Stephen King books

It can't hurt to ask for stuff - nicely, that is...
quickman

Stephen King books

Postby quickman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Any Stephen King fans out there know which books to suggest that have quicksand scenes? I know of a few but I'm sure there must be more.
"The Dead Zone" had a scene where a man drowns in quicksand. There were also mentions of it in "IT" and "Salem's Lot". Any other's that I should look out for?

PM2K
Always Remembered

Re: Stephen King books

Postby PM2K » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:42 pm

quickman wrote:Any Stephen King fans out there know which books to suggest that have quicksand scenes? I know of a few but I'm sure there must be more.
"The Dead Zone" had a scene where a man drowns in quicksand. There were also mentions of it in "IT" and "Salem's Lot". Any other's that I should look out for?

Those are the only ones I know of... alas. He also hinted of it in Pet Semitary. (His spelling)

quickman

Postby quickman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 am

I'll look into that one

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:44 pm

It's also mentioned in passing in one of the Gunslinger novels. Might be Wolves of the Calla but not 100% sure. The only actual sinking scene he ever wrote is the one in Dead Zone though.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

SmileyMcDeath

Postby SmileyMcDeath » Sat May 06, 2017 8:27 am

Mynock wrote:It's also mentioned in passing in one of the Gunslinger novels. Might be Wolves of the Calla but not 100% sure. The only actual sinking scene he ever wrote is the one in Dead Zone though.

That was an...intensely described scene. Enough to give you a major case of the shivers.

It's exactly what you'd expect from a quicksand scene penned by Stephen King. He doesn't skimp out on the horrific details.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Sat May 06, 2017 11:39 pm

SmileyMcDeath wrote:
Mynock wrote:It's also mentioned in passing in one of the Gunslinger novels. Might be Wolves of the Calla but not 100% sure. The only actual sinking scene he ever wrote is the one in Dead Zone though.

That was an...intensely described scene. Enough to give you a major case of the shivers.

It's exactly what you'd expect from a quicksand scene penned by Stephen King. He doesn't skimp out on the horrific details.

It's a favorite bit of prose for me precisely for that reason. ;)

Oh, I forgot to add his novel It, when the kids are speculating whether this muddy area could be quickmud or not if one waded all the way into it.

gilligansunder

Postby gilligansunder » Mon May 15, 2017 3:40 am

"It's a favorite bit of prose for me precisely for that reason. ;)

Oh, I forgot to add his novel It, when the kids are speculating whether this muddy area could be quickmud or not if one waded all the way into it."

I was so disappointed to learn that there was a QS scene in the Dead Zone and they never included it in either TV or film. As for the IT scene are you sure you're not thinking of "The Body" (better known as Stand By Me)? Because there was a scene very similar to what you're describing.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Mon May 15, 2017 5:23 pm

gilligansunder wrote:"It's a favorite bit of prose for me precisely for that reason. ;)

Oh, I forgot to add his novel It, when the kids are speculating whether this muddy area could be quickmud or not if one waded all the way into it."

I was so disappointed to learn that there was a QS scene in the Dead Zone and they never included it in either TV or film. As for the IT scene are you sure you're not thinking of "The Body" (better known as Stand By Me)? Because there was a scene very similar to what you're describing.

Forgot about The Body...

As for It, there is a brief bit when one of the kids, can't remember who, looked over the muddy expanse down in the gully where the Losers Club hung out... he thought if one went all the way out into it, it would turn to quickmud. That was the only reference and nothing came of it, alas.

gilligansunder

Postby gilligansunder » Thu May 25, 2017 5:10 am

Forgot about The Body...

As for It, there is a brief bit when one of the kids, can't remember who, looked over the muddy expanse down in the gully where the Losers Club hung out... he thought if one went all the way out into it, it would turn to quickmud. That was the only reference and nothing came of it, alas.

It's probably for the best considering most of the main characters are kids. But that could have been used as a device for pennywise to use on one of the bullies or one of the main characters when they were full grown latter in the story, say one of them had a fear of being buried alive?

Return to “Requests”