Washington Locations?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Vorebird

Washington Locations?

Postby Vorebird » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:11 pm

Deciding to revisit this site again. Just wondering if anyone knows any deep muddy locations in Washington State, preferably anywhere at or near the Whidbey Island area.

mudxdresser

Re: Washington Locations?

Postby mudxdresser » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:42 pm

Not aware of all that much in Washington, Coos Bay in Oregon is the mudflat that is always mentioned as having somewhat good mud...

DangerGirl

Postby DangerGirl » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:47 am

Have you tried Useless Bay or Cultus Bay at the south end of the island? The mud flats at the estuary just south of Stanwood might have something, too.

Vorebird

Postby Vorebird » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:34 am

DangerGirl wrote:Have you tried Useless Bay or Cultus Bay at the south end of the island? The mud flats at the estuary just south of Stanwood might have something, too.

I might check those out but I did eventually find an area that seems promising rn, although publicity might be a problem

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:47 pm

mudxdresser wrote:Not aware of all that much in Washington, Coos Bay in Oregon is the mudflat that is always mentioned as having somewhat good mud...

Haven't heard of any mud in Coos Bay... any way to find out more info on it?

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:03 pm

DangerGirl wrote:Have you tried Useless Bay or Cultus Bay at the south end of the island? The mud flats at the estuary just south of Stanwood might have something, too.

Just checked them out on Google maps. They seem like they might have some potential. Has anyone ever gone out to check them out? They seem pretty exposed though.

mudxdresser

Postby mudxdresser » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:32 pm

There are pictures from the Coos Bay mudflats that have appeared from time to time on the Internet...

DeepSink

Postby DeepSink » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:34 am

About 2 miles west of Longview, WA, on state route 4 (known locally as Ocean Beach Hwy) there is a long turn-out on the north side of the road. Park in the turn-out and hike down the embankment to the stream down there at low tide (because the Columbia follows the ocean tide) and you will find awesome, smooth, soft, bottomless (really, I can sink over my head if I work at it) river mud. There's a bend in the stream that gets you out of sight of the highway, and even a little stream water running through even at the lowest tides so that you can clean up when you are through. Buy a tide table and look for a nice low (or even minus tide). Keep in mind that the timing for Stella (which is close by) is adjusted about 4.5 hours behind the ocean tide. I've had some incredibly great sinks there. If you go there, let me know what you think! DeepSink :mrgreen:

canyouendure

Postby canyouendure » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Padila Bay. Direct access from the state park and even a shower. A little public but "exploring" the mud flats is encouraged and expected. The nature center nearby even does monthly tours.

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:24 am

DeepSink wrote:About 2 miles west of Longview, WA, on state route 4 (known locally as Ocean Beach Hwy) there is a long turn-out on the north side of the road. Park in the turn-out and hike down the embankment to the stream down there at low tide (because the Columbia follows the ocean tide) and you will find awesome, smooth, soft, bottomless (really, I can sink over my head if I work at it) river mud. There's a bend in the stream that gets you out of sight of the highway, and even a little stream water running through even at the lowest tides so that you can clean up when you are through. Buy a tide table and look for a nice low (or even minus tide). Keep in mind that the timing for Stella (which is close by) is adjusted about 4.5 hours behind the ocean tide. I've had some incredibly great sinks there. If you go there, let me know what you think! DeepSink :mrgreen:

Hey, I saw that location on the map and thought about checking it out when I was driving around out there last year, but I wasn't sure how reliable the information was for a detour. But sounds like it's a pretty awesome place? Thanks for sharing!

Return to “General Discussion”