Ok, We're Up, But ....

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Ok, We're Up, But ....

Postby dlodoski » Thu May 09, 2024 7:08 pm

Hi Guys,

We just had an outage related to database issues associated with a server migration. The main server function could not connect to the database because the name/path changed.

The part that stings is that the error was introduced on 3/29, but because of caching, it did not manifest until yesterday. Resolving the problem involved deleting the cache. So everything that happened since 3/29 just went bye-bye.

I apologize (on behalf of our hosting provider) for any inconvenience this may have caused.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

bogbud

Re: Ok, We're Up, But ....

Postby bogbud » Thu May 09, 2024 7:19 pm

Oh wow. This is bad, but a relief having you folks back!
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Black Clay Lord

Postby Black Clay Lord » Thu May 09, 2024 7:24 pm

Dang. Well, that means I gotta reshare what I wrote...
There is but one certainty - every end marks a new beginning. "—and methodically knocking peoples' hats off. Then I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I ca—"

Herzeleid

Postby Herzeleid » Thu May 09, 2024 7:44 pm

I was beginning to wonder if the problem might have been with my computer, but thankfully not. good to have you back, Dave, as I was starting to get withdrawa
l symptoms ! :)
"Gott weiss ich will kein engel sein" ( God knows I don't want to be an angel )
_ Rammstein, "Engel"

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Thu May 09, 2024 7:53 pm

Herzeleid wrote:I was beginning to wonder if the problem might have been with my computer, but thankfully not. good to have you back, Dave, as I was starting to get withdrawa
l symptoms ! :)

Understood. :-)

I did receive an email from GoDaddy on 3/29, notifying me of the completed migration. So I did check basic functions at the time - which all seemed ok. I had no idea that such a basic (and important!) configuration error could be masked by caching.

GTorborg77

Postby GTorborg77 » Thu May 09, 2024 8:22 pm

Glad to see you back up. I work in IT, so I know what a nightmare this kind of thing is. I can re-upload my stories, no problem. One thing that will need to be re-done is my username change. Do I need to re-make my request for that in "Technical?" or can I make it here? I'll await your answer before doing anything. Thanks.

Quicksand-Lover-7

Postby Quicksand-Lover-7 » Thu May 09, 2024 8:31 pm

So all of that got deleted for good. Aw man that really sucks! :oops:

cerberus

Postby cerberus » Thu May 09, 2024 9:21 pm

Good grief! That must have been fraught. I hope you have clamed down now and can relax a bit, remember alcohol only works up to a point. Are you going to have a go at them about recovering the cached data or has that gone for good? At the very least you should be aiming to get some free time out of them to compensate for the loss of about 6 weeks work. Somebody at Godaddy needs to be sacked as well, that mistake was unforgivable and I find it inconceivable that their testing and procedures are so poor that, not only did it happen, but it went six weeks before it was detected!
Cerberus

Johnny Dowd: Be content with your life. It may not get any better!

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Thu May 09, 2024 9:59 pm

GTorborg77 wrote:Glad to see you back up. I work in IT, so I know what a nightmare this kind of thing is. I can re-upload my stories, no problem. One thing that will need to be re-done is my username change. Do I need to re-make my request for that in "Technical?" or can I make it here? I'll await your answer before doing anything. Thanks.

Thank you for the empathy.

Lost postings are not quite the same as lost work, although for some, it might feel like it.

I'll be happy to change the name again, but you'll have to remind of the new one.

rhinodynamo

Postby rhinodynamo » Thu May 09, 2024 11:18 pm

So is this why my May AI post disappeared? I was worried I did something wrong.

Return to “General Discussion”