2014 09 07 2O Meadow North Of Crescent.JPG

To be continued...
Last edited by Boggy Man on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:20 am, edited 6 times in total.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

My Sunday, September 7'th photos continued (Part 4):

A closer view of the part of the loose peat on the north end (upper right) of the previous photo. This adjacent spot looks like where an animal that had stumbled into this soft stretch of mire had exited at the top of the photo, judging by the mud dragged up onto the grass:
2014 09 07 2P Meadow North Of Crescent.JPG

Close-up of the mud dragged up onto the grass:
2014 09 07 2Q Meadow North Of Crescent.JPG

And, a couple more pix of the boggy area:
2014 09 07 2R Meadow North Of Crescent.JPG

2014 09 07 2S Meadow North Of Crescent.JPG

I then headed to a meadow further east of the one with the bog, to check out a mucky area where there is a shallow seasonal pond, which disappears quickly, leaving lots of black muck. I found it to be quite thick, but shallow, being only around a foot deep. However, I was tempted to play in it, so I mushed up a large area with my feet(Oops, got my shadow in the lower right part of the photo):

2014 09 07 2T Meadow Northeast Of Crescent.JPG

To be concluded...
Last edited by Boggy Man on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:32 am, edited 7 times in total.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

My Sunday, September 7'th photos concluded (Part 5):

Another photo of the mushed up area:
2014 09 07 2U Meadow Northeast Of Crescent.JPG

I headed back to the other meadow with the bog, which had water for cleanup, to undress there, in preparation for returning to my mushed up spot. But, while I was heading westward to the meadow with the quaking bog, I came to realize that the mud was going to be too thick to sink in for any horizontal wallow, and wouldn't be worth the effort. :? I had vastly superior stuff at my main Crescent Road pond, namely my deep spot, as well as the shallower clay spot for playing horizontally in. So, I got my things and returned to my Crescent Road pond, noticing that the water level in the puddle dropped slightly, although still not as much as I wanted, but at least it was dropping fast enough to be slightly noticeable that same day:

2014 09 07 2V Crescent.JPG

I then decided to have a videoed sink using my breathing tube to stay under the surface for an extended period of time, using swim goggles to keep the mud out of my eyes, and a latex swim cap to keep my hair dry because cleanup water was getting cooler at this late time of the season. Gamwam, you finally got your wish! 8-)

After that, I had more private muddy fun, including a stimulating horizontal sink in the thick shallow clay mud further to the south. Here are a couple of pix of my main bog at the end of the day:

2014 09 07 2W Crescent.JPG

2014 09 07 2X Crescent.JPG

I was happy that my knees weren't much of a problem this time, although during my hiking back from the meadow north of the Crescent Road pond, the outside of my right knee was feeling a bit sensitive for a while. As I headed towards home (actually towards my pick-up point), I picked some Shaggy Mane mushrooms. I got picked up by my dad down in the valley, after my long downhill descent. At home, my mom was very pleased about the mushrooms.

So, I managed to get a second outing, with an extended submergence caught on video, bubbles and all, which I was very happy about! :D One more 2014 adventure left! :)

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:00 am

woooooo! - I got a mention! cant wait for the video :)

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:00 am

gamwam wrote:woooooo! - I got a mention! cant wait for the video :)

For some reason, the scene is a bit on the blurry side, and I have to fiddle with the sharpen filter to see if I can improve the picture quality. :? I am glad that this time, the annoying wind drowned out a smaller percentage of the audio than in my previous breathing hose video. So, there is a lot of muddy bubbling to listen to! :)

Just a reminder to those who may have missed it, that my adventure pix contain multiple parts (in this case, 5 postings), with the others on the previous page. 8-)

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Adventure BG Pix! Updated 01/07/'15!

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:32 am

On Tuesday, September 16'th, on another peak weather day, I had my third and final outing of this abbreviated 2014 season. Once again, I had my dad drop me off up Crescent Road, but had to do so a bit earlier this time. Since I had to wait a little longer for it to warm up before I could do any sinking, I decided to check out a beaver pond further to the west, southeast of Min Lake, which looked like it had huge banks of mud along its shoreline, according to Google Maps:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.1362977,-119.1522857,251m/data=!3m1!1e3

So, taking care not to stress my knees, I headed further west in low gear, remembering that the access was where the road curved to the north before Min Lake. When I came to a northward turn, I then walked my bike a ways down a trail to the south, hiding it in the bush, and continued southward on foot. But, it seemed to be a lot further away than I had anticipated, and when I finally came across the marshy area, I was faced with a tangled jungle of tall willows, which I had to slowly make my way through, hoping to break out into the clearing at any moment. But, it soon became apparent that I was in the wrong place, and that the area of interest was further to the northwest. Not wanting to backtrack through the tangled mess of willows, I decided to continue in the same direction to reach the southwest side, and follow the edge of the forest and higher ground there northwestwards to the meadow with the pond. But, what I thought was the other side was only a high spot with evergreens, and therefore had to make my way through some more willows before finally reaching the actual southwest side, where the going was easier. I followed it to a beaver dam, and upon passing it to the meadow, I was disappointed to see that what looked like a giant mud bank was nothing more than dry, dusty bare ground adjacent to the water. :( Here is a photo of the area. I went through all that trouble to find this :x :

