How did homemade pits turn out

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
mud_dreamer

Re: How did homemade pits turn out

Postby mud_dreamer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:17 pm

dlodoski wrote:These things always involve a bit of trial and error - perhaps preferably in a five gallon bucket.

In any case, if you're looking for a 'spa' feel, I recommend ball (pottery) clays. Nice and creamy, with good plasticity (something utterly lacking in Bentonite).

Agreed. I need to do a few more trials before pulling the trigger on the material. I want to avoid having any regrets after doing all this work.

In the MPV video of Stormy Rose and Melody (Clay Pit Orientation from Quicksand Variety Pack #5) ... the scene where the two of them are dunking each other is one of my all-time favorites. Do you know if that was ball clay or kaolin clay?

If the pit was in Tennessee or Kentucky, it was likely ball clay. If that pit was in Georgia, it was likely kaolin.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:16 pm

mud_dreamer wrote:Agreed. I need to do a few more trials before pulling the trigger on the material. I want to avoid having any regrets after doing all this work.

In the MPV video of Stormy Rose and Melody (Clay Pit Orientation from Quicksand Variety Pack #5) ... the scene where the two of them are dunking each other is one of my all-time favorites. Do you know if that was ball clay or kaolin clay?

If the pit was in Tennessee or Kentucky, it was likely ball clay. If that pit was in Georgia, it was likely kaolin.

The clay distributor I use has a large variety of clays, so it's really not a matter of geographical location. In any case, I have used mostly Kentucky Ball Clay (OM-4) at Camp MPV. The only time I used an alternate was in the mud tub. My knowledge of Kaolin is that it has perhaps less elasticity (stickier) than Kentucky Ball clay but is very bright in color (basically white). So I have always avoided it for that reason.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

mud_dreamer

Postby mud_dreamer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 pm

Thank you Dave for all your expert input.

I'll try adding more water to my test sample. I am currently at 5 lbs ball clay to 3.5 quarts water. It has the consistency of heavy cake frosting, not self-leveling so more water is indicated for what I am now after which again is more of a clay slurry. This increased amount of water will help reduce cost slightly and it should help to make eventual disposal easier.

With all this said ... last night I decided to put the mud spa project on hold. I am a little anxious about taking the next step which is insulating and lining the pit. Heating system and clean-up facility follows that. Future disposal has me a little concerned. Somewhere in between all that is purchasing, hauling, mixing, and installing a ton of clay. :o

At the same time, I am being hit from many directions with non-stop requests by family and friends. I also have a few large projects that I started and now need to be finished. I am sure that many of you know what this is like. Then there is the small matter of all my other hobbies and interests that have not been getting the attention they deserve.

All this is taking the fun out of constructing the mud spa. It also risks my wife viewing this negatively. :cry:

I am sorry if I disappoint anyone who was hoping to get some ideas from me for their own mud pit. For the time being, I might just set some containers filled with clay in the bottom of the pit and "muck" around in them.

Pictures could be forthcoming!! 8-)

Thanks for listening.
mud_dreamer

Return to “General Discussion”