Southern Alberta Quicksand/Deep Mud Locations?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Solrex

Southern Alberta Quicksand/Deep Mud Locations?

Postby Solrex » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:15 pm

Exactly what the title says. Are there any locations in southern Alberta that have nice deep mud? I'll share what I know as well.

The tabor campground has some seasonal mud in random spots over by the river. It's usually a search around for where the mud cropped up this time. Usually knee to waist deep. The river provides good clean up. Also found some cool middle/clam shells that shone beautifully in that mud.

I've heard that in the fall, at walley's beach over by cardston, the water level recedes, and that quicksand can be found there. There was actually an article on the news about it. Never been to it myself, would love to be able to drive out there once I learn to drive.

I know of a place I went to as a kid where the public beach was a bit soft and by an underground spring. We boated to a beach on the other side of the lake, and the beach was quicksand. I only got to sink ankle deep though since my whole family was with me and I was probably under the age of 8 at the time, and due to my dad sinking over by the boat, I rushed back to the boat. Would love to return to that place, have to ask my parents where that was. I also need a way to cross the river. My best guess would be that it was somewhere near Calgary, but I could totally be off.

I have visited a rather flat lake in the past, and found some mud in that. Now that I think about it, it might have been walley's beach not during the fall when the water level recedes.

The problem with these places is that either they are not very deep or I haven't been able to explore them during the right time. If anyone knows of any more locations in the area of southern Alberta, be sure to tell me so that I can add them to this list and know them for myself. I'll also do some research into that quicksand beach, I just remember standing on the beach and sinking into it without having to work my legs into it, that I had to keep walking around to avoid sinking in at that age.

Solrex

Re: Southern Alberta Quicksand/Deep Mud Locations?

Postby Solrex » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:23 pm

So I asked about the place, and I found out it was called Jensen's Reservoir, after I looked up Jensen's Dam on Google Maps. I'm almost certain this is the place, and I wanted to add this to the list of spots in southern Alberta that could have quicksand. This is where I think I remember the spot being...

IMG_8670.JPG

This seems right to my memory. Anyways, it's not just mud, it's actual quicksand, providing my young childhood memory is correct. If someone could prove me right or wrong, that would be great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lonesinker

Postby lonesinker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:46 pm

I noticed an article about quicksand in north east Alberta if that helps on this conservation trail at Elk Is.park,its called Hayburger trail.There are patches of deep quicksand in close proximity of the trail in the meadows. Apparently there are warning signs

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:59 am

lonesinker wrote:I noticed an article about quicksand in north east Alberta if that helps on this conservation trail at Elk Is.park,its called Hayburger trail.There are patches of deep quicksand in close proximity of the trail in the meadows. Apparently there are warning signs

And here is a YouTube video of one person's too close encounter with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHJa6DYKy4
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

lonesinker

Postby lonesinker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:55 pm

Wow BoggyMan..thanks for that. It also proves my point that you can find quicksand while hiking :) Also wonders how many curious people go a little further to check it out

Return to “General Discussion”