2014 09 16 3A Meadow SE Of Min Lake.JPG

I then headed northward into the bush, following an animal trail, and within minutes, I came out beside the CORRECT northward bend in the road! I knew that I should have gone further down the road on my bike! :x But, at least with the extra hiking through the willows and forest, and then back up the road to get back to my bike, I gave the sun plenty of time to warm things up nicely, so that by the time I returned to my Crescent Road pond, snacking on lunch along the way, it was nice enough to start sinking. 8-)

I was happy to see that the dry weather finally evaporated almost all of the puddle on my sinking spot, although there were still a few tiny pockets of water on the surface. Doesn't it look inviting? Even more so if you were to see it moving!:

2014 09 16 3B Crescent.JPG

2014 09 16 3C Crescent.JPG

While it was warm enough to do some sinking, things still hadn't warmed up enough for any submergences. So, I decided to have an off-camera sink first, enjoying the mud and getting it mushed up to eliminate the water in the center completely. I first walked around to the southeast side, where I pretended to "stumble" into the southeast corner, the same place I had gone under with the breathing hose last time. I sunk up to my stomach or chest before pulling myself out, taking note of how much effort it took to escape, and imagining how I was lucky to be within reach of solid vegetation to pull myself out, that if it was out of reach, then there was no way to escape the deadly bog. Then, at that moment, standing on the east side, I "stumbled" into the center of the patch, the muddy water/watery mud on the surface splattering all over, including a little on my glasses, which I wore because I wasn't going under. I then enjoyed the mud and struggled, pretending to be caught and sinking to my demise, really stirring up the mud all over the place, eliminating the water on the surface, turning the entire pit into a wonderful mess of quagmire. Here are some shots of it afterward. Wouldn't you just love to jump in? Seeing it in motion makes it even more alluring!:

2014 09 16 3D Crescent.JPG

2014 09 16 3E Crescent.JPG

To Be Continued...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:33 am

My Tuesday, September 16'th Adventure pix, Concluded (Part 2):

Close-ups of the edge of my inviting, doughy quagmire:

2014 09 16 3F Crescent.JPG

2014 09 16 3G Crescent.JPG

After I was clean, dry and dressed up again, while waiting for myself and the mud/water to warm up enough for a submergence, I walked further up the sideroad, and located the area that was to be logged, which was marked by a bunch of ribbons. Beyond that, no more ribbons. I then followed the road to its very end, something that I had been wanting to do for years, being happy and relieved to see that it [/b]DID[/b] terminate in the woods, and wasn't a thru-road. :) I then headed back to have my videoed sink, brainstorming about what to do for the sinking video along the way. I finally settled on trying out a fresh new scenario that I had been thinking about for some time, and hoped that it would work.

Once again, for the second time this season, the camera was set up properly, with all of the action within full view (unlike the first video of the season), and I was happy with the results. :) Hopefully others will be happy with it too. 8-) After the video, I had a more private struggle session ;) in the shallower clay further to the south before calling it a day, getting cleaned up, air-dried and dressed. Here are some final pictures of the bog at the end of the day (lower light levels adversely affected the quality of the final two photos):

2014 09 16 3H Crescent.JPG

There's a frog in my bog! Too bad there weren't any lovely ladies there to go chasing after it. "Here froggy, froggy!" :twisted:

2014 09 16 3I Crescent.JPG

2014 09 16 3J Crescent.JPG

And that concluded my abbreviated season of sinking. My knees were slightly sensitive, but not too bad. I was disappointed that a spot that looked good on Google Maps/Earth turned out to be a bust, and that I had to choose the long way there. Looking at the map later on, I realized that I wasn't too far away from another spot I had my eyes on just a little further to the west that was worthy of exploring, but I will save that for next season. I wasn't able to check it out before years ago due to it being exposed by logging, but the forest has regrown around it, and now it is hidden from sight:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.1390938, ... a=!3m1!1e3

And, there is also a second pond that I would like to check out that is to the south of the above one, although it doesn't have a surrounding meadow:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.1349678, ... a=!3m1!1e3

I just hope that my knees can improve by next spring, so that I can eliminate my annoying restrictions, and even reach an area much further away, which I discovered on Google Maps/Earth a year earlier:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.0235584, ... a=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.0226727, ... a=!3m1!1e3

But, at least the final submergence sink of the year I shot was something that I hope people will find very entertaining. 8-)

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

YerK

Postby YerK » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:18 am

Boggy: Your pictures need more women! ;-) You could be a producer.

Return to “Photos”